Stuck on two choices for my first ukulele

Fitzy

Reaction score
Hey guys, longtime guitar and bass player here who just caught the ukulele bug. Hoping you can help steer me in the right direction on my first concert uke purchase. My budget is in the $280 range, and so far, I've narrowed my search down to two choices:

1. Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert w/case & shipping (from Mainland): $271.95

2. Kala Solid Acacia concert w/case & shipping (from MGM): $259.95

Any thoughts, advice or practical experience on either of these instruments?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You'll have to toss a coin as they are both great choices. Sound wise the Mahogany as a rule is a tad more mellow than the Acacia which sounds very close to Koa which is also a type of Acacia.

Hey guys, longtime guitar and bass player here who just caught the ukulele bug. Hoping you can help steer me in the right direction on my first concert uke purchase. My budget is in the $280 range, and so far, I've narrowed my search down to two choices:

1. Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert w/case & shipping (from Mainland): $271.95

2. Kala Solid Acacia concert w/case & shipping (from MGM): $259.95

Any thoughts, advice or practical experience on either of these instruments?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fitzy,

If you decide to go with the Kala concert, I am going to list mine tomorrow on the forum. I took photos today. It was new on Oct. 13th, mint. I just bought a new Koaloha concert and need to thin out my herd. $210 shipped with case and humidifier. PM me if your interested.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice and words of wisdom, guys. I guess it looks like I'm going to have to make a decision based on what appeals to me visually, because, as you say, they are both excellent ukes.
And thanks to you, DKcrown, for the offer. I'll take it into consideration, but I think I may be leaning towards the Mainland. Still, I will make it a point to look for the photos of your Kala after you post them. DKcrown, a quick question: are there any annual ukulele festivals held anywhere in Massachusetts?

Just got the Kala Acacia Concert myself (from MGM). Have been playing it for 2 days. It's got a lovely, crisp tone. I'm not a very experienced player (but have played guitar for 19 years), and have only played a few ukes: mainly a Makala Dolphin and a Brunswick Soprano.

The Kala is MUCH brighter than the Dolphin, and has a less "boxy" sound than the Brunswick (which I must confess, I miss a bit - I think that's just the difference between Soprano and Concert). It's definitely better at delicate and/or percussive than warm, resonant. Which suits my playing well.

Intonation is great. It has a funny bit on the neck which is misformed at the binding, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on play or sound.

Visually, it's a really lovely instrument: wood grain, purfling, headstock, fret inlays, it's all really well presented.

I think Mainlands are presented a bit more simply, so if that matters, you might go with your preference there.

I'll probably post a more detailed review in a few days, but I hope that helps.

I've read several good things about the Acacias. However, with that being said, anyone that knows me here, knows that I am a Mainland "fanboy".

When I got my first Mainland, the Honeybee, I felt like my playing improved overnight. It has such a beautiful sound and it is so easy to play, I cant say enough about them. The rope binding is beautiful in person and they really start to open up after months of playing. I still notice my Mahog Slotted Head opening up every day. It's a cool thing to listen to an instrument develop, as your playing develops. And that's all I'm gonna say.

The Kalas are nice, and if I had the money I would probably get one of the tenors. I LOVE my Mainlands though and I think I speak for the masses on that. Just go with your gut, you wont be disappointed. If you don't get a Mainland now, you'll get one in the future...it's inevitable :cool:

Good luck

Thanks for the advice and words of wisdom, guys. I guess it looks like I'm going to have to make a decision based on what appeals to me visually, because, as you say, they are both excellent ukes.
And thanks to you, DKcrown, for the offer. I'll take it into consideration, but I think I may be leaning towards the Mainland. Still, I will make it a point to look for the photos of your Kala after you post them. DKcrown, a quick question: are there any annual ukulele festivals held anywhere in Massachusetts?

Fitzy, I don't know of any kind of uke festivals in MA. Where in MA are you? Want to start one? :D I'm sure it would be well attended.

Fitzy, I don't know of any kind of uke festivals in MA. Where in MA are you? Want to start one? :D I'm sure it would be well attended.

dk, I'm in Hopedale, a small mill town in Worcester County. You're in Orleans, correct? I do a lot of freshwater fishing down the Cape, but mostly around the Barnstable/ Mashpee area. Maybe we should start a Mass Uke Fest :) I'm sure we have enough Mass members here to attract a good gathering.

Top Bottom