Uke Gift?

Paul December

Reaction score
My high school aged nephew (an OK guitar player) was really intrigued by my ukulele the last time he saw it. Interestingly, he noted that he's been seeing ukes popping up at his school over the last year (suburban Chicago).
He's graduating early this year, and thought I get him a uke to celebrate.
The max, I'd like to spend is $100 ... any suggestions please?
I'd like it to be concert size. At this price point, most likely laminate.
I actually think a laminate is a great starter, because they seem less suseptible to temp/humidity changes. If he sticks with playing, he can always upgrade and keep this one as a travel/beater uke.
Right now, I'm leaning toward the Kala KA C mahogony sold by MGM for just at my $ limit shipped. Is it a decent instrument? What else should I consider?

Kala has always gotten good reviews at UU. Even better is dealing with MGM. He will set you up real good. Nice uke at that price including shipping. There are some reviews about Kala in the review section and check out you tube for Kala uke reviews.

The one you found was the one I was going to 'resuggest'. You can't go wrong with the Kala. They are well made in terms of workmanship and sound great. MGM is also a great choice. Call him up. He's a good guy.

Take a look at the Mitchell MU70. It kind of fits what you are looking for. I have it and it is a great ukulele for starters. You can get it for $100 at Guitar Center.

The only other thing I'd recommend is a pre-owned Fluke if you can find one for $100 - and you can occasionally.

perfect ukulele... I would be really thankful for that ukulele.

Top Bottom