PDA

View Full Version : wedding ring

russ_buss
05-04-2008, 07:40 AM
hey UU family members,

so i just got married last night. still a little hungover, which is to be expected for a sunday morning. i picked up my uke this morning to play off that hangover and i noticed my wedding ring getting in the way while i played. is this common for you married folk out there? do you married folk take off your rings before playing?

NukeDOC
05-04-2008, 07:46 AM
dude youre an addict. you just got married and now youre here on UU hahaha. the wifey must be sleeping still haha.

you'll get used to it. before you know it, you'll forget that its there and it will actually feel weird to not have the ring on. at least thats how i remembered it when i was married.

Plainsong
05-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Congrats on the big nuptuals! I wish I had an answer to your question, but I only wear my ring when heading out. Neither my husband or I wear them all the time. I guess in the house there's no one else for us to flirt with, lol. :D

I'd suggest that if you want to wear it all the time, just wear it all the time and the fingers will adjust.

russ_buss
05-04-2008, 07:49 AM
cool, thanks guys. yeah, the first thing i did this morning was pick up my guitar, play a few tunes. that was fine with the ring. then it was on to the ukulele, and i noticed that the ring would clunk against the neck when i played. so yeah, i guess i'll either get used to it or maybe i'll just move it to my right hand.

nothing like a little UU in the morn'!

nikolo727
05-04-2008, 07:51 AM
dude congrats!!!!!!!

im so happy for you!

anywho I wear rings just to wear rings and yeah man, you'll get used to it really fast.

just practice with it on.

it will be weird for a while but you'll be ok!

Aldrine Guerrero
05-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Wow. Congrats on the marriage dude! As far as rings go... I wear a bunch of em when I play, they don't seem to cause too much trouble. The only trouble that I get is when I wear a loose ring and it starts to come off mid-strum hahaha. Also, I try not to wear any on my left hand. :D

allthumbs
05-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Dude-
Put it in your dresser drawer. I saw my Pop's finger get ripped off when he caught it on a pc of expanded metal! I'v been married over 40 yrs to the same gal. Only put it on for the big anniverseries.
Uke......what a great way to serinade the new bride! Congrates and GOOD luck.

russ_buss
05-04-2008, 08:09 AM
thanks for the tips guys! and i'll have some pics up soon once they start rolling in. by the way, they include ukes!:D

UkuleleHill
05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Ywah you get used to it... I just had my ring re-plated and didn't have it for 2 weeks... Weirdest feeling...

deach
05-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Congrats!!!

Ukulele_Junkie
05-04-2008, 08:29 AM
i wear a ring too, doesnt get in the way that much but when i play faster picking songs I put it on my right index finger kinda like Jake does. BTW congratz

seeso
05-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Congrats!! Was it a shotgun wedding? :P

sukie
05-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Congratulations!

You'll get used to the ring. I always wear my ring and iI sometimes forget it's on.

Dino
05-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Congratulations on the marriage. Did you serenade the wife during the reception?

Ame
05-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Congratulations on your marriage Russ! :D

...oh, and good luck with the ring issue haha I personally dont like wearing rings, so i wont have this problem. xP

russ_buss
05-04-2008, 11:28 AM
wow, thanks for all the congrats guys. yeah, we played "somewhere over the rainbow" in lieu of having a first dance. thought we'd switch things up a bit. it went pretty good except i flubbed a couple of chords due to nervousness and tequila.:D

rayan
05-04-2008, 11:30 AM
congratulations Russ!

backdoc972
05-04-2008, 12:00 PM
congrats.

If this helps or hurts I don't know. I've been happily married for 25 years now and I haven't worn a wedding ring in years. I dunno, I'm just not a ring guy. My wife doesn't really seem to care. She works with me, so we're together almost 24/7 anyway.

OrangeUke
05-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Congratulations! I hope you had a great wedding and will have a great honeymoon! :D

As for the ring . . . getting used to it is probably the best advice . . . then again, I don't wear rings.:p

Slick
05-04-2008, 12:14 PM
My wedding ring has been setting in the top of the wife's jewelery box since 1976.

Oh and, "CONGRATULATIONS RUSS"!!!!

GX9901
05-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Congrats Russ! For some reason I thought you were already married...:confused:

I almost lost my wedding band 3 times within a few months of getting married so I put it in my wallet.:p My wife actually lost her wedding ring :eek:, so I guess we're really bad.:o

I wish you the best in your new chapter in life.

russ_buss
05-04-2008, 01:05 PM
i have a feeling i'll stop wearing it after a while like some of you folks. not a big fan of jewelry but wanted to represent for at least a little while.

thanks again for all the congrats! the UU family is too kind.

and no seeso, not a shotgun wedding although we did play around with the idea of having the bride's dad walk us down the aisle with a shotgun. that would have been funny.:)

14twelve
05-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Congratulations Russ!! And all the best for your future together :)

Dominator
05-04-2008, 05:08 PM
hey UU family members,

so i just got married last night. still a little hungover, which is to be expected for a sunday morning. i picked up my uke this morning to play off that hangover and i noticed my wedding ring getting in the way while i played. is this common for you married folk out there? do you married folk take off your rings before playing?

Russ, I just noticed this thread. CONGRATS on taking the plunge. This October my wife and I will celebrate our 26th anniversary.

I was playing in a rock band when we got married and she just reminded me that I complained about the ring getting in my way back then. It couldn't have lasted very long though because I never remember any problems playing with it on.

You will notice that the only ukulele video I have where I'm not wearing my ring is the One Note Samba. That's because it kept banging on the bridge when I was doing the percussion. Other than that no problems.

JosephBautista
05-04-2008, 05:31 PM
hey UU family members,

OMG GRATZ RUSS...soo beautiful...:)

davoomac
05-04-2008, 05:34 PM
dude youre an addict. you just got married and now youre here on UU hahaha..

Haha this is the first thing I thought when I read this. CONGRATS on getting married!!! :D

menehunenyc
05-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Good luck to you Russ and your wife. I've been wearing my wedding band since the day I got married. I may have taken it off 2-3 times just to see if I could, but now theres no way I can take it off, just too tight. so yeah you will get used to it. Maybe you can loop a nice gold chain and wear it around your neck? I've seen guys do that...

russ_buss
05-04-2008, 07:25 PM
thanks everyone. i think my ring is just wide and clunky. there lies the problem.

and yes, nuke and davoo, i'm a total addict.

and dom, i bet you were a hell of a rock star in back then. i'm thinking hair like david lee roth right? haha

Ukeguy510
05-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Congratz russ! It's time to get off UU and get your bomchickawahwah on ;)

As for the ring part, I wear my ring about 90% of the time by choice. My ring is rather wide but is a tight fit to prevent it from slipping while playin the uke. Just takes some gettin used to I guess.

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-04-2008, 08:31 PM
hey UU family members,

congrats on the marriage(sp??) i seen Dom with his ring still on, on some of his vids.

I have to ask - how much was the wedding?? Im thinking wedding are expensive

you going on honey moon?, if thats the correct word

uber_goober
05-05-2008, 03:44 AM
First, congratulations! And now on to the ring. I generally leave my wedding band on my left hand when I play ukulele. Though I'll move it to my right hand in certain circumstances. (for example, if I'm playing guitar and using a slide).

If you're doing a lot of crazy strumming with your right hand, you might want to leave it on your left (to prevent it from slipping off if it's loose, accidentally striking the body of the instrument, etc.).

As everyone has said, give it some time and you won't even notice the ring. It will feel natural. But if it still gets in the way, just put it in a safe place when you take it off. :)

Congrats again,

-John

Lanark
05-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Congrats.

I like being married. We've only got five years under our belts, but they've been the best of our lives...

About the only time I ever take my ring off is in the shower (which is mostly about paranoia about losing it down the drain off a soapy hand.) I do vaguely remember that I was very aware of it in the beginning in terms of playing guitar and such, but it quickly faded. It's not really much of an actual hinderance as it is an unfamiliarity with having something on your hand while playing. You'll adjust.

But I suppose the decision of wearing it or not is individual.

russ_buss
05-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Congratz russ! It's time to get off UU and get your bomchickawahwah on ;)

haha, not with the inlaws still visiting!

russ_buss
05-05-2008, 06:17 AM
congrats on the marriage(sp??) i seen Dom with his ring still on, on some of his vids.

I have to ask - how much was the wedding?? Im thinking wedding are expensive

you going on honey moon?, if thats the correct word

thanks man. we tried to keep the cost down because we didn't want to blow all our savings. but lets just say, if we didn't get married, i could have a closet full of kamakas.:D:(

JumpingPulgas
05-05-2008, 06:26 AM
I was already married when I started playing the uke, but I do remember not being used to wearing a ring at first. I don't like wearing any jewelry either, but after a while, I got used to wearing my ring and it feels weird without it :D

Lanark
05-05-2008, 07:49 AM
thanks man. we tried to keep the cost down because we didn't want to blow all our savings. but lets just say, if we didn't get married, i could have a closet full of kamakas.:D:(

That's part of why we went to the court house and did the little private ceremony before a judge and then spent all our cash on a honeymoon in San Francisco.

russ_buss
05-05-2008, 07:55 AM
That's part of why we went to the court house and did the little private ceremony before a judge and then spent all our cash on a honeymoon in San Francisco.

yeah, we thought about eloping, but the party was really for the family. no regrets, it was a blast!

how did you enjoy your visit to our fair city?

Fred Miu
05-05-2008, 08:04 AM
DUDE! Russel! you never told me that you got married so soon!!!!

this meet up will consist of part of your wedding celebration!!!

congrats bro!

Dominator
05-05-2008, 08:09 AM
and dom, i bet you were a hell of a rock star in back then. i'm thinking hair like david lee roth right? haha

Well, I had plenty of it back then, that's for sure :D.

http://www.rockslide.org/Images/lespaul.jpg

seeso
05-05-2008, 08:11 AM

Dom, that picture just made my day. My whole week even. YOU ARE A LEGEND.

russ_buss
05-05-2008, 08:44 AM
DUDE! Russel! you never told me that you got married so soon!!!!

this meet up will consist of part of your wedding celebration!!!

congrats bro!

thanks Fred. sounds like a plan!

russ_buss
05-05-2008, 08:47 AM

that is priceless! too awesome dom!

Dominator
05-05-2008, 09:04 AM
that is priceless! too awesome dom!

My wife carries a similar pic around with her in her wallet just to blow people away when the situation presents itself. :eek: is the reaction from most.

seeso
05-05-2008, 09:14 AM
You still got that Les Paul?

Plainsong
05-05-2008, 09:36 AM
And even back then you were far up that fretboard... already looking for a uke sound. :D

GX9901
05-05-2008, 09:44 AM
:eek::D:eek: was my reaction when I saw Dom's picture. That's priceless man.:D

Fred Miu
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
hey guys, lets not try to change subject here.

i believe Dom posted some pics like this on the post a pic of yourself thread

Dominator
05-05-2008, 10:38 AM
hey guys, lets not try to change subject here.

i believe Dom posted some pics like this on the post a pic of yourself thread

Freddy, where is that post? I couldn't find it. The search function is not helping.

Dominator
05-05-2008, 10:42 AM
You still got that Les Paul?

Nope. Traded it for a stratocaster before moving to California. I really liked that LP. I traded the strat for another LP and had it until about a year ago. I sold it to a friend in So Ca so I could build a good computer for recording and I still haven't got that done. I can get that one back if I want it. That's why the guy bought it..........just to keep it in the "family" so to speak.

Sorry for the hi-jack Russ.

JoeyJr858
05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Hey congrats man...

I'm hitting my 2 year anniv in August, so getting used to an object wrapped around a finger was a bit odd, but I eventually got used to it!

you know what the ring is right????
It's a GPS system!!! HAHAHAHA

If you're not wearing it... oh man... trouble! HAHAHAH

russ_buss
05-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Sorry for the hi-jack Russ.

never a problem Dom. that photo was well worth the hijack:D

russ_buss
05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
you know what the ring is right????
It's a GPS system!!! HAHAHAHA

If you're not wearing it... oh man... trouble! HAHAHAH

oh man ain't that the truth! GPS, haha!

NotoriousMOK
05-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Congratulations Russ! I'd try to get used to the ring if I were you -- your new bride might 'twitch' if it wasnt where it belongs. If you absolutely can't adjust, perhaps you could hang it around yer neck on a chain?

Have fun!

david98116
05-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Congrats !!! My wedding ring tends to always knock against my Kanilea's neck. I have been wearing it less and less. My wife agrees that I might need to get it tattooed.

Plainsong
05-05-2008, 10:54 PM
My husband and I would much prefer tattoos. The problem is, that as a graphics guy, he wants to make it himself. But works in computer graphics doesn't work for tattoos. I keep suggesting that we can tell the artist our idea and he'll be surprised what happens, but he's picky because it would be his first. It's my third, so I'm usually more "Yeah, yeah, that's cool, let's get that!" :)