Final set-up problems

curlykoa

Reaction score
It's 11:45 pm Christmas Eve here in Oregon and my tenor uke for my daughter's present just got put in place for morning. This was my fourth uke. It has beautiful rich koa for sides, back and binding with a redwood top. I was thrilled with the tone. I put Hilo low G strings on. I haven't played a tenor before (or a uke with low G tuning) but it seems that little extra string length produces more sustain. Set-up had me worried tho.

Second fret was high. I didn't get a "buzz"; I got the same note fretting the first OR the second fret on the 4th and 3rd strings! Maybe the first fret was low? I did what I could: adjusted the saddle a little and filed down the second fret. It scared me, but after several hours messing with it, it's OK: Plays half tones each fret, each string, no buzzing. But I need a set-up lesson!

My strings are about 3/16 above the 14th fret. Too high? What would you pros do in the situation described? Appreciate all help, and happy holidays:) one and all.

Fret work...level, crown, and polish...is one of the most important things to learn if you're going to make ukes or guitars. There's a lot of great information on both the Stewart MacDonald site and at www.frets.com which is Frank Ford's site.

Then you've got setup...basic action at nut and saddle. It's amazing how important it is to get the action right at the nut; you can feel the results of it being right all the way up the neck.

I'd say your action is a bit on the high side, but that's strictly a matter of personal preference.

I failed to mention the fretboard was fitted with the zero fret when I "found" it, so that is how it is made. My husband wondered if I could tap out the zero fret and put it back in a bit higher. I have none of the heavier fret wire it's made with, so the thought of trying that gives me chills...thanks for the reply and links Rick. Merry Christmas!

Well then we know the fault is not at the nut. Sure sounds to me like your frets are not flat in relationship to one another. Your fret board and/or your neck could be out of whack as well. That's the first thing you need to check. Good information from Frank Ford's site as Rick mentioned. He covers it all.
Merry Christmas!

Got an Ohana CK35 for christmas, thought it was most relevant to post here, I'm experiencing Buzzing from the Bridge, I'm using aquilas, I've taken the strings off and got some Worths on the way, obviously the bridge isn't fixed so I'm wondering if it may not be seated properly? I mean its free to move about a lot as in when i take the strings off it just drops off.

Thanks guys.
Will

Top Bottom