Getting started on a CBU

Harry R

Reaction score
Decided to build my own ukulele as a project, and I have a nice size cigar box (almost exactly the same size as the body of my mahalo uke) and I've also measured out the size of a neck, mimicking my mahalo, from a peice of hard wood (unsure of which type). What is the best way of attaching it to the box? Do I need to run the wood inside the box, or can I just nail it on?
Thanks

First, check out the Cigar Box Nation website for all the details you'll ever need.

If you're running a "through box" design where the neck and tailpiece are all one piece of wood, you can either attach it on the top of the box dulcimer style, or cut holes in the side of the box so it runs inside the box under the lid. Either method is acceptable.

If you're trying to attach the neck separately like a regular guitar or uke, you'll need some reinforcement. A dovetail joint and braces in the inside of the box, that sort of thing so it doesn't try to fold in on itself. Nails are definitely not the way to go. A good glue joint with perhaps screws from the inside of the box into the neck would work much better.

It's unusual to hear me say this, but dont go to cigarboxnation...its great, but its become a "buy this" instead of "build it yourself". Hit this site up.

http://handmademusic.ning.com/video/video

Neck-thru is good, but its easy enough to put a block inside for support, then glue/screw neck on.

feel free to message me with any questions.

I agree with CornFed..

I agree with Cornfedgroove.. You are working with a cigar box, much more robust than your typical ukulele body.

Reinforcing the box where the neck is attached with some bracing inside, and then glue and screw the neck on will work, plus you can do this without the special equipment required for a dovetail fit.

If you look at some of the videos of Cornfedgrooves instruments and some of my stuff as well, you can see that this is a solid and proven way to attach the neck without compromising sound.

Seems like cigar box ukuleles are popping up much more frequently than in the past few years. Awesome to see a revival in homemade ingenuity. Good luck with your project!!

If you're doing a soprano you don't need no fancy joint, just make sure the joints are tight and glue her up. If you're going concert or larger use a bolt or screw... barrel nuts are the bomb. I like poplar a lot... ( 3 piece necks, tail blocks, neck blocks for cbus ) very strong very cheap and very tone worthy... very

PS... I'm not sure which transfers tone better... spline joint, dovetail joint, or just a simple bolt on joint... seems nobody agrees... In my mind a spline joint or maybe even a spanish heel would seem to transfer the tone in sync with the body but anyways... I say keep it simple but build it like you want it to last generations, that's what it's all about.

And another thing... next time I do a cbu I'll take some meat out of the sides...

Last edited:
If you're doing a soprano you don't need no fancy joint, just make sure the joints are tight and glue her up. If you're going concert or larger use a bolt or screw... barrel nuts are the bomb. I like poplar a lot... ( 3 piece necks, tail blocks, neck blocks for cbus ) very strong very cheap and very tone worthy... very

PS... I'm not sure which transfers tone better... spline joint, dovetail joint, or just a simple bolt on joint... seems nobody agrees... In my mind a spline joint or maybe even a spanish heel would seem to transfer the tone in sync with the body but anyways... I say keep it simple but build it like you want it to last generations, that's what it's all about.

And another thing... next time I do a cbu I'll take some meat out of the sides...

man, I hate poplar...I used to make gits out of old pallet wood (all poplar). I like strong grain patterns, and poplar just aint got it. It resonates real nice, and is probably really great for a cbu, but I think its ugly:)

As far as joint transfer...just like vic said, keep it simple and make it last. I really like my ukes, and I dont even know what half the stuff he said means lol. I know nobody agrees on that stuff, but some of us dont even care. Not that I make junk mind you, but as far as design, I focus on balancing quality of sound with functional simplicity

I'd say google cigar box uke and see examples of how others do it. For instance, Papa's Boxes have really thick fret boards and he glues the fretboard only to the top of the cigar box. The neck is fastened to the body with a screw that can be tightened to adjust the action. It works very well.

I like to insert the neck into the body and secure it with screws. It works for me. It's not original, I saw someone else doing a similar thing. Look around and see what suits your tools, skills and tastes.

Top Bottom