Tenor strings on a soprano?

Nuprin

Reaction score
I like the D'Addario Pro Artes I have on my tenors and I really like the amount of tension. I have some D'Addario J65s on my sopranos but don't like the lack of tension. Looking at the tensions for each set of string, they are:

Tenor J71 Pro Arte:
A 12.5 lbs
E 9.5 lbs
C 9.8 lbs
g 10.3 lbs

Soprano J65:
A 7.6 lbs
E 7.6 lbs
C 5.4 lbs
g 8.2 lbs

So, would it be bad or harmful to put a higher tension string like the Pro Artes on a soprano uke?

Well I would believe the tenor strings are thicker, leading to the buzzing of the strings, caused by contact with the frets, even at a weaker strum.

less than ideal

aside from the fact that the nut is slotted to accommodate thinner strings, you may run into problems there.

They may not stay in the slots from string tension alone, or
It may pull out of slot if you bend a note

I built a soprano for my kid and used old tenors on it, but mind you I slotted the nut specifically for them. I avoided all those problems, but found out that it sounds plunky. I dont like it, and as soon as I get around to it...I'll change it all.

Just remember, the J71's have a larger diameter. I believe there were a few folks who used the 92s on sopranos.

J65
  • #J6501 B 0.024 0.61 7.6 3.45
  • #J6502 F# 0.032 0.81 7.6 3.45
  • #J6503 D 0.034 0.86 5.4 2.45
  • #J6504 A 0.022 0.56 14.4 6.53

J71
  • # J4601 A .029" 0.72 mm 12.5 lbs 5.67 kg
  • # J4602 E .033" 0.83 mm 9.5 lbs 4.31 kg
  • # J4603 C .041" 1.04 mm 9.8 lbs 4.45 kg
  • # J4401 G .029" 0.74 mm 10.3 lbs 4.68 kg

J92
  • J4501 A 0.028 0.71 9.1 4.13
  • J4502 E 0.032 0.818 6.9 3.13
  • J4503 C 0.0403 1.024 7.2 3.27
  • J4501 G 0.0280 0.711 7.2 3.27

I still have tenor worths on my Kamaka Soprano (and have had them there for about a year, being too lazy and cheap to restring it). The sound is weaker and emptier than when I had real soprano strings on it. I don't know why it is, but that's what it sounds like. Just sort of more hollow.

However, I did not run into any nut or saddle problems when putting the strings on. It fit just fine for me.

Keep in mind since the scale length of the soprano is less than that of the tenor, in order to tune to the same pitch you'd have to tighten the strings to a lower tension than you would on the tenor. In other words your A string would be tightened not to 12.5 lb but something less in order to play the note A. Assuming the strings are heavier than the soprano ones, it wouldn't be as loose as 7.6 lb but would be somewhere in between.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'll probably rethink putting the tenors on my sopranos. I don't hate the lack of tension...I just wish there was more.

does a soprano string (supernylgut) will work fine if ill place it on may tenor ukule

does a soprano string (supernylgut) will work fine if ill place it on may tenor ukulele (enya x1)
Is there be any problem with that ? Thanks :)

Keep in mind since the scale length of the soprano is less than that of the tenor

that's the real answer. the scale tension is measured WITH the scale lenght, and longer the scale, higher the tension.

those strings will work without any problem, and in some cases the gauge is even the same (for example, D'Addario Carbon. Soprano/Concert and Tenor sets are identical). however, J65 are designed to work in D tuning, not C tuning, so for a C tuning you'll need heavier strings.

that's the real answer. the scale tension is measured WITH the scale lenght, and longer the scale, higher the tension.

those strings will work without any problem, and in some cases the gauge is even the same (for example, D'Addario Carbon. Soprano/Concert and Tenor sets are identical). however, J65 are designed to work in D tuning, not C tuning, so for a C tuning you'll need heavier strings.

I agree. Some folks might find this thread of interest and my comments therein:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-work-fine-if-ill-place-it-on-may-tenor-ukule

Try some GHS hard tension or Fremont Blackline hard tension. I put Fremont's on my sopranino and they firmed the tension up real nice. I had some GHS HT's on my tenor but they were TOO hard for me!

Top Bottom