Chord Switching Problem

UkeMan09

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm learning the famous "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Bruddah Iz, and the chords from the book I'm learning are a bit hard but sound great. However, it seems that when I'm switching between some chords, I'm almost dropping the uke, even though its on my lap. Anybody have any solutions for this? I was thinking maybe getting a strap or something, but wasn't sure. Any help is appreciated!

-UM :shaka:

What chords are you using? If you're using C, Em, Am, F etc. the neck should be resting in the U of your thumb and forefinger. I hold the C shape with my ringfinger, easily switching to Em using my forefinger on the A string, my middlefinger on the E string and my ringfinger on the C string. And still cradling the neck in that crook between the thumb and forefinger.

The chords are extremely strange because they are guitar chords.

Your information is a bit confusing.
I think it would be really good if you can post a picture (or better yet a video) demonstrating how you are holding the uke and playing the chords.

And what do you mean by "guitar chords"?
Are you using a chord chart specifically for ukuleles, or reading off a guitar chord chart (which would be different due to tuning and 6-strings).

Otherwise, chords are just chords. They are not chords for "guitar" specifically, but can be played on any instrument capable of playing chords, be it piano, uke, guitar or mandolin, etc :)

Sorry for the confusing info. Basically it is meant for a guitar that is capo'd at the 5th fret without playing the top 2 strings, which is supposedly how to transform a guitar to a ukulele. However, the chords are listed as guitar chords, and there's a small diagram showing how to play the various chords that I'm going off of, so I do not know which ukulele chords they are. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but that is the best way to describe it.

I have read on another post, cant find link sorry, that you can use a classical guitar strap. It goes around your neck, then there is a string that goes around the bottom of the Uke and clips into the sound hole

Top Bottom