Tenor yewkulele

Nice work, Pete :music:

I wondered if any of yew in the yew-kay were yewsing yew when the subject of alternative tonewoods came up recently.

Merry Christmas to you and yours :)

I would KILL for a pineapple Yewk. :drool:

Dang, those sound amazing.

Beautiful ukulele in all aspects. Yew can be sure I'll own a Howlett one day.

I guess I really have landed now! Pity there is no image with that Elderly piece...

I see they got the pictures of Pete's ukulele up at Elderly now. It's a certain someone's b-day today, and that certain someone is going in to Elderly to play Pete's uke, and seriously consider buying it. $500 is more than I typically get to spend on my birthday, but I'm considering it! It's probably good it's not the yewkulele, or I'd be all done!

That is a true early Howlett about 11 years old made from Big Island Koa purchased from Winklers. The bookmatch is a clue as to when and where the wood comes from - it's the offcuts from my days as a Weissenborn builder and the sopranos I made from this stuff, almost by default all sounded great. I was still trying to figure out how to make these ukulele and this wood really helped out. When I couldn't get that type of koa anymore it took another 10 years for me to figure out how to make a good soprano! The inlay in the headstock was laser cut for me by Anita Lear in the UK. Google her name for some breathtaking work on her website, most of it done for Lord Lindley the royal cabinet/furniture maker! The finish is direct from the gun acid catalyst lacquer sprayed for me by now retired Bob Hill who originally trained as a car body finisher for Jaguar cars in the West Midlands. The only thing I'd do with this if I bought would change those cheap Ping tuners. Back in 1997 when I think this was made it was all you could get until Grover then Gotoh stepped up to the plate...

I hope this is enough information for you :)

That sort of info makes for interesting reading. History and development etc. Not sure if this is the right thread and me asking a question, but what is Island Style? Mattclara please report back when you have completed your mission. Over and out.:drool:

It's a beautiful uke--it compares well to anything at Elderly. While I'm still a beginner uke player, it seemed as though it wanted to be picked more than strummed, but, in addition to my own inexperience, Saturday's at Elderly can be loud and distracting. It's not unusual for people to just pick up instruments and start jamming together. That wasn't happening yesterday, but I did have three ~nine year olds loudly picking out the notes to Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water on the Mahalos right next to me. I stunned them into silence with my grade one tab of Deck the Halls, though. They were probably thinking, wow, that guy plays as well as a twelve year old.

Ultimately, though, I'm not partial to sopranos, and my wife told me yesterday afternoon that she's taking me to New Orleans for my birthday present, so new ukes are not in the equation right now.

It is a beautiful ukulele, Pete. My only disappointment was the lack of a Pete Howlett label.

Last edited:
Top Bottom