stuck between honu vs kelii koa tenor

theobromaholic

Reaction score
I've been playing my Kala KA-S for about half a year now, and I think I am ready to upgrade to a tenor, preferably solid wood (koa would be nice). I don't have the budget (or the skills) to get and play a Kamaka. I am eyeing either Kelii or a Honu solid koa.

Any suggestions from those who played both?

Thanks, and happy holidays!
-Theo

Last edited:
The Kelii's are made in Hawaii. The Honu's are made in Vietnam, according to the Big Island Uke website.

..."The current line of HONU Ukuleles is not made in Hawaii. The Koa wood is harvested, cut, and milled on the Big Island of Hawaii by our parent company and sent overseas to be manufactured into a high quality instrument.

...We've found a special factory in Vietnam to work with to provide the attention-to-detail and excellent sound that makes this a high-quality instrument that rivals the best ukulele makers in the world. We hope you will appreciate the value of this high-quality instrument!"

I would rather the USA made Kelii uke. However, the Kelii's nut and saddle are rosewood. I'd rather have something like bone or Tusq. Get the Kelii, replace the nut and saddle.

I have the same Kala, cept I've had it for a year now. I found out that more songs need more frets and it's hard adjusting from a soprano to a tenor.

Still, UAS is kicking me in the butt and I was looking at the Honu's and Kelii's in MGM's shop as well.

Everyone who owns a Honu on the forums really enjoys them, say they have a nice, but soft tone. I am most drawn to their turtle headstock and inlays :D and they are good for the price.

The Kelii aren't so common, only one I know who plays it is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBqwe_IO85w

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YbAL1mjefM

They are two great ukes for their solid-ness :p, but I'm guessing you just have to try out each one and see.

I'm curious to see how each one sounds like so if you get one, PLEASE make a video review! :D

Just my :2cents:

Get a Mele:) otherwise you got two good options. I've never played a keli'I but I've only heard good things about them.

Top Bottom