More photos from my tour of the Kamaka Factory

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
You can see the first six photos I posted here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23322

This is me outside the factory, you can see the KK logo on the building, and the Hawaii Visitor Bureau Marker sign for Kamaka on the upper right of the photo.
picture.php

You can see the first six photos I posted here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23322

Here is a closer photo of the Hawaii Visitor's Bureau Marker outside of the factory, marking Kamaka Ukulele as a historic site in Hawaii.
picture.php

This is the display of ukuleles behind the counter, including a gorgeous 8 string tenor that is for sale. Kamaka doesn't sell factory seconds, but on this one the buyer cancelled their order. Note the photo of Kamaka fan Sigourney Weaver on the counter.
picture.php

One of the best parts of the tour, "As my father said, if you use the family name making ukuleles, don't make junk!"
picture.php

This is Fred Kamaka holding a block of solid koa wood.
picture.php

Fred Kamaka holds up some necks that received their KK inlay.
picture.php

A pineapple ukulele gets its stamped "birthdate" and serial number.
picture.php

The Kamaka current price list for their ukuleles on the wall in the front office.
picture.php

Bookmatched sides will form a top or bottom of an ukulele.
picture.php

Ukuleles receive their glossy (or satin) finish.
picture.php

Most of Kamaka's money is invested in their supply of koa wood. They have it carefully guarded and locked up, with Honolulu PD police cameras aware of it at all times.
picture.php

The tour gives out cool free stamped wooden magnets for everyone that are the koa cut from the soundholes (the same ornaments hung on the office tree in the other thread of pictures). This is what is stamped on the magnets.
picture.php

Thanks so much for sharing your tour pics.

Jack

Thanks for the tour. I like the nice and simple pricing structure, I think uke's, like surfboards, are still one of the few handmade items and are cheap relative to the time and work in them.

Top Bottom