Have you got a VOX amPlug?(Help with amps)

snife

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
This is my first post here and I have been playing the ukulele for just about a year. For any help anyone can provide I will be very grateful. I live in London, England and my real name is Adam. :)

*I have recently ordered myself an electric RISA Soprano Uke-Solid for Christmas and this is my first ever electric instrument. I know next to nothing about how these all work with amplifiers but have done some reading and have watched videos on youtube to help boost my understanding. My questions are is it possible to retain the sound of the ukulele with an amp when not using an acoustic-electric ukulele? Also can any amp do this or only certain ones? Does the tone have to be changed in order to get the original tone of the ukulele or will that automatically happen by default? And most importantly to me at the moment, is all this true for the Vox amPlug aswell?

I really like the look and the perceived practicality of the Vox amPlug, but with so many different versions available it's very difficult for me to understand which one is best to get.
Vox amPlug AC30
Vox amPlug Classic Rock
Vox amPlug Metal
Vox amPlug Bass
Vox amPlug Lead
Vox amPlug Acoustic Simulator
Will all of these be able to provide a clean amplified ukulele sound aswell as whatever featured effect or is the Vox amPlug "Acoustic" the only one that could do that? And would the "Acoustic" be able to produce a ukulele tone or would it sound more like the tone of a guitar as that is what it is primarily made for? And lastly, finally, would the "Acoustic" one only work properly with an acoustic-electric ukulele?

Sorry I know I'm asking a lot, especially as a first time poster, but any help would be greatly appreciated and as you can no doubt tell, very needed(I have got myself very confused). Thanks again for any replies.
Adam.

Yep, I got a VoxAmplug.

I actually have the RISA solid aswell.

I have the AC30, it works well with the risa solid. I tried the Risa with the Pocket pod, and that really sucks. I look forward to buy the acoustic VoxPlug, but with low settings on the "gain" it's working really good.

When i use the RISA solid with my Roland cube, I usually use it on the acoustic settings, therefor I would believe that Acoustic voxamp is even better than AC30. -But thats just guessing.

Not an easy series of questions to answer.

No electric-acoustic ukulele will ever sound exactly like its acoustic sound using a pickup and an amplifier. Ever. Even in the best case scenario you get an emulation of an acoustic sound that is coloured somewhat by the acoustic properties of the instrument (its unique sustain characteristics, etc.)

If I were to buy an AmPlug for ukulele, I would buy the Acoustic Simulator. It will come closest to producing an acoustic-like sound from your Risa. Do be aware, however, that the AmPlug is a headphone amp - it does not have speakers. Its primary uses would be driving headphones/earbuds or as a preamp into a recording console, soundboard, or your computer's soundcard. A pair of powered computer speakers would work nicely as an inexpensive amplification solution.

Amplifiers that are designed for electric-acoustic instruments ("acoustic amps") really do provide the most natural sound. Amps designed for electric guitars are typically voiced for steel strings, magnetic pickups, and overdriven electric guitar sounds. Some electric guitar amps with a lot of clean headroom can sound pretty good with electric-acoustic instruments. Acoustic amps have a cleaner circuitry (more like a small PA system) with speakers (usually a magnetic woofer paired with some piezo tweeters) that are voiced for acoustic-electric instruments.

I don't think the uke would sound like a guitar through the Acoustic AmPlug. It would sound like an acoustic-electric uke through an acoustic amp - which is a very nice sound.

I have a Risa Solid Soprano and I love it. But it doesn't sound like an acoustic ukulele. We have the Vox Amplug AC30, Vox DA-5, and various other mini amps we have played it through.

And while it doesn't sound like an acoustic-electric ukulele through any of them, it has it's own unique and really cool sound. In fact, I thought the crystalline tones of it worked well in our YT video of White Christmas.

YouTube link?

I have a Risa Solid Soprano and I love it. But it doesn't sound like an acoustic ukulele. We have the Vox Amplug AC30, Vox DA-5, and various other mini amps we have played it through.

And while it doesn't sound like an acoustic-electric ukulele through any of them, it has it's own unique and really cool sound. In fact, I thought the crystalline tones of it worked well in our YT video of White Christmas.

Do you have that link? I'd love to see/hear it.

Thank you Everyone! :D

Thank you very much c--f and SailQwest(I agree the Uke-Solid does sound cool in your video, very interesting sound, and very good playing) and everyone else.
And especially thanks to RevWill. I found your answers very helpful and informative. And thanks for warning me about it being a headphone amp, I was aware of it but I do appreciate that.

Based on your help I have decided that I am buying the Vox amPlug Acoustic Simulator so I can get as close as possible to my desired sound of an acoustic ukulele. Although looking back I think some of this should have been clear to me from the start, I know I couldn't of made this decision with certainty without your help. So again, thank you all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom