any advice and suggestions for purchasing a ukulele

lonsilog

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Kala KA-S as a stepping stone into the ukulele world. It is for my daughter to grow into, in the meantime I got her a pink Mahalo for christmas. So she plays the Kala for the time being.

I purchased the uke online, but unfortunately not from mgm. :eek: The only reason was the price. Now I am regretting purchasing elsewhere because I found that the action is a bit too high for me, and I don't have the faintest idea how to adjust it. Now that I am on the market for a new uke (for me), I think I will be going to mgm. I found that the soprano is fun to play, but a bit too small for my hands.

I've been back and forth between the concert and tenor, and I am very much leaning towards the tenor. Also, I am debating on whether i should get the Kala KA-T/KA-TG, or saving and waiting a few months for a solid Koa. I am leaning towards getting a KA-CG now, and saving up to purchase a tenor koa by summer. But do I really need two ukuleles?

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated. :D

I'm in the same situation as you are in right now!

I started with the Kala KA-S, got it a year ago from MGM though. Great guy, got the action set up perfectly :)

But it's been a year and UAS is kicking in. I was thinking about getting a Kala again, but want to try something different. I went to a music store and found the change from a soprano to a tenor to be quite big. The tenor had a very big sound compared to a soprano. The frets were wider and sometimes my fingers would mess up. That is why I am leaning towards a concert more.

I'm currently saving up for a solid koa, being the KA-S is a laminate. So, I want to see what the hype is all about solid vs laminates.

If you look at MGM's shop, there are Honu ukes. They are solid koa, and nicely priced. Other ukes that might interest you are the Kala Solid Acacia Tenors, or the Kelii solid koa tenors.

But I can't buy online yet (teenager), so I might have to wait a couopl years.

Just passing on some knowledge to you!

Some links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRADITIONAL-HON...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56381a7d25

http://cgi.ebay.com/CYBER-SALE-KELI...7QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SILF:US:101

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KALA-ACACIA...8QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SILF:US:101

The Honu looks nice

I'm in the same situation as you are in right now!

I started with the Kala KA-S, got it a year ago from MGM though. Great guy, got the action set up perfectly :)

But it's been a year and UAS is kicking in. I was thinking about getting a Kala again, but want to try something different. I went to a music store and found the change from a soprano to a tenor to be quite big. The tenor had a very big sound compared to a soprano. The frets were wider and sometimes my fingers would mess up. That is why I am leaning towards a concert more.

I'm currently saving up for a solid koa, being the KA-S is a laminate. So, I want to see what the hype is all about solid vs laminates.

If you look at MGM's shop, there are Honu ukes. They are solid koa, and nicely priced. Other ukes that might interest you are the Kala Solid Acacia Tenors, or the Kelii solid koa tenors.

But I can't buy online yet (teenager), so I might have to wait a couopl years.

Just passing on some knowledge to you!

Hi ukeCANjam

Thanks for the input. I've been eyeing the Honu :drool:, but the price is keeping me away. I was actually just reading up on Big Island Ukulele Co, so funny that you mention the Honu. The Kala Solid Acacia looks to be a good compromise of solid wood and price. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I am leaning towards the KA-T for now, because I can afford it now, and because I'm afraid I might be spoiled by the solid wood and may not want to play any other.

-Lon

(What's UAS? I've been seeing it almost everywhere here in this forum)

UAS is Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome.:D Beware.:eek:

oh boy

UAS is Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome.:D Beware.:eek:

:eek:
UAS <-- Is that what I have? I just got the KA-S a few weeks ago, and I am already thinking of getting a concert/tenor uke and solid koa tenor. i should have seen the signs...

Hi ukeCANjam

Thanks for the input. I've been eyeing the Honu :drool:, but the price is keeping me away. I was actually just reading up on Big Island Ukulele Co, so funny that you mention the Honu. The Kala Solid Acacia looks to be a good compromise of solid wood and price. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I am leaning towards the KA-T for now, because I can afford it now, and because I'm afraid I might be spoiled by the solid wood and may not want to play any other.

-Lon

(What's UAS? I've been seeing it almost everywhere here in this forum)

The Big Island Ukes are actually good for their price.They are well made, and anybody on the forums who plays them are fully satisfied. The Honu's are actually considered cheaper relative to the other "K" brands, which range up to 1000 dollars. I understand that your budget starting from the Kala to the Honu is huge, but it is worth it. ;)

Still, the higher end Kala's are a huge leap from the KA-S. The Acacia tenor has been getting alot of attention around here. Check out thejumpingflea's review :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSnWfUAtVIA

It sounds really nice!

The Kala KA-T is a nice uke for the price, but it is just a bigger size from your KA-S. Your just paying for the same thing, but just a different feel. I suggest you find a tenor model or concert and see which you feel comfortable with, because the KA-T is about the same as the one you have now.

If you still want to stick to laminates, there are other good budget brand tenors available, don't be limited to one brands. Lanikai, Oscar Schmidt, and Ibanez make some good intermediate level ukes.

When people play solid ukes, true they sound better, but some people prefer laminate for beater and travel ukes. They are lighter and sometimes louder, but you don't have to care about the uke like it's the whole world to you. You would still have your soprano, and its more portable than any tenor.

You can also check local craigslist (beware of scams) and ebay every once in a while for some amazing deals. :p

Just as long as you know what you are more comfortable with, you should be getting a better uke :D

I've been back and forth between the concert and tenor, and I am very much leaning towards the tenor. Also, I am debating on whether i should get the Kala KA-T/KA-TG, or saving and waiting a few months for a solid Koa. I am leaning towards getting a KA-CG now, and saving up to purchase a tenor koa by summer. But do I really need two ukuleles? :D

Better question is do I only need two ukuleles. You need a soprano, tenor, concert, & baritone. An acoustic/electric. One with a cutaway. A solid. A traveler. A beater.

You need at least two. At least that is what I am trying to explain to my wife right now.

Lol

Better question is do I only need two ukuleles. You need a soprano, tenor, concert, & baritone. An acoustic/electric. One with a cutaway. A solid. A traveler. A beater.

You need at least two. At least that is what I am trying to explain to my wife right now.

LOL! I am appreciating this more and more. I got so caught up with this that I was considering selling a car (it's a fourth car anyway, and it is just sitting in front of the house most of the time) just so that I can complete the set with a concert, tenor 4-string, tenor 8-string, and a martin custom. Then, I remember that I've only owned a uke for a few weeks, and I can't justify the spending spree (on myself, at least). I have to package it in something like "well honey, our daughter will be playing these when she grows up" or something like that.

Who's idea was it to buy this uke anyway?! Ooh yeah... me. DOH!

The Big Island Ukes are actually good for their price.They are well made, and anybody on the forums who plays them are fully satisfied. The Honu's are actually considered cheaper relative to the other "K" brands, which range up to 1000 dollars. I understand that your budget starting from the Kala to the Honu is huge, but it is worth it. ;)

Still, the higher end Kala's are a huge leap from the KA-S. The Acacia tenor has been getting alot of attention around here. Check out thejumpingflea's review :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSnWfUAtVIA

It sounds really nice!

The Kala KA-T is a nice uke for the price, but it is just a bigger size from your KA-S. Your just paying for the same thing, but just a different feel. I suggest you find a tenor model or concert and see which you feel comfortable with, because the KA-T is about the same as the one you have now.

If you still want to stick to laminates, there are other good budget brand tenors available, don't be limited to one brands. Lanikai, Oscar Schmidt, and Ibanez make some good intermediate level ukes.

When people play solid ukes, true they sound better, but some people prefer laminate for beater and travel ukes. They are lighter and sometimes louder, but you don't have to care about the uke like it's the whole world to you. You would still have your soprano, and its more portable than any tenor.

You can also check local craigslist (beware of scams) and ebay every once in a while for some amazing deals. :p

Just as long as you know what you are more comfortable with, you should be getting a better uke :D

The KA-ASA is a nice sounding uke. Definitely something to consider. I agree that getting a KA-T or KA-C will be getting the same one as I have right now, but bigger. For now, the look and the sound is fine by me, since I do not know any better, and especially since I am not spoiled yet by the sound of playing a solid koa. I just need something that I can play with my daughter, since she has pretty much monopolized the KA-S.

I don't have a UAS support group in my area (that I know of), but maybe I can pop in a local guitar store and hope that they have some ukes for me to size up. I typically don't like getting anything like this on craigslist, unless it is local and I can see/play it before buying.

I am hoping that I am just caught up with the holiday spending frenzy, and that the quest for the holy uke will subside by the new year.

"Find your uke... find your uke..." - a la Monty Python

Actually, you need two of each. One for High G and one for Log G.. So minimum ukes owned I would say..... should be around 12 :shaka:

Angst over second uke

Already got a ohana mahogany tenor and a month in and feeling great...but from some of the comments here no need to get angst ridden over getting a fluke then...?:confused::confused::confused:

Kala acacia ukes are nice. Worth the money. Another uke company to look at is Mele ukulele. The best import IMO. www.meleukulele.com and another awesome online dealer is www.ukerepublic.com you can not own too many ukes unless it interferes with your family. Pass that ka-s to your daughter and move up in the uke world.

Top Bottom