Long Scale Concert vs. Tenor

brUKEman

Reaction score
I was reading some spec's on a uke and it said that the standard concert scale is approximately 15" and a long scale concert is approx. 16".

What exactly does that mean in terms of fret sizes. Will the long scale have wider frets? Or will they be thinner & more of them.

I am trying to decide between a long scale Concert or a Tenor to see what works better with my short fingers?

Not sure what you mean by "wider frets". Longer scale length means the distance between frets is bigger. The width of the frets, i.e. the fret wire, can differ but won't make much difference between different ukes.

Some long-neck concerts have a tenor neck/fretboard combined with a concert body - so that would normally be a 17 inch scale. I haven't seen a 16 inch concert before, so no advice there. Tenors are now kinda like the standard larger scale uke and tend to have more volume and power thanks to the somewhat larger body and the longer scale. On the other hand, one of my really most favorite ukes is a custom Brueko concert.

My advice would be to go to your music shop and try them out, see what you like, what feels comfortable, what sounds good... and then go for that.

HTH, Erich

Top Bottom