Shaping Fingerboard Ends

Timbuck

Reaction score
I wondered how others go about shaping the ends of fretboards..I clamp them in this simple jig set-up ...and glide around with the router.
PICT5780.jpg

And here's a batch I did this morning.
PICT5783.jpg

One question, do you taper the fretboards before slotting?

Sven
Hi Sven..Seasons greetings...Yes! I taper before slotting..the setup I have can slot the fingerboard with, or without, the neck attached.. it can also slot straight into the neck without a fretboard...I've a pic of it somewhere.
A ha! here it is...I made it out of a scrap bandsaw table..and an old B&D drill as a motor to drive the kerf saw blade.
PICT1700.jpg

This is the indexing bit
PICT1707.jpg

And the underside already attached to the neck.
PICT1703.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I remember, I've seen your setup once on the cosmos. Really smooth, and you shouldn't listen to the crazy people that want you to sell kit ukes. You should listen to me and sell me a kit workshop! With your jigs and machinery, I could do an extreme build in what, 2 hours?

Yes, seasons greetings an' all. Any chance of you going to Hollesley 2010?

Sven

Timbuck, your way looks like it works great for you. I use a spindle sanding bit in a drill press sanding station. Of course the fingerboard is in a jig to make sure the fingerboard doesn't shoot across the room!:D

Timbuck,

Do you build with a dovetailed neck?

thanks in advance,

George
Yes ..It's the main reason that started me building ukes..I wanted a "Martin" but I couldn't afford one..I like something to get my teeth into, so I thought "I'll make myself a copy of one" (c/w Dovetail neck joint and all the other features) I purchased the "Scott Antes" drawing of the Style 1..and went from there..I was a Toolmaker by trade and I was used to working with metals and plastics and such, so working with wood was new to me.
My first uke wasn't too bad and I still play it it can be found here http://www.ukulelecosmos.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6839 but I thought I could do better, and that was 2 years ago..and I'm still endeavouring to make one that i'm completely happy with from start to finish.

Last edited:
Aren't we all trying to get it right? I'm working on a style 1 signature mahogany at the moment. It's been grain filled and I'm really please with results so far - nice classic chestnut brown!

Top Bottom