Surprise uke

ricksan66

Reaction score
Last Sunday at a family gathering, my ten year old niece who is very musically inclined and a wonderful piano player, took interest in my ukulele. My brother talked about purchasing one for her, but since I recently purchased my lovely Mainland, I had a spare that wasn't getting proper attention. So, yesterday I drove over and gave my niece the old uke and few chord charts, and demonstrated a few chords. She smiled real wide and thanked me sweetly. Later, I could see the gears turning in her head as she got out her favorite book of piano music and started trying to figure out she could play some of those songs on the uke. I can't wait to hear her play.

Lastly, I told her that if she ever got tired of her uke or if she purchased a better one (more likely), that she was supposed to give this one away to someone she thought would enjoy it.

Merry Christmas!

That is too excellent! Spreading the love of ukulele to the next generation. :)

Giving away instruments is a true joy!

I had an electric guitar that was severely neglected for YEARS and I finally decided that it wasn't fair, so I put up a craigslist ad advertising a free guitar to whomever most deserved it.

Went to a single mom who had bought her teenage daughter a CHEAP acoustic guitar because she figured it was just a phase, and three years later she was still playing - but the mom couldn't afford to get her an upgrade.

So I met her at a starbucks and handed it over, case, amp, and all. She almost cried, I almost cried, and I felt great.

Last Sunday at a family gathering, my ten year old niece who is very musically inclined and a wonderful piano player, took interest in my ukulele. My brother talked about purchasing one for her, but since I recently purchased my lovely Mainland, I had a spare that wasn't getting proper attention. So, yesterday I drove over and gave my niece the old uke and few chord charts, and demonstrated a few chords. She smiled real wide and thanked me sweetly. Later, I could see the gears turning in her head as she got out her favorite book of piano music and started trying to figure out she could play some of those songs on the uke. I can't wait to hear her play.

Lastly, I told her that if she ever got tired of her uke or if she purchased a better one (more likely), that she was supposed to give this one away to someone she thought would enjoy it.

Merry Christmas!
Aww, great story and what a smart kid grabbing the piano music!

Top Bottom