PDA

View Full Version : slothead uke?

nikolo727
05-04-2008, 03:06 PM
hey ladies and gents.

I was just wondering...where can I get a nice slothead ukulele.

I am looking at getting a flea or a fluke ukulele but other than that I can't find any other slothead ukes.

can anyone help a braddah out?

russ_buss
05-04-2008, 05:07 PM
sorry, don't really have an answer for you. just wanted to let you know your dukulele cracks me up.:)

i do have a fluke though. i like it.

cMejilla
05-04-2008, 05:28 PM
slothead ukes typically are on custom ordered ukes. if they actually mass-produced an affordable slothead uke, i think a lot of the members on this forum (especially me :)) would be sporting them according to the interest from other previous threads.

It'll vary depending on the luthier you contact.

kidkoa
05-04-2008, 06:10 PM
The slotted head stock is a lot of work for a builder and I think the extra few hundred dollars is worth it.
keep strumming.

Guting
05-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah youre gonna need the $$$,

Ive had my eye on the Koolau tenor but at 1g+ heh......

Another one i've seen is from Japan, the youtube guy myuu2 uses it. I remember checking a while back and it seemed much more affordable.

nikolo727
05-05-2008, 05:59 AM
grr money pisses me off

;)

thanks guys

nikolo727
05-05-2008, 06:00 AM
sorry, don't really have an answer for you. just wanted to let you know your dukulele cracks me up.:)

i do have a fluke though. i like it.

lol yeah i love my dukulele.

I will probubly end up getting a flea anyway.

I'm also looking at the Kala Kiwi uke.

its gonna be siiiiiiickkkk!
:D

nikolo727
05-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Ok so I cant get a Slothead uke that is relativley affordable.

No biggey, I can get a flea.

anywhoeuz, I'm also looking for a uke that is very unique. Something that barely anyone has seen before, but still has a great sound, like Jake or Aldrine's uke.

can anyone help?

post pics of some unique looking ukes that are for sale.

ps: I love inlay abalone shell or mother of pearl bindings.

:)

Tikiden
11-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll continue off this one. Of course now there are some affordable slot head Uke options such as the All-Solid Acacia Kala KA ASAC-T among a few others. I own the ASAC-T and it's both great sounding and great looking making it a terrific value for it's price point. Honestly, I thought these would cost more than they a currently going for.

So, I am curious as mentioned earlier why slot heads are so elusive overall?? Is it that demand just doesn't justify production, or that tradition makes them more of a custom/higher end build? I've seen quite a few posts at various locations commenting on how it would be cool if Kamaka made a production slot head like Jake Shimabukuro's model.

Macmuse
11-22-2013, 07:15 AM
Ok so I cant get a Slothead uke that is relativley affordable.

What do you consider affordable and what size? The slot heads I've come across are generally at least a tenor in size (not always, mind you, but generally).

I have a really nice slot head Kala - wonderfully light - out of Okoume from HMS. It's the Kala KA-SMLT and is listed at HMS (with case), Elderly, Uke Republic... varying prices, but all around the $250 mark.

I've been delighted with mine.

Here's Kala's info on them: http://www.kalabrand.com/PR/11.01.2012MahogLites.html?soid=1109591060497&aid=ZSK85NVpCWo

Happy hunting.

KoaDependent
11-22-2013, 08:08 AM
eBay seller ButlerMusic still has some Lanikai Monkeypod Tenor w/cutaway (model SMP-TCA) on clearance for $150. That's as affordable as you're going to see for a slothead, solid-wood uke.

Also look through the factory blemished units they have for the SMP-CCA concert size. Often, the blemishes are so minor you wouldn't notice them.

Uke182
11-22-2013, 08:10 AM
I got a Pono Pro Classic with a slot head ant it is AWSM. Check out theukulelesite.com where they have the BEST selection of Pono's:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/pono.html?dir=desc&limit=all&order=price

Yes, and Kala's have the highest value and the most affordable:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kala.html

Mainland Ukes have a few nice models as well:

http://www.mainlandukuleles.com/

Happy shopping!

Uke182
11-22-2013, 08:47 AM
Here is a Lanikai concert for only $230

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/mimsukuleles/the-179/MIM-cln--Lanikai-Concert-SMP-dsh-CCA/Detail

flyingace
11-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Love my kala cedar acacia slothead. Only $258 at uke republic!

WhenDogsSing
11-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Post retracted.

Uke182
11-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Mainland Mahogany Slothead Concert Ukulele

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/mainland-mahogany-slothead-concert

steel rider
11-22-2013, 09:26 AM
1. Isn't this post in the wrong forum? This is the Marketplace.
2. Maybe I am missing something but slothead ukes don't seem that elusive to me unless maybe you want a soprano. Of course most are not slotted but I see them from Mainland midrange price to lower end to higher end Hawaiian made. I think if you search HMS, Mainland, Uke Republic, Mims, etc there should be a fair amount of choices.

mm stan
11-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Did anyone notice this thread is over 5 years old... :)
hey ladies and gents.

I was just wondering...where can I get a nice slothead ukulele.

I am looking at getting a flea or a fluke ukulele but other than that I can't find any other slothead ukes.

can anyone help a braddah out?

strumsilly
11-22-2013, 10:40 AM

hope he/she found one by now! haha

Macmuse
11-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Someone did. But the rest of us didn't answer their NEW question... we answered the OP. DUH.

mds725
11-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll continue off this one. Of course now there are some affordable slot head Uke options such as the All-Solid Acacia Kala KA ASAC-T among a few others. I own the ASAC-T and it's both great sounding and great looking making it a terrific value for it's price point. Honestly, I thought these would cost more than they a currently going for.

So, I am curious as mentioned earlier why slot heads are so elusive overall?? Is it that demand just doesn't justify production, or that tradition makes them more of a custom/higher end build? I've seen quite a few posts at various locations commenting on how it would be cool if Kamaka made a production slot head like Jake Shimabukuro's model.

Slotheads generally have more topweight. the headstock itself is thicker and, in some cases, the tuning machines contain more metal than tuning machines for flat headstocks and are therefore heavier. I had a Kala solid acacia tenor slothead, and its center of balance was closer to the headstock (because the headstock was heavier) than the center of balance of my flathead ukuleles. That may be why you don't see slotheads in smaller ukuleles. While some people think the sharper string angle at the nut on slotheads results in more precise intonation, most people think the difference isn't significant enough to want a more topheavy uke. I think people like Jake and Aldrine have made slotheads more visible and therefore more popular, which has led to an increase in slotheads among less expensive production models. The Kala solid acacia tenor (I bought mine in 2009) was, I think, one of the first less expensive ukuleles to have a slothead. By the way, Kamaka is in the process of making 100 Jake Shimabukuro limited edition models, although they don't come with a slothead.

Bao
11-22-2013, 03:36 PM
For anyone still looking for nice slothead ukuleles, I'd suggest Leho ukuleles. They are wonderful for the price.

Teek
11-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Any Pono Pro Classic will be a very nice uke, especially the radius fretboard models, and there are a number of slothead (http://www.theukulelesite.com/new-pono-rtshc-c-tenor-slothead-cutaway-radius-fretboard.html) models.

GKK
11-23-2013, 06:16 PM
I'd buy a Soprano Slot Head if they made one!...:D

Bao
11-23-2013, 07:26 PM
I'd buy a Soprano Slot Head if they made one!...:D

My friend actually bought a soprano slothead in vietnam!!! It wasn't a known brand though, infact, it didn't have any brand or label on it at all. The uke was perfect though, it had a great balance from the slothead headstock to the body! And it sounded awesome! Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos and I won't be seeing that friend for a long, long time =\

TheCraftedCow
11-23-2013, 10:26 PM
I have three slot heads I would sell. One is a 2003 Giannini 10EL with a Rosewood body and a bearclaw cedar top. It has a concert neck, and an almost tenor size body. The 2005 banjo ukulele from Giannini of Brazil is concert size with a beautiful wooden body. The front panel is flush with skin head. The third is a 2011 Tenor scale Baroq-ulele with a spruce top and alternating rosewood / lacewood staves for the body. The original wooden peg tuners have been replaced with PEGHEDS. I will take pictures of them if anyone is interested.

Doc_J
11-24-2013, 05:37 AM
I have three slot heads I would sell. One is a 2003 Giannini 10EL with a Rosewood body and a bearclaw cedar top. It has a concert neck, and an almost tenor size body. The 2005 banjo ukulele from Giannini of Brazil is concert size with a beautiful wooden body. The front panel is flush with skin head. The third is a 2011 Tenor scale Baroq-ulele with a spruce top and alternating rosewood / lacewood staves for the body. The original wooden peg tuners have been replaced with PEGHEDS. I will take pictures of them if anyone is interested.

Yes, pictures would be great. I was just wondering how Pegheds might work in a slotted head design.

ProgUke
06-18-2014, 09:06 AM
What do you consider affordable and what size? The slot heads I've come across are generally at least a tenor in size (not always, mind you, but generally).

I have a really nice slot head Kala - wonderfully light - out of Okoume from HMS. It's the Kala KA-SMLT and is listed at HMS (with case), Elderly, Uke Republic... varying prices, but all around the $250 mark.

I've been delighted with mine.

Here's Kala's info on them: http://www.kalabrand.com/PR/11.01.2012MahogLites.html?soid=1109591060497&aid=ZSK85NVpCWo

Happy hunting.

Must agree. I also have the Kala Okoume Tenor, and it is a amazing. Slot head, light weight, beautiful blonde finish, sweet, articulate sound; sounds great when finger picked softly or strummed hard. Put some Worth Browns on there and you're dancin'.