Pictures of your home-made ukes

Not a CBU, but a TTU (table top uke)

tabletopuke.jpg

Soprano size, steel strings, old 1960s Framus pickup - sound like this.

I have some on my page

I have some photo's on my page here in the UU. Haven't updated in a while, might add some more tonight.

The sound holes on the "Blond and Brunette" CBU's look interesting. How well do those work?

I think they work pretty well...I think its more about the depth of the boxes than the soundholes in the case of these two. The blond is larger and deeper, and consequently louder...duh:) Old school appalachian instruments had several nickel sized holes for sound...I just scaled it down a bit to try it out. They sound really well...you can hear it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_T19WDsTds

Not a CBU, but a TTU (table top uke)

tabletopuke.jpg

Soprano size, steel strings, old 1960s Framus pickup - sound like this.

Wow, that does sound awesome!
I just wish I had the technical knowledge required to build and electric ukulele.
Almost finished on my CBU. I'll stick up a picture tomorrow

One of my early builds...in Maple and Rosewood & ebony...Click on pic for slideshow.

Strange thing is it don't get played a lot co's I don't like banjo uke's..I put a lot of work into making it..but it's too loud for me..I prefer the mellow wooden Soprano sound.

Strange thing is it don't get played a lot co's I don't like banjo uke's..I put a lot of work into making it..but it's too loud for me..I prefer the mellow wooden Soprano sound.

I was happy to see one of your sweet little sopranos show up in the US used market last night on FleaMarketMarketplace. That doesn't happen often. It was very late when I saw it and it sold within a few hours. The ad seemed a bit odd because they guy apparently only had it 10 days since buying it off of eBay. I had to sit on my hands to keep from buying it. $435(US) with a nice case was the asking price.

Last edited:

take the resonator off and keep the open back against your belly a bit to dampen...that thing would rock as open back clawhammer

I love the design on that CBU, how is it applied and how did you get the lovely subtle sunray effect?

Here are a few of mine -
IMGP2400.jpg

On the left is a tough knockabout one I made from 1.5mm aircraft ply for when I go camping in my '69 Citroen H van, centre stage in a solid bodied concert with under-saddle piezo pickup, built-in pre-amp, EQ, 2w amplifier (with overdrive) and minature hi-fi speaker. Last (and least) is a super budget Banjo Uke made by bolting the neck of a Chinese cheapy to a hand drum.

There are another four unusual ones, and a conventional Cherry Concert, in various stages of build at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom