What sort of uke stings did they sell me?

GreatGazukes

Reaction score
Ok, lets preface this by saynig that till 3 weeks ago I knew nothing at all about music. Full Stop.

My concert Uke sounds "not quite right" I replaced an A string with one from a D'Addario pack. The others in the pack are for notes B F# and D.

(First shop sold me a wound guitar A sting (.029) and my ear very quickly said "WR:eek:NG!!!!!!") No ukulele string stock in till New Year, they do stock Wirths.

Second shop had a set of Mahalo's for soprano which I bought as a stop gap. (will they be not right for a concert?)

Third shop sold me the D'Addario but me thinks they are for a tenor or baritone and that with my size concert the A string wont be the right "timbre" (is that the right word?).

Any Advice??

Dumbfoundedly yours, Tony

PS Thanks to UU I was able to string these, thanks all. Due to UU thread search I'll be looking for the wirths.

Ok, lets preface this by saynig that till 3 weeks ago I knew nothing at all about music. Full Stop.
Welcome!

Second shop had a set of Mahalo's for soprano which I bought as a stop gap. (will they be not right for a concert?)

They'll probably work. My husband wound up purchasing as a momentary compromise a set of Martin soprano/concerts strings for his tenor. They did the job.

Thanks for the reply Sambient,

I'll spend a bit of time tomorrow searching further afield to see if I can get some better strings. But I need concerts, correct? The shop assistants haven't been too knowledgeable so far. :mad:

Luckiliy not snow bound in here, on the contrary likely to be a scorcher. Ah! summer holidays :cool:

Thanks, Tony

Around here guitar shops always seem to stock Martin uke strings. Their new fluorocarbon strings (soprano/concert size) aren't bad by any means - though they're not quite Worth clears. If you come across them I wouldn't hesitate to try them out.

FWIW the soprano Mahalos should work fine.

Around here guitar shops always seem to stock Martin uke strings. Their new fluorocarbon strings (soprano/concert size) aren't bad by any means - though they're not quite Worth clears.QUOTE]

Yeah, All I get locally are Martins. I've resigned myself to buying strings online. My only uke that likes Martins is my little sopranino, so I bought a couple of packs for it. All my other ukes like black nylon which I have to order.
Ernest

I have had a lot of trouble picking strings as well. Brands label them different, use different gauges, and all around try to confuse me lol!

The easiest and simplest way i found so far, (keep in mind I dont even get my Uke till monday lol), Is to buy some Aquila strings on ebay. I just bought some for my concert for less than 6 dollars including shipping and it was super easy! The auctions for them are labeled "Aquila Concert Ukulele Strings." Other brands i have noticed being "coded." they use alphanumerical labeling that is hard for me to understand.

Not to mention, everyone on UU seem to love Aquila strings!

To have them shipped to you its less than a dollar for first class mail. You probably have spent well over a dollar in gas trying to locate some strings at local shops.

Lats,

TreF

My concert Uke sounds "not quite right" I replaced an A string with one from a D'Addario pack. The others in the pack are for notes B F# and D.

(First shop sold me a wound guitar A sting (.029) and my ear very quickly said "WR:eek:NG!!!!!!") No ukulele string stock in till New Year, they do stock Wirths.

Third shop sold me the D'Addario but me thinks they are for a tenor or baritone and that with my size concert the A string wont be the right "timbre" (is that the right word?).

Any Advice??

Dumbfoundedly yours, Tony

PS Thanks to UU I was able to string these, thanks all. Due to UU thread search I'll be looking for the wirths.

Hey Tony,
One word...."MGM" or "musicguymic" on ebay. If you need good, dependable service....he is the guy to see. Lives in Hawaii, and deals ukuleles and supplies. Here's his link. If cant decide for yourself, shoot him an email, tell him what kind of uke you got and he's get you what you need. Aloha, Dino

http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics...248QQ_sidZ34517586QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Thanks for you'all for your input. Appreciative this end.

I perserverred with the "A" D'Addario for several days but the twanging was causing me heartache, cos the other strings just didn't have that twang. I suppose I have gotten used to the soft sound of the cheap stings my Samich uke was supplied with. UGH. So as soon as the music shop several miles away opened after christmas I took myself down and came home with a set of Martins. And after a sticky afternoon (Weather here in high 30's celsius, hot !) got the slippery little A to stay on and OMG it seemed even more twangy. So I took it off and put on the cheap Mahalo, with the diameter of a pencil almost, and I regret to say..... it is causing me no angst.

Cruising through MGM's sit I have spied a selector's pack of four brands/type of strings, ideal for muts like me who are experimenting. I accept that my ear is not yet attuned to finer flourocarbons, but heck, I am learning something by trial and error and wallet bashing. lol

Cheers and happy twenty ten

Top Bottom