Aquila Nylgut Strings?

make love to your uke

Reaction score
I have GHS Strings right now and I've been reading that Aquila Nylguts are really good. Any opinions out there?

And if there are any other strings which are better than Aquila's, let me know.

Thanks.

Aquila is one of the more popular name strings here in the Underground. It is a simple and inexpensive upgrade and some will swear by them and others not so. The same can be said with other brands often mentioned like Worth, D'Addario, Ko'olau, Fremonts to name a few. What it really boils down to is sound, feel and playability. Best advice I can offer is to try different brands, mix and match if necessary to see if that is the sound and tone you're looking for. Pretty much boils down to personal preference.

Aquila strings are pretty nice. They seem to make affordable ukes sound a lot better then the stock strings. It really come to personal preference and the uke and what sound you are trying to acheive.

There are several other brands out there that are good strings to. It all boils down to the right strings for the right uke. I see someone has already responded, Kanaka knows his stuff. Strings are pretty inexpensive so you can and should try out some different brands on your uke intill you find the string that fits your sound, playing style and are comfortable with.

But Aquila are a good start and a definate upgrade from the stock GHS strings.

Attention: The strings need to settle down for a couple of days/weeks before you can hear the final sound. Don't judge after a 5 minute try-out :)

You'll have to find your personal perfect combinations of a particular uke with particular strings. It depends also on your playing style (do you pick or strumm hard or soft..do you play instrumentals or as voice backup...what kind of instruments are playing with you...... mellow or bright tone, sustain or not ...)

Yeah. I've been using the same GHS strings for about 2 1/2 months already.

And I play various types of music. At times I will strum hard, at times soft, and pick. What do you suggest?

Aquilas - just brilliant - accurate, bright, ringing, quality - get some!

I suggest trying a set of Aquila Nylguts. Leave them on for a few months, then try a set of Worth Clears for a few months. If you have a clear preference for one or the other, stick with 'em. You can also try out Pro Artes, Fremont Blacklines, Kala Reds, Ko'olau Golds.

Bottom line is that there is no right or wrong answer. Only the best answer for you, and unfortunately there is no way of finding that without trial and error.

One thing you might do is watch Ken Middleton's YouTube video where he compares Worths and Aquilas on very similar ukes. The difference is subtle - not night and day - but you might hear something there.

I have no favorite strings. Try some "premium" brands like aquila or worth for example. If you practice a lot the sound will always be good regardless of the strings.

As info: I normally use strings on an uke until the're damaged. Some others are changing them every two month.

The Aquilas would feel a bit thicker and tighter than the GHS, but noticeably brighter and louder.

You probably won't look back at GHS once you try Aquilas. They're great strings!

The Aquilas would feel a bit thicker and tighter than the GHS, but noticeably brighter and louder.

You probably won't look back at GHS once you try Aquilas. They're great strings!

and D'Addarios make Aquilas feel like cotton, in my opinion anyhow

YMMV

Are you referring to the Pro Artes?

The regular D'addarios in my experience didn't sound as loud as Aquilas or have as much sustain, though they did produce a rounder, mellower tone.

I heard the ProArtes have a high tension and great tone. Have yet to try :)

Unfortunately I'm quite familiar with the Mahalo high action LOL

I have a white U30 too.
I sanded the saddle down as low as it would go (the top of the saddle hardly elevated above the bridge groove where the saddle sits).. but the action is STILL high.

It seems to be actually impossible to have a good low action on a Mahalo U30 because of the actual bridge structure >_<

Top Bottom