Re: Sounds like classical guitar question

rubenken

Reaction score
Re: Sounds like classical guitar question

I have a Pono PTEC-CE Ebony Tenor Delux, which has a spruce top, and I'm using the original strings it came with (low G, two bass strings wound). I'm working on some finger style songs, and I'm not having much luck doing hammer ons and pull offs on the two treble strings. Will the D'Addario Pro Arte strings from UU make a difference, or do I just have the wrong instrument for the purpose?

I have a Pono PTEC-CE Ebony Tenor Delux, which has a spruce top, and I'm using the original strings it came with (low G, two bass strings wound). I'm working on some finger style songs, and I'm not having much luck doing hammer ons and pull offs on the two treble strings. Will the D'Addario Pro Arte strings from UU make a difference, or do I just have the wrong instrument for the purpose?

Maybe just keep practising. Not sure if you are having troubles is b/c of the strings or technique. Are u normally able to hammer and pull off? You may want to try alverez strings as well.

Maybe just keep practising. Not sure if you are having troubles is b/c of the strings or technique. Are u normally able to hammer and pull off? You may want to try alverez strings as well.

I do them fine on acoustic guitars.

I do them fine on acoustic guitars.

How long have u been playing uke? I guess what I'm wondering is what kind of problem are the strings giving you? The pro artes are high tension (think that is word). Will that make a difference? I know I can do hammers and pull offs on uke but not guitar. Does your pono have koolau golds?

How long have u been playing uke? I guess what I'm wondering is what kind of problem are the strings giving you? The pro artes are high tension (think that is word). Will that make a difference? I know I can do hammers and pull offs on uke but not guitar. Does your pono have koolau golds?

Yep, koolau golds. I've only been playing 3 months, 4 yrs on guitar.

I find wound strings louder and more sensitive to hammers and pull-offs than nonwound strings.

If you're comparing an ukulele with nylon strings to a guitar with steel strings, the guitar will be louder and more responsive every time. Steel strings have a much higher tension than nylon strings. Guitars have a longer scale length and a bigger body. These factors are contributing to your observations in the comparison. I don't think putting unwound strings are going to give you the same sound (or even close) to what you get from your steel stringed guitar.

My advise is to keep practicing. Give the fretboard a good WHACK and try to catch the string with the flesh of your fingers for the pull-off. After that, work on finese and getting a clean sound.

I find wound strings louder and more sensitive to hammers and pull-offs than nonwound strings.

If you're comparing an ukulele with nylon strings to a guitar with steel strings, the guitar will be louder and more responsive every time. Steel strings have a much higher tension than nylon strings. Guitars have a longer scale length and a bigger body. These factors are contributing to your observations in the comparison. I don't think putting unwound strings are going to give you the same sound (or even close) to what you get from your steel stringed guitar.

My advise is to keep practicing. Give the fretboard a good WHACK and try to catch the string with the flesh of your fingers for the pull-off. After that, work on finese and getting a clean sound.

Thanks, that sounds right on.

Top Bottom