Elderly Instruments

pdxuke

Reaction score
Hello My Very Special Ukulele Friends:

I've done great business with MGM, and Uke Republic. I have yet to do business with Elderly Instruments( http://www.elderly.com)

Has anyone had a positive experience with this company?

I bought a few Oasis hygrometers from Elderly's website. Great experience, very fast shipment, and reasonable prices.

I've bought lots of things from Elderly over the years, ranging from Christmas stocking stuffers to a new Martin. I've nevdr had anything bet positive experiences with them.

If you shop around you can usually beat their prices by a bit, but their service and selection is hard to beat.

they have been in business at least 20 years. That says alot.

I've never heard anything bad about Elderly.

They are great. I have bought a music stand, many books and strings from them. They also have good customer service (I had to cancel an order and they were very helpful over the phone -- something that is far too often hard to find).

I visit the actual store once a month for a ukulele meetup. Stan Werbin the owner plays ukulele with our group. I have traded and bought instruments, books, etc.. and never had a problem. This is a store where you can pick up a 20,000$ guitar and check it out without someone breathing down your neck. Btw: the name came from a newspaper add that was offering a nice "elderly instrument" for sale.
www.elderly.com/articles/fullfilling.html

Enough said, but adding my two cents.... "Elderly" is legendary for their service, instrument setup, repairs, overwhelming inventory, great pricing and just a unique almost reverent experience if you ever visit. I live about 4 hours away and I often make the trip. I have purchased 7 or 8 guitars, a mandolin, and loads of strings and other supplies. I have never purchased a Uke from Stan but he is showing a 6 string Ohana I would love to get up there and play.

Stan is also just an all around good guy and knows his customers. Having a great deal of experience with Martin guitars, Stan asked me to an interview with the NY Times on the new Martin "1" series last summer. I was amazed to get a personal call from Stan suggesting of all his customers I was the "voice" needed for this interview. Factually, I am just an anal schmuck about tone woods and acoustic instruments. Stan could have chosen any number of customers for the interview, but.... I think it speaks to Stan and the whole Elderly staff as to how they know and treat customers.

Doug

I've bought four used guitars from Elderly and never had a problem. The instruments have always arrived as advertised, and would recommend them. For example, one of the instruments that I purchased was advertised as being in mint condition, and when I receiveid it, it definitely looked as if it was brand new. I've never bought a ukulele from them, but if (when?) I buy another guitar, it will almost surely be from Elderly. One disclaimer is that I haven't used Elderly in recent years.

Freddie

Thank you all. My Sopranino arrived from Elderly as advertised (see pic in sig line). Very pleased and will buy from them again. wish I lived near their shop! (Of course, there's all that snow...)

Great source for accessories. I did much stocking stuffer shopping online with them this Christmas. There were a good few things that made my husband question where I'd found things he couldn't find.
Meanwhile, the soprano Tiki Flea he bought me for Christmas came from Elderly. The only other Fleas and Flukes I'd ever had my hands on were at Sam Ash. Including a Tiki Flea. The one that came from Elderly was nicer. I'm pretty sure it must've been checked over. Absolutely lovely. I deemed it the nicest sounding Flea I've yet encountered. So much so that I don't even feel like I have to change out the stock strings, they're right.

Another thing of note is that they attend, sponsor and participate in music festivals and gatherings. They are part of the community, not just a "store". The prices may be slightly higher than some bargain stores, but these are the folks to support and patronize. They carry a wide variety of instruments, you can go there and play them, and try them out and see the quality and build first hand - can't do that with someone who drop-ships. I have never heard a disparraging word about them in the 30+ years I have played banjo, uilleann pipes and ukulele.

Yes, I too can give a big thumbs up for Elderly. I buy parts mostly, tuners, bridges, strings, etc. and they have always come through for me quickly and accurately. Even shipping to Hawaii they''ve been pretty fast.

I have bought my two guitars from Elderly's and both times their costomer service was top notch. most recently I purchased an ovation celebrity and they sold me a hard case for very little. Elderly is where I go for my music needs.

Top Bottom