Vintage Uke Beat--Help, Please!

pdxuke

Reaction score
Friends:

I played two vintage ukes that I like very much indeed and wanted to tell you about them, perhaps get some pricing help.

The first is a Harmony "Vagabond." It looks c. 30s', maybe a bit later. It has a greenish painted body and a painted decoration in a kind of alps theme (young maidens in Bavarian dress, etc.) Very operetta like. It plays with a bright, banjo-ee flavor (which I happen to like), with great, easy action. A luthier did some work on it and it looks as though the friction pegs are new. Price: $125.

The other is a plain mahogany Gibson, probably 30s. Nothing at all fancy. Soprano. Some scuffs but no cracks. Looks like a cross brace inside--don't know if that was standard or not. Original pegs. Plays like a dream. Inside I think it says "Uke 10" in black stamped lettering. $325 with hard case.

Opinions, insights welcomed.

I seem to like vintage ukes.

At least today!:iwant:

NOTE: This picture comes closest to what the uke looks like. I do not think it has the GIBSON lettering on the headstock, but that may have worn off.

gibson.jpg

Last edited:
I can't tell you about the Gibson, but the '30's Harmonys are sweet. Mine is "banjo-y" too.

But it's all up to your feelings. If you like a uke and you think it's worth the price, buy it. Whether a Harmony or Gibson.

Please keep us informed, with pics if possible!:)

Top Bottom