Martin 5K!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassfiddlesteve

Reaction score
Here is a rare opportunity to acquire the “holy grail” of collectable ukuleles: a vintage Martin 5K! This uke dates from the late 20’s/early 30’s and is in excellent condition. It comes with the original hardshell case (some wear & rust on latches) as well as a custom padded flight case and some vintage accessories (old La Bella strings, a chord chart and pitch pipe). There is no crazing or checking to the finish which is still very glossy and has acquired a lovely golden hue which enhances the flamed koa. There are just a few small surface dings and the abalone inlays and celluloid binding are all intact. The original patent pegs work fine and the bridge shows no sign of repair or lifting. There was a small crack in the back that was repaired by master luthier/uke builder Augustino LoPrinzi. The repair is nearly invisible and is only apparent when viewed through the sound hole. The neck and headstock are just as clean as the body and ebony fretboard, inlays and bar frets are in great condition. The uke plays and sounds as nice as it looks and can be viewed and heard in this video (it’s the second uke I play):

- Steve

Last edited:
I wish I were writing to tell you "I'll take it..." But thanks for posting the video and pictures, I was in a better place for a few minutes!:rolleyes:

This seems like a movie, where you buy it and are haunted by a strange Uke player from the 20's.

Amazing Uke. You can't find a 90 year old anywhere! I hope whoever buys this takes goooood care of it.

This is a museum piece, or worthy of an artist

While the sound of this early martin is not to be missed.
I think that the old Martin 5K and accessories are worthy of a museum (hopefully one that plays such instruments in public forums).

Or, I hope a rising young uke artist can acquire this for us all to enjoy.:)

awesome! Congratulations to whomever bought this. Does the buyer want to pipe up and share his/her experience? I'm sure we are all interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom