out of tune uke: do I need new strings or a new uke?

ukeclariece

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the ukulele and bought a Makala MK-S a few months ago. The more I play, the more I find myself having to re-tune during playing sessions. Is this an issue that will eventually go away, or could it be solved by buying higher quality strings? (I'm not sure what kind of strings it has on it now, whatever it came from the factory with). Or is this an issue of the quality of the uke itself? Will I need to purchase a more expensive instrument to alleviate the problem?

better strings would certainly help, but you might consider tightening the screws on the tuners just a bit. They don't need to be super tight, but tight enough that they don't slip. Also, a major change in temperature could be the bandit. hope this helps

Your strings have done the primary stretching and have gone past that to "worn out". Try new strings. Usually the strings that come on many ukes are not very good. I know I had black GHS strings that came on a couple of my ukes, and they were really not very good for those ukes. Try some Aquila strings or Worth strings, and I bet that will help.

I find when strings get too old, the uke just doesn't sound good anymore. The strings sound dead and out-of-tune. And who knows how long those strings were sitting around before you got the uke?

You will be surprised how much difference a new set of strings will make.

–Lori

better strings would certainly help, but you might consider tightening the screws on the tuners just a bit. They don't need to be super tight, but tight enough that they don't slip. Also, a major change in temperature could be the bandit. hope this helps
I think the Makala MK-S has geared tuners.
Only tighten the screws if you have friction tuners.
–Lori

I'm also not sure how you know his strings are "worn out"?

geared tuners should not need tightening - basic Makala - not sure on supplied strings - but give us a clue - if they are black, we can agree they are NOT Aquilas

Try some Aquilas - I systematically put them on all my cheap ukes, and "going out of tune" stops being a problem once stretched and worn in.

On my new Flea I knew several of the friction tuners needed to be tightened when I put the new Aquilas on and I would try to tune it. As soon as I got a string where it should be, I could hear the tone change back a step and actually see the tuning peg turn back a smidgen. A few snugs with a screwdriver pretty much cured that. My Aquilas have now been on a few days and are still adjusting, but are much better than the first day. I keep my tuner handy.

with a cheap uke that hasnt been properly set up, if they are the glossy type GHS strings - not enough turns on the peg post could also mean the strings slip a little - possible other reason, that again would be resolved with a string change. I find Aquilas "bite" better at the peg end.

You always need a new Uke!!!!!

I have a couple of the Kala versions of that Uke and I find that even my body heat from holding it next to me when playing will change the tuning a little.

Try the Aquilla strings(white) I know the GHS (black) strings that came on mine wouldn't hold tuning very well.

Top Bottom