Decent Ukulele?

KalaPineapple

Reaction score
I'm looking for a uke that I can have that is for "just around the house" as in just to mess with or have a friend jam out on it while I jam on my higher quality Kala. I'm not familiar with the brand Leolani so I was going to ask for opinions. The designs on these ukes are great but I don't want to sacrifice quality for better looks. I understand what the quality will be if it is priced $15 but what I am asking is the quality acceptable for $15?

Here they are:
Leolani 21" Ukulele Black W/hawaii Honu (B53)
Leolani 21" Natural Diamond Head Ukulele (B05)
Leolani 18" Jr. Spruce Hawaii Diamond Head (A31)
Leolani 18" Black Hawaii Compass Map Jr. Ukulele (A35)
Leolani A32 18" Spruce Hawaiian Islands

A big thank you for helping me out!
:drool:KP

In my opinion these ukes are probably a waste of money. They are undoubtedly made from very cheap plywood and will have no tone, particularly with the low quality strings they usually come with. There is a serious risk that they will never play in tune because the bridge is often not carefully positioned. You may be lucky and get one that plays perfectly, but you also may not.

Whichever Kala you have, it is likely to sound a lot better. In my opinion you would be better paying a little more and getting one of the many decent laminate Kalas or a laminate Ohana like the SK-10S.

Dude I bought one of those out of curiosity... I thought it looked kinda groovy. First, it looked much better in the picture than in real life. The tuners are pure crap, and its impossible to tune correctly. The strings are worse, even with good strings, it sounds terrible. If your intention is to have something for someone else to jam on, there is no jamming to be done on any of those.

I suppose I should probably say one positive thing about it... it makes a nice birdhouse.

Goto Musicguymic eBay store and order the cheapest uke there (probably the Makala Dolphin).

They're probably the best cheap uke, and are perfect for the purpose you mentioned :)

They cost more than $15... but you wouldn't be wasting any money!

Yes

Goto Musicguymic eBay store and order the cheapest uke there (probably the Makala Dolphin).

They're probably the best cheap uke, and are perfect for the purpose you mentioned :)

They cost more than $15... but you wouldn't be wasting any money!

As the new owner of 4 Dolphins in many decorator colors (my kids each have one, along with my pink) I'd concur. I bought a Mahalo this week at a local shop, and I had to work on it, change strings, to get it close to these dolphins. Under $50 to my door here in Portland, Oregon. You will love this uke.

Top Bottom