Softest strings?

amie

Reaction score
I am looking for very soft strings, can anyone recommend?

I have a Kala tenor ukulele, and it came with very stiff Ghs strings. I would like to change them soon.

You can try Aquila strings, they are really popular among these forums.

There are also D'addario, which Jake and Aldrine uses.

Lastly, there are Worth strings. Just try them and see which you like!

I feel like Aquilas have a softer feel than GHS. And from what I've experienced so far, possibly the softest feel. There's a slight sponginess to them that I've not noticed with other strings. This is why they also seem to nick easiest.

I'm going to agree with Sambient...the Aquilas feel the softest out of the ones I've tried. They seem to be more "stretchy" (for lack of a better term), than the GHS, Worth or Martin flurocarbons. They're also the "fattest" out of the lot.

hmm, dont think Aquilas are softer - but they feel to have less tension to me.

That said though - word of warning - if you are wanting softer strings cos of sore fingers:

* Aquilas are thicker - which may not be the blessing you are after
* May be better to work through the pain (as with guitar playing) - you need to build up those callouses!

I think I agree with Paul that the Aquila's may not be softer, depending on what you have now. I just switched from the Hilo strings on my new Flea to Aquila. The Aquilas are definitely beefier and rougher than the Hilos to me. I like the bigger size better, as it seems there is more there to grab when I need to, and I can definitely see the white better. As far as the pain goes, its just something you have to work through. My fingers were pretty sore for the first week or two, but I don't notice any pain now, no matter what strings, including the GHS ones on my Kala tenor, I play. Once they get all caloused up, they won't bother you anymore unless you play hours and hours.

Last edited:
In my experience, I found GHS to be very soft.
At least on my Soprano and Baritone uke..

Otherwise, Hilo is quite soft too.

I have felt that Aquilas are a bit tighter than the above.
Strange how there are different opinions about it :D

You can try Aquila strings, they are really popular among these forums.

There are also D'addario, which Jake and Aldrine uses.

Lastly, there are Worth strings. Just try them and see which you like!

Are there D'addario ukulele strings or are they guitar strings? I am looking for something softer and more flexable than the aquila stings I just bought, for my baritone. I bought a set of aquila baritone strings, for my baritone, with the DGBE tuning and found them to be softer than the aquila strings with the GCEA tuning. Is that possible?

Are there D'addario ukulele strings or are they guitar strings? I am looking for something softer and more flexable than the aquila stings I just bought, for my baritone. I bought a set of aquila baritone strings, for my baritone, with the DGBE tuning and found them to be softer than the aquila strings with the GCEA tuning. Is that possible?
Aloha Faithmusic,
By soft do you mean better playability with less tension.....Worth clear lights....would do the trick...but sacafrice on the volume and Aquila brightness...

Southcoast uke strings are so, so soft. Try those!

In my experience, the aquilas offer the best sound quality for their "softness." If sore fingers are the problem, then the low tension will alleviate some of the feeling of the strings cutting into your fingers. They really are a nice set of strings.

Top Bottom