New 6 string questions.

Milla

Reaction score
So santa brought me a new lanikai 6 string this morning! There are a few things I'm worried about. First is the low A string. Its obviously a wound string, but it a steel wound string. The wound part is metal of some kind, but I'm unsure of whats under it. Is this normal for wound uke strings? I have it loosened out of tune so it won't damage the uke if it is the wrong type of string. Second is the action. past the 4th fret or so it gets very high and at the end of the fretboard its probably 1cm or more. Can I adjust this by sanding the saddle? Which brings me to another thing. There is a pea sized glop of dried glue on the bridge :/ and the saddle is oddly and roughly sanded on one side. Would these things warrant a return? My previous uke I had to return because of a crack and I had to pay the shipping :/ I'll see if I can post some pics. Even with the ghs strings it sounds great. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

~Nick

Since you have several questions, I’ll address the string set. Lanikai’s usually come strung with GHS strings and it is normal for one of the paired strings to be wound. For the six string models the 1st (A) and 3rd (C) course is octaved. I don’t know if it’s a steel wound and as far as what’s under, could possibly be nylon. It won’t damage the uke. Most people who play a 6 or an 8 string prefer an unwound string and a few prefer a wound. As far as I know, Worth is the only manufacturer who produces an unwound string set. Instruments that come with GHS strings are usually re-strung after getting it.

As far as action, run a quick search. There are many threads about that particular topic. IMO, if you’re not satisfied with the product, I would call the seller and discuss the problems to determine if it warrants a return.

Last edited:
I've got a Lanikai O-6 that really sounds pretty nice with worth clear strings, which are all unwound.

So I couldn't stand the wound A string. I had another set of worth browns laying around so I put the low g on and tuned it up to an a. Sounds much better. Already ordered some worth browns to restring it with. And under the wound string was almost like nylon string, very soft, the wound string is just so overpowering, it doesn't match well with the other strings. I will be calling the seller Monday to discuss the problems. Thanks for the help guys.

The wound string is fine. I had a 6 string with a wound a and a wound low g. As far as the action goes, if it sounds good and it plays well and your afraid to do it yurself. No worries. Just play it.

Forgot to mention some options when you restring. You can have the A string in unison vs. octaved. I see you've also opted for a low G. Most can live with the octaved C.

Currently I have a high g, I just used a low g string to replace the wound low a string. I just tuned it up to an A. Gah the little glue spot just irritates me :mad:
I promise I'll post a pic!

I kept the treble brighter since a low G and a low A was already being utilized.

I meant to say low C in the previous thread. I went with a regular G vs a low G then I just doubled up on the A string and kept it in unison. You can still hear the low C and not as overbearing as the low A. That's just me.

I meant to say low C in the previous thread. I went with a regular G vs a low G then I just doubled up on the A string and kept it in unison. You can still hear the low C and not as overbearing as the low A. That's just me.

I think I might have to try this out today, thanks Kanaka!

Cheryl from mele recommended this tuning to me. I never got around to it. I thought the low a was a little overbearing but once I added the low g it took care of the low a being so overpowering.

so I tried out a unison paired A, and to be honest, it almost sounds too high coupled with the octaved C. I ended up switching back to octaved A, but it was a fun experiment

Top Bottom