1st post, help identify

musical5

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my 1st post here. Im very new to the uke world. I play guitar and mandolin. I was thinking of picking up a Uke I saw today. This looks like a really cool Uke. It did not have a name, except for the neck heel was banded "rich 01333" The fret board and headstock are all mother of pearl. Any ideas what brand it might be? Thanks folks. Justin
IMG00052.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi,

This is my 1st post here. Im very new to the uke world. I play guitar and mandolin. I was thinking of picking up a Uke I saw today. This looks like a really cool Uke. It did not have a name, except for the neck heel was banded "rich 01333" The fret board and headstock are all mother of pearl. Any ideas what brand it might be? Thanks folks. Justin
IMG00052.jpg
[/IMG]

Is there no soundhole sticker or markings? Is it a solid or laminate?

Thanks for the reply. No label or markings other than the "rich 01333" burnt into the neck inside the guitar. Could be rick. It was a solid top.

In all honesty, who cares about the brand. Throw some strings on it and if it sounds good, go with it.

LOL. Aint that the truth. Some of my favorite instruments get scoffed at until people hear them. I'm going to go back and get it. I was just curious about who may have made it. The mother of pearl fretboard caught me by suprise.

Thanks
Justin

First, welcome to Ukulele Underground!

Next, I have held an identical ukulele, which was in much worse shape than yours. It also had nothing to identify it, but it is likely made by Harmony. The body shape is Harmony, I would think from the 50's. Cleaned up and with new strings I bet it would sound pretty good. Is is a good deal? Let us know if you get it! Have a blast!

Nice "mother-of-toilet seat" fingerboard and headstock! I'd say it looks like the work of one of the big Chicago-based brands from 1920's-40's: Kay, Regal or Harmony. If the price is right I'd grab it.

- Steve

How much do they want for it?

From the pic, it's hard to tell if there are all four strings on it, and if there are, they're probably so old they'd sound like crap, so I'd ask if they could put a new set on for you to be able to evaluate it if you're really interested. Since you already play guitar and mando, you should at least be able to tell if the neck is straight, if the action is decent, and if the tuners are shot and need replacement.

Depending on the price point, it may or may not be worth it, especially if it needs some work. You might be better off going with a low-modest priced new uke from MGM, where he at least does a proper set-up on even the cheapest ukes to ensure that they are optimally playable.

Thanks for the replies guys. There are no strings on it, so I wont be able to check the action until I string it. It is in very nice shape though. Its at an antique store for $40. I'll definitely go back for it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Thanks again
Justin

I agree. Really like you and your daughters sound Steve!

Justin

I agree with Steve, for $40 it would be a lot of fun. One unsolicited tip, antique stores are often willing to take 10% off if you simply ask if they can do any better on the price. Even at 40 though, I think you will have a great little vintage uke! Post pictures when you get it!
Ryan

Regal or Harmony: second vote

Looks like a Regal or Harmony.

I think so too. C. 50s because of plastic fret board.:agree:

Top Bottom