Latest Uke Hanger

eculuke

Reaction score
Ok I think I solved the problem of padding, I wasnt real happy with the padding on the first prototypes as it didnt look as clean as I wanted it to. So here is what I came up with. I am pretty happy with it. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• DSC_0160.jpg
    DSC_0160.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 72
  • new hanger 004.jpg
    new hanger 004.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 78
  • new hanger 008.jpg
    new hanger 008.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 67
  • new hanger 010.jpg
    new hanger 010.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 63
these look outstanding! great job

As soon as I get a consensus from everybody, I will get a list and start my first batch of 10 @ $10 shipped.

Any worries about the impact of the padding on the finish?
I know that the rubber used on some of these things will eat away the finish of the instrument.

I like the wood...

Looks fantastic!

I've seen simple leather coverings that probably won't affect the finish. They were just a looped piece of leather with an unfinished sewn end that looped over the prongs.

Will the foam wear a hole after a while?

I'd pay more for leather around the support arms, as Ronnie suggested.

Look Great...Id gladly take 4 or 5 of em....My girlfriend was just complaining last night about the ukes layin round the kitchen!

These look great! How can I buy these? Did you say you were only going to make 10? Is that all you will ever make or are you going to continue to make them? I would pay at 15-20 for leather bound hangers. Will you be offering these too?

I really dont think they will wear down.....but I will go back to the drawing board. I am having trouble visualizing how the leather would provide good padding. These are designed that to insert the uke neck in sideways and twist. Once in they are coming out. Its very cushy poly foam. I have experimented with other materials, and some have been stronger, just not as clean looking. I prefer functionality but if you are selling things they need to look clean. So far this latest foam is by far the cleanest looking. I would offer free refinishing if the hangers it the foam got damaged.

I think they are great looking. I would like 3 or 4 myself. One caution: some of the poly foam will react with lacquer finishes and leave discoloration in the finish. I've had 2 different companies stands and hangers discolor the wood on my instruments. There is no way to get the color out accept to refinish.
Keep up the great work,
Doug

Im am not really sure what to use then....I cant really see this doing that but I could be wrong. I think I will limit people to one per on the first order to make sure they are happy and offer full refund if not happy. I think these are good low cost alternatives to whats out on the market.

you need to check on the type of foam - the earlier post is correct- certain foams will damage the varnish on necks. It needs to be nitro safe, or better still, cloth covered, or not foam at all.

Shouldnt react with a new instrument, but older finishes, or very high end ukes may have a finish that will get corroded by a lot of foams.

My dilemma is adequate padding. I can use other materials but they arent as cushy as the foam. I will offer these first 10 as is, and let buyers with older or high end ukes aware of the foam concerns and in the mean time develop a better method to cover.

are you guys saying I should wrap leather clothe and stitch around the foam? I want it to be as functional as possible

I'll stop by the shop I saw the leather padding at and take a photo if I have time.

I really dont think they will wear down.....but I will go back to the drawing board. I am having trouble visualizing how the leather would provide good padding. These are designed that to insert the uke neck in sideways and twist. Once in they are coming out. Its very cushy poly foam. I have experimented with other materials, and some have been stronger, just not as clean looking. I prefer functionality but if you are selling things they need to look clean. So far this latest foam is by far the cleanest looking. I would offer free refinishing if the hangers it the foam got damaged.

Top Bottom