Favorite Kala Solid Body (Soprano)

luvdat

Reaction score
What's your favorite Kala Solid Body for a soprano and why.

Is the Solid Body Mahogany that much of an upgrade, in your opinion, from something like the 15-S...or in sopranos are there better options, even outside of Kala in that same priice range (up to $350 retail)?

Thanks everybody for your assistance.

I know comparing tonewoods is apples and oranges, but I think which one gets "pulled off" better is my underlying question.

I bought the Kala KA-S as my entry level uke and love it. I love that it has a wider body than my Lanikai LU-12. It cradles itself real good in your lap with it's wider body for easy playing. I haven't heard a good sound bite for the KA-15S, the one MGM has posted has a bound body, unless MGM means that the 15S and the KA-S sound the same (not realy sure that's a KA-S in the sound bite since it has a glossy body but MGM wouldn't mislead us!). The binding of the Kala KA-S provides more protection against minor bumps on the corners.
Ernest

Picture115.jpg

Thanks Big e, for the response. I have the 15-S and think it's great.

I may go for the Lacewood in the soprano or concert...

The KALA Acacia are nice, but one of my favorite KALA (since they refuse to make a solid top pineapple) is their solid Spruce top (Mahogany laminate sides & back) travel 'ukulele, amazing sound from such a thin body, and quality build.

Well, I went for the Acacia in the soprano. Just finished placing my order.

Played the travel soprano today and you are right. Nice also.

Ahno Honu, do you think the traveler sounds better than the acacia soprano?

The KALA Acacia are nice, but one of my favorite KALA (since they refuse to make a solid top pineapple) is their solid Spruce top (Mahogany laminate sides & back) travel 'ukulele, amazing sound from such a thin body, and quality build.

Do think the traveler sounds better than the acacia to your ears?

I got the Kala KA-SMHS solid mahogany for Christmas and as a next step up from my Mahalo £15 basic model. I chose it over a similar priced Ohana as the Kala had a depth of tone that I felt the Ohana did not have. However the tone is not as 'sparkly' as the Ohana. It also felt better in my long spindly fingers ;)

They both had Aquila strings too.

Ace-T :)

Ahno Honu, do you think the traveler sounds better than the acacia soprano?

I wouldn't say "better" sound being very subjective but to me it sounded just as nice and I like the novelty of the thin light weight body. You will not be disappointed with either choice. A couple days ago I was in a 'ukulele shop and he had in a limited production Kala SOLID Koa wood soprano and this 'ukulele was really outstandingly nice both on looks and sound especially for the money ($399). I'm lusting after this one, and it ain't even a pineapple.

Top Bottom