Gretsch White Penguin

P-co

Reaction score
Got my eye's on a Gretsch White Penguin. Don't have the skills to justify it but always good to grow into something beautiful. I like the asthetics of the whole Jet range.
Anyone got any feedback on these puppies to sway me one way or another?
Ross

Are you talking new or vintage?

Personally speaking, I've played on a vintage something over ten years ago (before the Gretsch brand was revived) and found it rather like driving a bus. It was really lovely to look at, but I didn't dig the feel of it as a player. I don't know about the more recent versions, but I really think the whole White Falcon/Penguin thing is a serious case of style over substance.

And I say this as a guy who has a 1967 Country Gentleman that has one of the nicest necks and the most insanely powerful pickups I've ever experienced. Your 2k could likely get you a pretty decent vintage Gretsch from the better days. (the company was sold to Baldwin in 1967 and quality starts to significantly lag from that point onward)

The Harmony Central reviews are generally pretty good, but those are always to be taken with a very large grain of salt from guys who like to brag about how much cash they spent on their gear.

Got my eye's on a Gretsch White Penguin. Don't have the skills to justify it but always good to grow into something beautiful. I like the asthetics of the whole Jet range.
Anyone got any feedback on these puppies to sway me one way or another?
Ross

These things weight a ton. I used to play a EE Gretsch was a log, the scale is interesting if you are not used to it. You can beat off a mugger with it and it will stay in tune. There are mods to make it a locker if you want on head if you want to wang on the bar to much. The cheaper Jets with the high end pickups are just as good and significantly cheaper.

A reissue White penguin goes realistically for 2.5K in 9+ condition, I have never seen a original trade hands in public so who knows.

Thanks for that, that's the kind of feedback I need. It is certainly the style rather than the substance that drew me to the model in the first place as my technical knowledge is very limited.
I might trawl the vintage offerings , I am always more fearful with these in case I pick up a dog that an expert would just laugh at.

Thanks for that, that's the kind of feedback I need. It is certainly the style rather than the substance that drew me to the model in the first place as my technical knowledge is very limited.
I might trawl the vintage offerings , I am always more fearful with these in case I pick up a dog that an expert would just laugh at.

Hope you have the cash, and a lucky streak. Play a high end jet or country squire with the big pickups and see if you like it.

I would guess hazard a guess they would run 10K+ if you could even find one in decent condition.

The Country Gents would be in your league. I think my '67 goes for only about 2k these days. But the Jets would be worth a look..

Well, if you're looking for a posse of folks to talk you into it, steer your browser to www.gretsch-talk.com and they will happily drive that needle deeply into your arm. Much like the UU community, they are a fun group and have lots of useful info to offer.

I finally gave in to trying six strings for a change a few months back, and picked up a G5122 Electromatic in walnut flavour. While some consider the Electromatic series a 'gateway' Gretsch, I'm really enjoying learning on it so far and expect it will be a while before I'm skilled enough to fully appreciate what something like the WP has to offer. I just ordered a Peavy Delta Blues amp the other day (waiting on the big brown truck again), so I've got to let the card cool off a while before allowing my UAS and/or GAS to kick in again :)

Anyways, since I can't afford one, you had better get it, then I can channel through you -- have fun!

you know, for about half the price of a white penguin, you can get:
epiphone custom les paul in alpine white
gold grover locking tuners
gold pick guard
gold bigsby tremolo
gold epiphone tune o matic bridge
gold speed knobs
neck and bridge gibson humbucker pickups with gold covers

put it all together and you have an even better looking guitar with all the bling you can ask for, but sound better (matter of taste), play better, and be one-of-a-kind.

On my list of guitars I'd buy if price was no object, the White Penguin is at worst in the top 3; at best it's number one. I absolutely love the guitar in looks, playability, and sound, but unless someone is making money off of it or rich beyond concern, I just don't see how anyone can justify buying one.

By the way, here's another Gretsch that is also on that list: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/fc48959756e0ec96b6c9584daaeef0d8.jpg

Top Bottom