Is it the bridge or is it me?

live2tivo

Reaction score
Okay, so I got a new uke for Christmas (a Mitchell MU-70), and it sounds fantastic. I've played it a handful of times before today, including once after replacing the cheap strings that came on it with some Martins.

All was going well until this morning. When I grabbed my beautiful new ukulele (Penelope) out from under the tree, her A string was hanging by a peg.

After numerous attempts to re-string her with the same string, I opened up another pack of strings I was saving for my other uke. However, even a new string with a different knot kept popping up from the bridge.

I think the A string part of the bridge is broken. (It even looks slightly chipped in that area).

Does anyone know if there is any way for me to fix this myself? I'm going to trek over to the store where I bought it tomorrow, but they don't know a lot about ukes.

Is there some way to fix the bridge without replacing it entirely?

Thanks in advance.

How about some pictures?

Firstly, thanks for all of your responses.

I went to the music store about an hour ago, armed with hopes of an exchange, and a bead in my pocket (thanks, Doug), just in case.
The people working at the store (Music and Arts) were SUPER nice. One of them had been there when I purchased it, and she remembered me (they don't get a lot of people buying ukuleles in Atlanta).
The person helping me instantly saw the problem. (The A slot was wider than the others on the bridge). They offered me a replacement.
They didn't have any in stock, but they got one from another store, and it should be in by Tuesday. They even offered to put new strings on the replacement, because I had purchased the strings I used on the old one there.

All in all, a great experience (apart from the broken bridge that brought me there), and I can't wait until Tuesday.

Glad to see you've got it all sorted out.

Top Bottom