Essential Ukulele Songs

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't know how many of you visit UU member Woodshed's Uke Hunt site, but he's just posted a call out for definitive ukulele songs. I've reposted his post below, with the call-out in bold. The only one I know of is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." I thought the large number of Hawaiians on this site would know a lot more than I, so I thought I'd let you guys know about it.

I’ve written up a page about Ukulele Songs: songs that are heavily associated with the ukulele. They’re the ones that people who know nothing about the ukulele will ask you to play, the ones you’ll see hundreds of ukulele versions of on YouTube.

It’s quite interesting to note that most of the songs are from the ukulele heyday of the mid-20s but weren’t primarily associated with the uke until picked up decades later.

As well as including the definitive versions of those songs, there are links to less well known but equally good (and often better) than the better known songs and also links to tab, chords and instructional videos.

Before any Jake fans get up in arms, this page is just for songs. I’ll be doing a ‘Ukulele Music’ page at some point.

If you think I’ve missed anything or you’ve got any suggestions for ukulele music page (and I need help on that one - I’ve only got three so far) leave a comment and let me, and everyone else, know.

Thanks for the reply, Keoni. You wouldn't happen to know who the original artists are for those tunes, would ya?

No problem Seeso, I'm sure there are probably some more current songs out there, but these were the quintessential uke songs when I started out, and they're still classics :D

Guava Jam - Ka'au Crater Boys (originally, I think it might have been the Peter Moon Band)

On Fire - Ka'au Crater Boys (Jake later redid this when he was with Pureheart, but I think the Ka'au Crater Boys version was more popular)

Jus Press - Pureheart (I might be wrong, but I think this was originally done by Ledward Ka'apana...)

Surf - Ka'au Crater Boys

Drop Baby Drop - This was done by the Mana'o Company and by Sean Na'auao...I don't know who did it first, and it's hard to say which version was more popular :/

Garauntee Manao Company it sounds so old school.

Dont really like Seans version.

Thanks for starting the thread, Seeso.

And thanks Keonikapila. Guava Jam definitely has to be one. It had completely slipped my mind.

BTW, the three I was thinking of are While My Guitar, 12th Street Rag and Crazy G.

Kawika - Sunday Manoa; written by King David Kalakaua and originally a chant. Released in 1969 on the album "Guava Jam". The entire album, IMO pretty much opened the door to give Hawaiian music a new life thanks to three gentlemen; Robert & Roland Cazimero and Peter Moon. A must have for any hawaiian music fan.

Drop Baby Drop was orginally done by TMC when Sean was still a member. After going solo, he recorded it on "Homegrown Hawaiian". TMC version was released I think in 1991.

Last edited:
No problem Seeso, I'm sure there are probably some more current songs out there, but these were the quintessential uke songs when I started out, and they're still classics :D

Guava Jam - Ka'au Crater Boys (originally, I think it might have been the Peter Moon Band)

On Fire - Ka'au Crater Boys (Jake later redid this when he was with Pureheart, but I think the Ka'au Crater Boys version was more popular)

Jus Press - Pureheart (I might be wrong, but I think this was originally done by Ledward Ka'apana...)

Surf - Ka'au Crater Boys

Drop Baby Drop - This was done by the Mana'o Company and by Sean Na'auao...I don't know who did it first, and it's hard to say which version was more popular :/

I second this list. This is just about exactly the same as what I started out on!

By the way seeso, that cd is coming! :D

Another one that might be added to the list is Europa...seems like all the local uke artists have their own version

BTW, the three I was thinking of are While My Guitar, 12th Street Rag and Crazy G.
Definitely Crazy G...dunno how I forgot that!

Kawika - Sunday Manoa; written by King David Kalakaua and originally a chant. Released in 1969 on the album "Guava Jam". The entire album, IMO pretty much opened the door to give Hawaiian music a new life thanks to three gentlemen; Robert & Roland Cazimero and Peter Moon. A must have for any hawaiian music fan.

Drop Baby Drop was orginally done by TMC when Sean was still a member. After going solo, he recorded it on "Homegrown Hawaiian". TMC version was released I think in 1991.

Thanks for the updated info Kanaka!

Top Bottom