HELP!! Semi-new Solid Body Electric Kala mysteriously stopped working

poopylungstuffing

Reaction score
I received my Kala just a few months ago..I perform in a band, and my partner bought it for me in hope of imporving my stage sound I love it...I was using it very regularly...I left it on our stage night before last after practice, and when i came to use it for practice last night, it was no longer working.
We tried changing the battery to no avail...I plugged in the headphones (it has a headphone jack)...and was met with an odd humming sound.

I am quite disgruntled as my band is getting ready to play a christmas show.
:mad:

I am ready to open up the back and have a looksee, but I am not very experienced with working with electronics...

A thought that just occurred to me (and please nobody reprimand me for what a dumb mistake this might have been)..is that I put the uke on top of one of the stage speakers..that is where i rested it when I put it down.

I am wondering if perhaps the magnets in the stage speakers might have somehow managed to destroy the pickup on the uke....

Check the cable from the uke to the amp

I too have a Kala uke that is a little particular about what cable I use to plug it in. I can use one cable and nothing... I pick up another one and presto, it works. Try plugging it up to a different amp using a different cable before you take it apart.

I went through all those routes last night...

There seems to be an issue with the circuit board inside the thing....which accounts for the "bent circuit" sound I hear when I plug in the headphones into the headphone jack...and no sound when I plug it into any amplifier using any different cord...

My kala has active pickups and a headphone jack so I can practice silently with headphones...

The whole thing is driven by a circuit board that seems to have somehow gone caput....

There are no loose wires that I can discern..

(already took it apart)

This is the second Kala I have owned, and the second Kala with electronics problems.
My first Kala....acoustic Koa concert-sized...and the electronic have completely stopped working in that one too....
Gee I wonder if my partner ordered that one from the same Ebay guy....:(

We are working on that too....I am just annoyed because I really needed to used it for our Christmas show...I still have my Fluke....but the amplified sound is not that great....

Anyone know where I might confer with somebody who owns or has owned one of these Kala solid bodies? I am wondering whether this problem is common among them....

Top Bottom