Advantages to using a pick over fingers?

evanL777

Reaction score
I just began playing guitar. I have been playing uke for a while an have become accustomed to finger picking. I have picked guitar pretty quickly, but I am having trouble with using a pick. I was wondering what the benefits of a pick are. Is it worth putting in the time to learn to use a pick?

Pick work, like everything else, takes time and effort and does offer greater articulation. Lots of players use a combination. Pick between the thumb and index and middle and ring finger used for picking. Some players use a thumb pick and fingers. Here's a few videos of Doyle Dykes using that style. He also has acrylic nails on his fingers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mwFA56dKP8

He uses the thumb pick for bass notes and in combination with the fingers for fast melodic passages. He demonstrates that in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtZgBiR2in4

I have never had much luck with thumb picks and could always use more work on flat picking. I like physically touching the strings. I'm mainly a fingerstyle player. I'll use the pick to strum when leading singing and playing lead.
Regards,
Ray

The answer to your question(imo) is nothing. finger picking all the way. You can pick your way on an acoustic and it doesnt even matter if you use a pick with electric. It sounds great finger picking an electric. if you are having difficulty with the pick just grow out your nails and paint them with nail hardener once a day. dont grow them to long because the guitar strings are a lot...."harder"? than ukulele strings so you can break a nail. :p

I did not learn with a pick, and I just can't play with one even if I try. I feel like you have more freedom if you use your fingers. I was trained in slack key, and that's allll finger picking so I guess I'm kind of biased. I guess advantages of using a pick would be it is louder, and palm muting is easier.

Top Bottom