Bb

Tonyd

Reaction score
B flat.

I'm not good with tabs yet, but 3211, is that the right way of writing it ?

Anyway. I'm doing well on all my other chords except this one. I'm having trouble getting my fingers over the strings cleanly (fat stubby fingers)

Is there an alternative way of playing it ? or am I stuck with practice practice..

There are several other inversions; 3215, 7565 but the 3211 is IMO the easiest shape to hold. And yea, it comes down pretty much to practice.

My world has changed

Thank you from me as well. Bb is now fun to play!:D

Most of the time, I just substitute a Bb(add9), which looks like this: 3213

Easier to play, and sounds "hipper" IMO.

(That said, you should still learn the regular barre version of Bb, because it's a moveable shape that will come in handy with other chords as well.)

JJ

If you examine the notes in the 3211 chord form (Bb), you will see that both the 1st and 4th string are playing a Bb note. It does little harm to leave one of them out when you fret the chord - just don't play that string. I don't have any trouble barring the chord, but if you do try it both ways you won't hear much difference. There are other chords on the uke this way. The chord will sound a little higher or lower, depending on which string you leave off, but it will still be a Bb chord and there will be harmony in the land.

If you examine the notes in the 3211 chord form (Bb), you will see that both the 1st and 4th string are playing a Bb note. It does little harm to leave one of them out when you fret the chord - just don't play that string. I don't have any trouble barring the chord, but if you do try it both ways you won't hear much difference. There are other chords on the uke this way. The chord will sound a little higher or lower, depending on which string you leave off, but it will still be a Bb chord and there will be harmony in the land.

That's a great idea! I'll definitely remember this as a backup! But I think I should still practice the 3211 though, because I think I can eventually get it. It's just barring all the way across, especially on a Fluke (wider fretboard), that's hard for me.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

I had a terrible time with this chord, but really forced myself to nail it. Now I really enjoy the sound of the chord and I am seeing how it can be used as a movable shape. I'd say push through and practice practice practice.

That said...I agree with a previous poster on the E chord. I am regularly avoiding that one. Guess it's time to heed my own advice.

i feel a bit guilty that ist is obvious to me you need to barre this cohrd. in fact whenever you can you need to barre. e.g Fm7, D7, Gflat7, BflatM Aaug, Any diminished chord. D9, the list goes on and on.

even the E chord you should barre the whole first fret, not just cos it is easier but cos it is easier to move. try moving from E to B to A ( keep the 3 and 4 fingers on and just slide them back to the a) and then back again to see what i mean.

it makes movement and

Bb is no problem to me. D and E, on the other hand... grrr! I can do them but they ain't comfy. :(

Top Bottom