PDA

View Full Version : Live Online Private Lessons

rayan
01-04-2008, 07:42 AM
We're thinking about doing some live online private lessons with Aldrine. These will be in addition to the free regular monthly video ukulele lessons. Unlike the regular video lessons, this service would be live private lessons with an ukulele instructor for those who live in areas that you can't get quality instruction.

Aldrine is a busy dude, and his time is very valuable so these private lessons can't be free. They will however be a better deal than what he would charge in his in person private lessons. We're just wondering if people would be interested in this service.

Please let us know.

Iain
01-04-2008, 08:01 AM
I'd definately be interested for a one off, how much would these be priced at?

Fred Miu
01-04-2008, 09:39 AM
im interested too.

rayan
01-04-2008, 11:15 AM
I talked to Aldrine today and I still need to confirm with Aaron about the pricing but I can say that it will be well under what Aldrine usually charges for live in person lessons which range from $40-50/half hour (depending on gas used).

JumpingPulgas
01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
This is a great idea! I was already planning on signing up for a beginner ukelele class locally meeting once a week for 8 weeks. Will Aldrine have time for a beginners class...maybe for a small group of beginners meeting online once a week? Kinda like online learning :D

HungSolo
01-04-2008, 02:57 PM
This is a great idea! I was already planning on signing up for a beginner ukelele class locally meeting once a week for 8 weeks. Will Aldrine have time for a beginners class...maybe for a small group of beginners meeting online once a week? Kinda like online learning :D

This is very cool and a nice gesture. I'd also be down for some beginner lessons, particularly on strumming and/or chordings for those already in the know on guitar chords.

CenizaT&K-01
01-04-2008, 03:07 PM
damn bruddah! i have to pay 40 or 50 dollars to hang out with you guys for a half hour...haha...come on i live on da islands no money here!!! :D

Fred Miu
01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
WHAT if i come to Hawai'i and i drive to meet you guys? haha theres me driving to see you for lesson :D

rayan
01-04-2008, 06:21 PM
damn bruddah! i have to pay 40 or 50 dollars to hang out with you guys for a half hour...haha...come on i live on da islands no money here!!! :D

no to hang out with us is $100/half hour. haha nah. The get togethers that are in public places will always be free. These lessons are for people who want to take private lessons.

tripl3thr33
01-04-2008, 10:38 PM
wow $40-50 lol. that's some high quality lessons haha. even though i live in the islands, i would probly prefer online lessons cuz of the convenience of home (and the lack of a vehicle lol). just outta curiosity though, how will payments be made? i would really look forward to this!

Fred Miu
01-05-2008, 05:52 AM
paypal? lol

rayan
01-05-2008, 06:31 AM
paypal? lol

Yeah probably paypal. We're not that advanced. hahaha.

People are tripping over the price of Aldrine's lessons hahaha. He drives to meet the people wherever they are and he lives in a pretty inconvenient spot for most people he teaches on Kauai.

How he does it is he talks to the person before the lesson finds out what they want to learn. If they want to learn a specific song, he spends the time figuring out all the parts, then he teaches the technique required for the song and all the parts. Because he does all that work before the actual lesson, it's really packed with info.

unplaned
01-05-2008, 06:42 AM
$50 isn't that steep...professional 1v1 lessons with tailored content like that especially if Aldrine travels to his students...sign me up ....I can give simple directions from Heathrow or Gatwick airports!

Fred Miu
01-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Yeah probably paypal. We're not that advanced. hahaha.

People are tripping over the price of Aldrine's lessons hahaha. He drives to meet the people wherever they are and he lives in a pretty inconvenient spot for most people he teaches on Kauai.

How he does it is he talks to the person before the lesson finds out what they want to learn. If they want to learn a specific song, he spends the time figuring out all the parts, then he teaches the technique required for the song and all the parts. Because he does all that work before the actual lesson, it's really packed with info.

ya $50 isnt that much, if you take a private lesson with a PROFESSIONAL musician, not saying Aldrine is but with more years thats elderly(ish), then it gets 60+

and since Aldrine is doing such a great job, i dont mind giving him $50 to teach me. its for support for him, and for the website.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-05-2008, 07:06 AM
Okay just to clarify some things for you guys.

The most famous ukulele school here in Hawaii is the Roy Sakuma ukulele studios. They charge about 20 for half an hour for beginner ukulele lessons. They all start with lesson #1. But these are lessons in a group. So you're not really given the individual attention that a budding musician needs. The instructors are talking pretty much half the time and the actual playing time is only about 15min. A few friends of mine are instructors there.

I used to teach by the hour but what I learned is that people tend to only remember a fraction of what I taught them within that hour. So I shortened the lessons and got better results. I would allow them to bring whatever they want to record the lesson (which is another reason why I charge so high) if you wanna bring a recorder or a video camera, it's fine with me as long as it's only used for further reference. Pretty much, the lesson you paid for is a lesson you can keep with you even after the lesson has concluded. Even though we say it's for half an hour, usually they tend to go a little longer because I'm more concerned about the student understanding the lesson planned for that day than how much time we have left. This doesn't mean that I'll let a lesson go for an hour. Practice must be done on your spare time as well. Also, with the price set to that, I can pretty much comb out who really wanted to learn the ukulele versus the ones who just came to me cause their parents wanted them too.

I teach things from basic theory to advanced techniques. I work on the mental, physical, and emotional approaches to playing the ukulele. While some of my methods have been quite unorthodox, the results became apparent in the way the player understanding the ukulele instead of randomly placing fingers on strings with wood.

Besides the physical techniques that I teach, I also try to promote musical individualism. No two people have the same exact thoughts and emotions, therefore everyone is different. I have methods to harness these thoughts and emotions and turn them into music. Let's all work hard to find our own identity :D

Music is a journey. Let me be the old man at the gas station you stop and ask directions from.

FunkyPeaNutZ
01-05-2008, 07:34 AM
Sounds nice aldrine. I would be one of the first to line up for lessons. Would we be able to get a hard copy of the lesson taught? So we can review it at later times? Do you guys know of any programs that allow recording of the lessons or streams on the webcast? Or will you guys record it and send it as a .avi,.mpg, or some other format.

BTW...for my first lesson Aldrine, can you show me the proper technique for the "UKE HUMP"? Is that a beginner lesson or advanced?

rayan
01-05-2008, 08:00 AM
$50 isn't that steep...professional 1v1 lessons with tailored content like that especially if Aldrine travels to his students...sign me up ....I can give simple directions from Heathrow or Gatwick airports!

Just to be clear guys it's NOT going to be $50. More like around $35. For you UK guys, thats like 12 pounds I think.

We need to check if we can legally give out recordings of the lessons. Copyright issues may be involved, but if you can figure out a way to record it, then thats no problem.

Fred Miu
01-05-2008, 08:30 AM
We need to check if we can legally give out recordings of the lessons. Copyright issues may be involved, but if you can figure out a way to record it, then thats no problem.

Mogulus, U stream, or webcam hahaha

Aldrine Guerrero
01-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Sounds nice aldrine. I would be one of the first to line up for lessons. Would we be able to get a hard copy of the lesson taught? So we can review it at later times? Do you guys know of any programs that allow recording of the lessons or streams on the webcast? Or will you guys record it and send it as a .avi,.mpg, or some other format.

BTW...for my first lesson Aldrine, can you show me the proper technique for the "UKE HUMP"? Is that a beginner lesson or advanced?

Hahahahaha. Watch any Steve Vai video and you too can learn this technique LOL

FunkyPeaNutZ
01-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Was it Steve Vai, or did you modify it from David Lee Roth and his mic stand?

MusicOverMySoul
01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
hey wat if i met with aldrine when he comes home cuz i live on kauai an i can meet him at kukui grove that'll be nice cuz my family had problems with paypal so yah

peterng_20
01-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Lol I would like lessons from Aldrine, but I live all the way in Canada :( I hope you would still be alive man, because I'm gonna go to Hawaii and search for you. Which part do you live?

MusicOverMySoul
01-10-2008, 04:56 PM
is aldrine still gonna do the live lessons???

UKESTAR
01-12-2008, 01:54 PM
I really like the idea of online lessons. I live in San Diego and don't know of any uke instructors here. How would these lessons be interactive? I mean, how do you communicate during the lesson exactly?
Thanks.

bruddauke
01-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Count me in! This would be great for me as I am in an area with no uke instructors, much less Good uke instructors. I look forward to hearing more.

sjsmirl
02-01-2008, 06:11 PM
We're just wondering if people would be interested in this service.

Where do I sign up ? :)

grappler
02-01-2008, 08:08 PM
this will be interesting

clevacheva
02-01-2008, 08:21 PM
would definitely love this haha i'd pay

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-01-2008, 08:46 PM
hmm.. so desperate! yet so many problems...
1: do not have webcam.. can fix it up though, i would buy a high quality one so i get more out of my lesson.
2: i.. dont have paypal! yay
3: my computer wud probably pixel aldrine so much that he would be one square.
4: Aldrine when i go hawaii can you give me some lessons ^^
hmm

how much would it cost if it were in Australian money?

grappler
02-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Im not sure if they are going to charge for the lessons.. Maybe, maybe not.. But i would think it wouldnt be too much since its not about making money but about helping UU members achieve and help to grow their ukulele skills into another level.. give the proper guidance to success!~~~

UKESTAR
02-02-2008, 05:53 AM
I would be interested in hearing the details of how this would work...sounds like it has potential. I like Aldrine's style of teaching, so yeh, I would be interested in it for sure..:)

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Im not sure if they are going to charge for the lessons.. Maybe, maybe not.. But i would think it wouldnt be too much since its not about making money but about helping UU members achieve and help to grow their ukulele skills into another level.. give the proper guidance to success!~~~
in reality, you dont spend hours helping people for nothing. If they don't charge everybody.. and i mean everybody that knows about it will want 10 lessons in 1 week. Aldrine wouldn't be able to keep up 1000 lessons in 1 week all free. I would pay, because he teach's the song so well that its worth the money.

davoomac
02-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Okay just to clarify some things for you guys.

The most famous ukulele school here in Hawaii is the Roy Sakuma ukulele studios. They charge about 20 for half an hour for beginner ukulele lessons. They all start with lesson #1. But these are lessons in a group. So you're not really given the individual attention that a budding musician needs. The instructors are talking pretty much half the time and the actual playing time is only about 15min. A few friends of mine are instructors there.

I used to teach by the hour but what I learned is that people tend to only remember a fraction of what I taught them within that hour. So I shortened the lessons and got better results. I would allow them to bring whatever they want to record the lesson (which is another reason why I charge so high) if you wanna bring a recorder or a video camera, it's fine with me as long as it's only used for further reference. Pretty much, the lesson you paid for is a lesson you can keep with you even after the lesson has concluded. Even though we say it's for half an hour, usually they tend to go a little longer because I'm more concerned about the student understanding the lesson planned for that day than how much time we have left. This doesn't mean that I'll let a lesson go for an hour. Practice must be done on your spare time as well. Also, with the price set to that, I can pretty much comb out who really wanted to learn the ukulele versus the ones who just came to me cause their parents wanted them too.

I teach things from basic theory to advanced techniques. I work on the mental, physical, and emotional approaches to playing the ukulele. While some of my methods have been quite unorthodox, the results became apparent in the way the player understanding the ukulele instead of randomly placing fingers on strings with wood.

Besides the physical techniques that I teach, I also try to promote musical individualism. No two people have the same exact thoughts and emotions, therefore everyone is different. I have methods to harness these thoughts and emotions and turn them into music. Let's all work hard to find our own identity :D

Music is a journey. Let me be the old man at the gas station you stop and ask directions from.

Wow Aldrine, you really go above and beyond the call as a teacher. Which sounds amazing. You really invest yourself into your work eh? I wish you were on Guam so I could learn from you hehe. Theres a need for exceptional teachers out here.. I mean theres a few, but not enough to go around. The demand here is so high nowadays that the waiting lists for good teachers are months long!

Other than that I am pretty interested in the live lessons. From the video lessons I've already seen, you make things easy for people to understand what exactly you are doing on the uke. I'm really interested in learning music theory for uke, some advanced techniques, how to practice on my own, and different style of music.

tuumalo
02-07-2008, 01:10 AM
i would be for sure down too let me know when..

Latinleaders
04-09-2008, 04:56 AM
I think that's a great idea.
I'd definitely be interested in online lessons.

I'd have to get a better PC and cam 'cause mine are a load of pants but otherwise but would love to have online lessons. :D

14twelve
04-09-2008, 06:03 PM
I would definitely be interested too!! :)

Phatzo
04-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Yep me too, poor Aldrine wont have a life any more, 24-7 uke lessons = no time to enloy life. But if your up to it count me in.

Frood
04-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Yep! I'm in too.

No one here in Melbourne to teach us....

Sure is a lot of people putting their hands up for tuition - I hope Aldrien doesn't plan on having a life for a while...

Vroom
04-17-2008, 06:32 AM
I would definitely be interested, as I live in a small town in Canada. There are no ukulele instructors let alone ukulele teachers, and i have yet to meet someone that even knows the uke can be used to do more than to play hawaiian music.

la_ingrit
04-17-2008, 07:03 AM
We're thinking about doing some live online private lessons with Aldrine. These will be in addition to the free regular monthly video ukulele lessons. Unlike the regular video lessons, this service would be live private lessons with an ukulele instructor for those who live in areas that you can't get quality instruction.

Aldrine is a busy dude, and his time is very valuable so these private lessons can't be free. They will however be a better deal than what he would charge in his in person private lessons. We're just wondering if people would be interested in this service.

Please let us know.

I'M SUPER INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!!

RAYAN BUT YOU SAID ITS GONNA BE LIVE ONLINE LESSONS RIGHT??? HOW'S GONNA WORK??

Bourbon Boy
04-22-2008, 04:52 AM
I am so down for Private lessons online...count me in...
Got to love the world wide web i tell you....I am on the east coast and I would love the chance to get live lesson from AG.....RESPEK

ukeboypat
05-02-2008, 12:43 PM
id be extremely interested
to bad im broke lol

Rubbertoe
05-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Online lessons would be amazing! I live in Canada and I haven't found anyone who teaches uke in the Toronto area. Thank God for UU!

ukeboypat
05-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Online lessons would be amazing! I live in Canada and I haven't found anyone who teaches uke in the Toronto area. Thank God for UU!

i think if i lived in canada there would be a restraining order against me for harassing James Hill lol

alden
05-09-2008, 07:11 PM
me too me too... hope this is still under development.

kenika411
06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Also interested in lessons!

rayan
06-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Ok, these will get rolling sometime this summer. We gotta get Aldrine a better webcam first. hahaha.

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Ok, these will get rolling sometime this summer. We gotta get Aldrine a better webcam first. hahaha.

true that hahaha but im down

tripl3thr33
06-14-2008, 08:54 AM

oh wow! awesome. i remember this idea being thrown out LOOOONG time ago but no word until now. can't wait :D

RON<>VA
06-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Great idea. Put me down for one who is interested, for sure!

mrmr
06-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey guys, great idea.
Count me in. I've enjoyed and learned so much from the general lessons Aldrine has given, I'd love to have the more personalized version.

Let me know when you figure out the details.

PortugueseSausage
06-16-2008, 03:58 AM
Lol I would like lessons from Aldrine, but I live all the way in Canada :( I hope you would still be alive man

lol hopfully hell still be alive... its a great idea, 35 is decent, because 50 is a little much when its just over the intraweb. im interested, just gotta think what i want to learn most, which is gonna be harrd

PortugeeUke
06-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Heck, I would be interested. Never too old to learn....:)

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Heck, I would be interested. Never too old to learn....:)

age is only a number :)