Low G string question

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I bought from MGM a Kala solid acacia tenor with a low G string. I love the ukulele (and I generally like the low G sound) but the low G string seems to overwhelm the other strings when I strum -- it seems to sound louder or I notice it more than the other notes in the chords. The low G string is a wound Aquila, and I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with this string and whether it might be because the string is "structurally" different from the other strings. (To test this theory, I'd lie to try a low G string made of nylgut or flurocarbon.) If you've used a wound Aquila low G string and had the same reaction to it that I'm having, what have you done to solve this problem? Can anyone recommend a good low G string that might blend better with the other strings? Thanks for any help or advice!

I like my Worth Clear LG set. It sounds pretty balanced to me, and is warm and full.

But I have had problems with wound C strings sticking out more than the other strings, with greater sustain and more volume, so I try to avoid them, and use all flouracarbon sets like Worths.

I use an Aquila Low G and experienced the same thing when I first put it on. I had to adjust my strumming style in order to hit the G at a slightly different angle. When struck dead on, it is MUCH louder than a High G would be and from what I understand, it is louder than an unwound Low G is as well. I have never used an unwound Low G so I can't speak about them.

I will say that I was VERY skeptical about the Aquila Low G for the first couple days. I actually tried to take it off and put the High G back on but bc the High G ad been cut down to fit perfectly, it was too short for me to put it back on. In hindsight now, I am very happy that that happened. It gave me the opportunity to continue to play the Low G and develop strumming techniques to get the most out of it. After about 5 or 6 days, the string really started to sound nice and I absolutley love it. I have a High G string coming in the mail but I will probably not put it on any time soon. Hell, I may never go back to High G, I enjoy the Low G that much.

My advice would be to keep at it for another week or two. If you still dont like it, try a Fleuro Low G and see if that is any better. I am interested in trying one myself, but I like the Aquila so much that I am in NO hurry to try a different one. Hope this helps.

I guess, as far as the strumming goes, adjust the way you strike the strings. Once you figure it out, I think you will really like the wound G.

Just my :2cents: My opinion may be different once I try an unwound G but for now, I LOVE my wound one :D

Even with the non-wound Low G Worth string you will have to ease back a bit on that string to make it sound balanced. But, I do think the unwound string blends better with the other strings, and because it is not wound, you don't get the "buzzy squeak" of your fingerprints rubbing over the wound grooves when you change chords or move up and down the neck. That "sound" has really started to bug me on the guitar, and it is wonderfully silent on my ukuleles. I tried some Kala Red strings, which have a wound texture, and didn't like the "buzzy squeaking". So all of my ukes have nothing but non-wound strings from Worth or Aquila.

–Lori

On my wound Low G's I add a wound C and use Aquilla E & A's it seems to make a world of difference the wound G & C balance each other out.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I like the lkow G sound but don't like the way the wound low G string seems to overwhelm the other strings on the ukulele. I'll try some of the strings you've suggested.

Top Bottom