Live Online Private Lessons

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
We're thinking about doing some live online private lessons with Aldrine. These will be in addition to the free regular monthly video ukulele lessons. Unlike the regular video lessons, this service would be live private lessons with an ukulele instructor for those who live in areas that you can't get quality instruction.

Aldrine is a busy dude, and his time is very valuable so these private lessons can't be free. They will however be a better deal than what he would charge in his in person private lessons. We're just wondering if people would be interested in this service.

Please let us know.

Last edited:
I talked to Aldrine today and I still need to confirm with Aaron about the pricing but I can say that it will be well under what Aldrine usually charges for live in person lessons which range from $40-50/half hour (depending on gas used).

Beginners class

This is a great idea! I was already planning on signing up for a beginner ukelele class locally meeting once a week for 8 weeks. Will Aldrine have time for a beginners class...maybe for a small group of beginners meeting online once a week? Kinda like online learning :D

Attachments

• 153467025.jpg
    153467025.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 6
This is a great idea! I was already planning on signing up for a beginner ukelele class locally meeting once a week for 8 weeks. Will Aldrine have time for a beginners class...maybe for a small group of beginners meeting online once a week? Kinda like online learning :D

This is very cool and a nice gesture. I'd also be down for some beginner lessons, particularly on strumming and/or chordings for those already in the know on guitar chords.

Attachments

• ULLMANN_DAY_TWO 037.jpg
    ULLMANN_DAY_TWO 037.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 11
  • Martin-Uke-Production-Graph.jpg
    Martin-Uke-Production-Graph.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1
damn bruddah! i have to pay 40 or 50 dollars to hang out with you guys for a half hour...haha...come on i live on da islands no money here!!! :D

WHAT if i come to Hawai'i and i drive to meet you guys? haha theres me driving to see you for lesson :D

Attachments

• IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 36
damn bruddah! i have to pay 40 or 50 dollars to hang out with you guys for a half hour...haha...come on i live on da islands no money here!!! :D

no to hang out with us is $100/half hour. haha nah. The get togethers that are in public places will always be free. These lessons are for people who want to take private lessons.

wow $40-50 lol. that's some high quality lessons haha. even though i live in the islands, i would probly prefer online lessons cuz of the convenience of home (and the lack of a vehicle lol). just outta curiosity though, how will payments be made? i would really look forward to this!

paypal? lol

Yeah probably paypal. We're not that advanced. hahaha.

People are tripping over the price of Aldrine's lessons hahaha. He drives to meet the people wherever they are and he lives in a pretty inconvenient spot for most people he teaches on Kauai.

How he does it is he talks to the person before the lesson finds out what they want to learn. If they want to learn a specific song, he spends the time figuring out all the parts, then he teaches the technique required for the song and all the parts. Because he does all that work before the actual lesson, it's really packed with info.

$50 isn't that steep...professional 1v1 lessons with tailored content like that especially if Aldrine travels to his students...sign me up ....I can give simple directions from Heathrow or Gatwick airports!

Attachments

• 9641 K-1T SF body 2.jpg
    9641 K-1T SF body 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 9637 K-1T SF.jpg
    9637 K-1T SF.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3
  • 9639 K-1T SF front.jpg
    9639 K-1T SF front.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 9643 K-1T SF body 1.jpg
    9643 K-1T SF body 1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 9645 K-1T SF headstock.jpg
    9645 K-1T SF headstock.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 3
Yeah probably paypal. We're not that advanced. hahaha.

People are tripping over the price of Aldrine's lessons hahaha. He drives to meet the people wherever they are and he lives in a pretty inconvenient spot for most people he teaches on Kauai.

How he does it is he talks to the person before the lesson finds out what they want to learn. If they want to learn a specific song, he spends the time figuring out all the parts, then he teaches the technique required for the song and all the parts. Because he does all that work before the actual lesson, it's really packed with info.

ya $50 isnt that much, if you take a private lesson with a PROFESSIONAL musician, not saying Aldrine is but with more years thats elderly(ish), then it gets 60+

and since Aldrine is doing such a great job, i dont mind giving him $50 to teach me. its for support for him, and for the website.

Okay just to clarify some things for you guys.

The most famous ukulele school here in Hawaii is the Roy Sakuma ukulele studios. They charge about 20 for half an hour for beginner ukulele lessons. They all start with lesson #1. But these are lessons in a group. So you're not really given the individual attention that a budding musician needs. The instructors are talking pretty much half the time and the actual playing time is only about 15min. A few friends of mine are instructors there.

I used to teach by the hour but what I learned is that people tend to only remember a fraction of what I taught them within that hour. So I shortened the lessons and got better results. I would allow them to bring whatever they want to record the lesson (which is another reason why I charge so high) if you wanna bring a recorder or a video camera, it's fine with me as long as it's only used for further reference. Pretty much, the lesson you paid for is a lesson you can keep with you even after the lesson has concluded. Even though we say it's for half an hour, usually they tend to go a little longer because I'm more concerned about the student understanding the lesson planned for that day than how much time we have left. This doesn't mean that I'll let a lesson go for an hour. Practice must be done on your spare time as well. Also, with the price set to that, I can pretty much comb out who really wanted to learn the ukulele versus the ones who just came to me cause their parents wanted them too.

I teach things from basic theory to advanced techniques. I work on the mental, physical, and emotional approaches to playing the ukulele. While some of my methods have been quite unorthodox, the results became apparent in the way the player understanding the ukulele instead of randomly placing fingers on strings with wood.

Besides the physical techniques that I teach, I also try to promote musical individualism. No two people have the same exact thoughts and emotions, therefore everyone is different. I have methods to harness these thoughts and emotions and turn them into music. Let's all work hard to find our own identity :D

Music is a journey. Let me be the old man at the gas station you stop and ask directions from.

Attachments

• KaraSquare-LoveAlbum-CoverArt300.jpg
    KaraSquare-LoveAlbum-CoverArt300.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Sounds nice aldrine. I would be one of the first to line up for lessons. Would we be able to get a hard copy of the lesson taught? So we can review it at later times? Do you guys know of any programs that allow recording of the lessons or streams on the webcast? Or will you guys record it and send it as a .avi,.mpg, or some other format.

BTW...for my first lesson Aldrine, can you show me the proper technique for the "UKE HUMP"? Is that a beginner lesson or advanced?

$50 isn't that steep...professional 1v1 lessons with tailored content like that especially if Aldrine travels to his students...sign me up ....I can give simple directions from Heathrow or Gatwick airports!

Just to be clear guys it's NOT going to be $50. More like around $35. For you UK guys, thats like 12 pounds I think.

We need to check if we can legally give out recordings of the lessons. Copyright issues may be involved, but if you can figure out a way to record it, then thats no problem.

Sounds nice aldrine. I would be one of the first to line up for lessons. Would we be able to get a hard copy of the lesson taught? So we can review it at later times? Do you guys know of any programs that allow recording of the lessons or streams on the webcast? Or will you guys record it and send it as a .avi,.mpg, or some other format.

BTW...for my first lesson Aldrine, can you show me the proper technique for the "UKE HUMP"? Is that a beginner lesson or advanced?

Hahahahaha. Watch any Steve Vai video and you too can learn this technique LOL

Attachments

• IMG_4396..jpg
    IMG_4396..jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4398..jpg
    IMG_4398..jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4389..jpg
    IMG_4389..jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4390..jpg