Does anyone know of a plain low G?

scottie

Reaction score
Someone somewhere (I don't remember where) suggested using a classical G string for a low G instead of a wound string. I compared some of my D'Addario Pro Artes G to the Aquila strings now on my Lanikai tenor and they seem about the same as the C. I'm not sure that would work.

Has anyone tried a plain string for a low G instead of wound? Better yet, has anyone found a plain string that will work acceptably as a low G or is that about as likely as getting a royal fizbin?

This may sound strange, but what about an Aquila classical nylgut. They go up to 114cm gauge. Couldn't you get an equivalent and cut it? I'd like to try low G some day on a concert. Don't like the squeak of a wound string...

I've been trying out the fluorocarbon low G from Orca (a company in Japan, but you can find them on eBay once in awhile). They sell them in packs or single low Gs. Some people don't like 'em, but so far it sounds good to me.

Just the low g. I use D'addario Titaniums or Savarez Alliance for the other 3 strings.

Waiiit...if you're using D'Addario Titaniums, does that mean you're have to pick out each of the strings on your uke individually?

Waiiit...if you're using D'Addario Titaniums, does that mean you're have to pick out each of the strings on your uke individually?

Yes, but it's only 3 strings. Imagine if it were one of those 16 string bandurria thingies.

Top Bottom