Conversation about amplified sound

Kekani

Reaction score
I know this will span the spectrum, and it should. When it comes to amplified sound, what is your preference, and what do you use successfully (which may be different from your preference), and why (for those that are comparing)?

Here's a start: LR Baggs Element UST, Canare GS-6 Cables with G&H connectors/ or George L's, Soundcraft Gigrac 1000 through JBL JRX 115.

The UST and Canare Cables (custom made) are what I use (prefer the Canare/G&H on stage rather than the fragile George L's) and will continue to. I can't tell the difference in cables, but one of my friends can. He put the Canare next to a Planet Waves, and prefers my cable (so I made one for him). I've been an LR Baggs fan for a while, because of the natural sound, and the great staff (they took some of our feedback, and make an `ukulele spec pickup now).

I like the Gigrac, but since everyone's my friend (because I can run some sound), something with more channels may be better.

The JBL's suit from a cost standpoint, but they are heavy. From a put the kids on stage to perform, I'd change to lighter speakers, but the Gigrac is TOO easy to setup.

-Aaron

I've got:
Fishman Matrix Infinity
Hosa Right Angle Cable
Line 6 PodXT Live and/or Line 6 M13
Roland AC60

I use the Matrix Infinity, just because I know Aldrine and Jake use the Matrix II and all the store had was the Infinity, so I just went with that, and it had a badass name...bad reasons, I know. But the guys at Dans guitar said that the Fishman and LR Baggs were both pretty much the same thing, so I went with the one with the cooler name and heritage. And I am having them put into my KoAlohas since Kaneohe_til_the_end who is doing them told me they were easier. And I think they're alright, so I use em.

I have played through that fancy shmancy Analysis Plus cable that Aldrine has, and yes, there is a slight difference, but for me, I'd rather spend my money on something other than cables. So Hosa right angle cables work fine.

As for effects, I usually don't use them, but the Line 6 modelers are great when I do. Worth every penny.

I love my AC60. Mine has a slight hum on the mic channel now, that I can't figure out, but it still sounds good. I used to be playing through a Roland Cube 30, but heard that acoustic amplifiers were better for the ukulele, and indeed it was. I love the AC60, and bought it because it sounded really good in MGM's videos. Plus it's a Roland and their stuff is basically bulletproof. Lightweight and portable in the included bag at just around 20lb. And more than enough power for me.

I wasn't into amplifying 'ukuleles but two purchases of used 'ukuleles during the year which came with pickups motivated me to purchase an inexpensive amp which I have been very satisfied with. I bought on eBay a battery (1- 9 volt) powered Danelectro Honeytone amp which I also purchased a AC adapter for when playing at home. Surprised at the volume and clarity this little amp produces. I purchased a Horizon amp cable locally (Coconut Grove Music) and I'm happy with this setup though I play 95% of the time unplugged. :)

I use:

Shadow passive undersaddle pickup with retrofit on-board passive volume and tone controls.

Preamp is Fishman ProEQ II outboard

Alternatively, I play into a Shure PG81 small diaphragm condenser mic.

My amp is a Marshall AS50D acoustic combo.

For recording and PA for a small group (acoustic session etc) I use an Alesis Multimix 8 mixer.

For amplified acoustic sessions in the local pub I use the mixer with the Marshall combo as a PA. For larger, but still smallish, gigs I'd add a single powered PA speaker.

I have no brand preference for cables. any good quality, well shielded cables with robust connectors are fine.

Jumping flea,

Go down to Nico's Pier 38 on Wednesday between 1100 and 2 pm - my friend Ramon is playing there. He'll have a LRBaggs equipped Tenor, through the same Gigrac I have, but he'll be running either Bose 402's or powered Mackies. Ledward usually shows up to play with him, as well as a host of other local musicians.

I'd love to, but I'd have to be in Hawaii to experience that. Haha, I am a mainlander from the Seattle area.

Currently I have a MISI with Baggs and am really unsure about it. I feel it has a natural sound being picked with good balance and clarity, but as soon as I begin to attack the strings as I play I hear faint overtones and slight distortion. I got a Fender Gold Acoustic cable for Christmas this year and I notice some of that disappear with that cable. For when I play I use a Roland Cube Street, but it is definitely not a *great* amp. I also have a Toneport UX2 that allows me to play into my computer and on either platform I have these troubles.

eek.. such complexity..

I just stick to ukes with active pickups (Shadow Nanoflex and Bugsgear eleuke... oh yes and the Mahalo).

Have a Roland Microcube and a Fender Mini Tone Master for amps :)
I also like to carry an "Amp u plug n play" with the Eleuke.

Jumping flea,

Go down to Nico's Pier 38 on Wednesday between 1100 and 2 pm - my friend Ramon is playing there. He'll have a LRBaggs equipped Tenor, through the same Gigrac I have, but he'll be running either Bose 402's or powered Mackies. Ledward usually shows up to play with him, as well as a host of other local musicians.

off topic, but the ahi belly over there is MEEEEEAN!!!

Get a fishman P/U. well worth the extra money:)

I do love LR Baggs pickups. In several ukes, I have factory UK2000 pickups which are inexpensive and actually do a good job through my Acoustic AG60 amp. I also have played lots of Nano-Flex factory installations and had pretty nice results. On any pickup enabled uke the attack can be heard clearly, even though the way I play it is much less audible than most players. When mic'd I use a CAD M-177 most of the time.

I'd love to, but I'd have to be in Hawaii to experience that. Haha, I am a mainlander from the Seattle area.

Currently I have a MISI with Baggs and am really unsure about it. I feel it has a natural sound being picked with good balance and clarity, but as soon as I begin to attack the strings as I play I hear faint overtones and slight distortion. I got a Fender Gold Acoustic cable for Christmas this year and I notice some of that disappear with that cable. For when I play I use a Roland Cube Street, but it is definitely not a *great* amp. I also have a Toneport UX2 that allows me to play into my computer and on either platform I have these troubles.

Are your conversations with the KoAloha crew over the phone? Anyway, like Dustin said, the fish (not just the Ahi Belly) is really good.

When you say MiSi with Baggs, you are talking about the MiSi period, right? I know they use the Baggs UST, but add in their own preamp. Oddly enough, the MiSi installed instruments that I've heard sound entirely different from an LR Baggs Element, more Fishman(ish) if that's a word (preamp makes the difference here). If you really attack the strings, you may want to try a D-TAR. Pricey, but I saw Rick BANG away at NAMM the other year, and it didn't even blink (so to speak).

UPDATE on Ramon - he came over today to pick up his Bose 402. I showed him how to hook it up to the (obsolete) Bose EQ, and it makes a BIG difference. Unfortunately, its not compatible with the Gigrac (but can be wired if there's two Gigracs, which we did). He then did a side by side with my JBL's. Suffice to say, anyone going to Nico's tomorrow won't see any Bose 402's, it'll be JBL's instead (which he has his own pair, collecting dust).

For recording and PA for a small group (acoustic session etc) I use an Alesis Multimix 8 mixer.

How are the Alesis Mixers?

Last edited:
I have a lanikai with a shadow built in.

I used to have a behringer 4 ch keyboard amp i could get a real nice sound out of that.

If you use a DI box A uke sounds great right out of the PA.

I think if u keep your sound real simple you get better results.

I am actually enjoying all this tech talk. I had a mele with a fishman p/u that i never used. Now I want to get another amplified uke to play with the BOJCMM band.

I think if u keep your sound real simple you get better results.

I agree with this, and go by the thought process of "its better to cut, than boost". I've been noticing that the handful of soundguys I've watched, more of them boost the lower frequencies, on everything, than notch. This causes muddiness and boominess at frequencies acoustic instruments and vocals don't hit. I'm no expert, but I know what I hear.

Update on Bose 402 Series 1 speakers (which are too light to ignore when gigging). Long story short, you need the (obsolete) 402E equalizer to provide more dimension, otherwise it sounds shallow. The JBL's are WAY better. The Bose, without the EQ, makes the `ukulele very mid heavy, almost twangy, and cheapy(even with a UST). Cutting the mid (on the channel), and boosting the bass on the main output (not the channel) helps to bring it close to the JBL's, but it sounds "fake" for lack of a better term. This situation is worse with a SBT (in a Martin).

Anyone out there using the Bose L1 or L2? I've seen and heard them, but haven't played with them.

Just sharing - Aaron

I use all types of pickups, mainly piezoelectric. All of them take some tweaking of the amp/mixer knobs. A large diaphram condensor mic will give the best and most accurate sound reproduction. I really like the combo of an MXL990 mic with a Carvin S400D P.A.. Here's a few threads pertaining to this topic:

http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?8560-Electrify-your-uke-for-under-10-bucks

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?10053-Playing-with-a-mic-through-an-Amp

My Kala Archtop has a Shadow® JW2 active Nanoflex pickup, and my Stagg soprano a UK2000. Both do a good job through my Laney Prism P20 amp.

The Laney P20 has about a zillion settings, most of which sound great with an electric guitar plugged in, but the two acoustic settings are terrific for my two ukes and my electric-acoustic guitar, as it can run super clean or with some nice sounding reverb or delay, and the chorus settings are pretty decent too. I like the four memory buttons, where I can save the settings I like for each instrument.

I run a lead out from the record out on the Laney into Garage Band on my Mac, but I don't have much experience with the finer details of recording stuff......

Top Bottom