PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Kala Solid Body (Soprano)

luvdat
12-26-2009, 06:45 PM
What's your favorite Kala Solid Body for a soprano and why.

Is the Solid Body Mahogany that much of an upgrade, in your opinion, from something like the 15-S...or in sopranos are there better options, even outside of Kala in that same priice range (up to $350 retail)?

Thanks everybody for your assistance.

I know comparing tonewoods is apples and oranges, but I think which one gets "pulled off" better is my underlying question.

Big_e
12-27-2009, 07:44 AM
I bought the Kala KA-S as my entry level uke and love it. I love that it has a wider body than my Lanikai LU-12. It cradles itself real good in your lap with it's wider body for easy playing. I haven't heard a good sound bite for the KA-15S, the one MGM has posted has a bound body, unless MGM means that the 15S and the KA-S sound the same (not realy sure that's a KA-S in the sound bite since it has a glossy body but MGM wouldn't mislead us!). The binding of the Kala KA-S provides more protection against minor bumps on the corners.
Ernest

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/Gordo_Ruckus/Foo/Picture115.jpg

luvdat
12-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks Big e, for the response. I have the 15-S and think it's great.

I may go for the Lacewood in the soprano or concert...

Ahnko Honu
12-28-2009, 08:41 AM
The KALA Acacia are nice, but one of my favorite KALA (since they refuse to make a solid top pineapple) is their solid Spruce top (Mahogany laminate sides & back) travel 'ukulele, amazing sound from such a thin body, and quality build.

luvdat
12-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Well, I went for the Acacia in the soprano. Just finished placing my order.

Played the travel soprano today and you are right. Nice also.

luvdat
12-31-2009, 06:06 AM
Ahno Honu, do you think the traveler sounds better than the acacia soprano?

luvdat
12-31-2009, 06:07 AM
The KALA Acacia are nice, but one of my favorite KALA (since they refuse to make a solid top pineapple) is their solid Spruce top (Mahogany laminate sides & back) travel 'ukulele, amazing sound from such a thin body, and quality build.

Do think the traveler sounds better than the acacia to your ears?

Ace-T
12-31-2009, 06:39 AM
I got the Kala KA-SMHS solid mahogany for Christmas and as a next step up from my Mahalo 15 basic model. I chose it over a similar priced Ohana as the Kala had a depth of tone that I felt the Ohana did not have. However the tone is not as 'sparkly' as the Ohana. It also felt better in my long spindly fingers ;)

They both had Aquila strings too.

Ace-T :)

Ahnko Honu
01-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Ahno Honu, do you think the traveler sounds better than the acacia soprano?

I wouldn't say "better" sound being very subjective but to me it sounded just as nice and I like the novelty of the thin light weight body. You will not be disappointed with either choice. A couple days ago I was in a 'ukulele shop and he had in a limited production Kala SOLID Koa wood soprano and this 'ukulele was really outstandingly nice both on looks and sound especially for the money ($399). I'm lusting after this one, and it ain't even a pineapple.

Ukulele Jim
01-02-2010, 07:59 AM
I thought the Kala travel ukes sound great, but those heavy metal tuners they use really make the headstock topheavy, which puts the whole instrument out of balance.