Another Ukulele Extravaganza:)

haolejohn

Reaction score
Well we had another uketogether at the local Bucks. UkeRepublic showed up with a bunch of ukuleles, Dbeall drove over an hour and so did SusieA, badbox29 played with ukulele players for the first time, and I finished my next to last class on time so that ukulele playing would be uninterrupted:)

First must comment on the beginning. Ukulele Players have ADD. I went to get a coffee press and I heard a bucks employee comment on the pleasent sound of the ukulele but wished there was some variety (we were all playing same chord progressions on each new uke). After getting my coffee i got each personb organized and we played some Hank, Dylan, Buffett, Marshall Tucker Band, Jack Johnson, Iz, Matt Redman, and Waterdeep. It was great fun.

The new Ponos are phenomanal and the Honus have somne of the prettiest koa available. I must also say that I really liked the new Riptides and that maple back ohana was stunning.

I got approval for a biweekly meeting at the Bucks and hopefully we can get an open mike up and running again. Jam sessions are fun online, but more fun in person. here are some pics of our uketogether. If you want to know about any of the ukes that we played ask and I'll give you my first impressions of each ukulele.

Here is a link to pictures http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=698

sounds like a really fun time, the pictures are great, and you weren't kidding about the honu, it's lovely!

Lots of pretty ukes there. Good thing I was safely 3000 miles away. What kind of strings come on the Maple Ponos? How did it sound compared to Koa or Mahogany.
–Lori

The ohana maple had aquilas and the pono had koolau golds. Both had the spruce top. I preferred the sound of mahaghany and koa over spruce any day and i don't think I'd own a maple uke b/c I prefer darker woods. They still sounded good though. The pono mahaghany b/s and spruce top that I played at our last get together didn't play as well as the maple spruce b/c the new ponos are noticeably better than previous ones. The honu tenor sounded very nice. I wished that I had brought my mele koa to compare it to but I had just changed the strings (ko'olau golds which made it sound better than the aquilas had on it) and I didn't feel like hassling with constant tuning. The only disadvantage of meeting at bucks is that it was noisy tonight with many people coming in. So in essence the spruce maple had a different sound than the mahaghany spruce but not much different. The koa honu tenor sounded better to me.

It looks like a good time was had by all. Do I find out about these things in advance by checking the SEUker Community board?

PM me your number and I'll call you the next time we meet. I should have called but I thought it was just going to be me, dbeall, and ukerepublic. Dbeall posted on FB so SusieA came and then badbox29 (Chris) had sent me a message about next meet up. He got the message at 430 so I was surprised he showed up (glad he did). Also startinfg in January, we are going to have either weekly or biweekly uketogethers at the starbucks in Hiram for those of us in the Paulding/Douglas/S. Cobb/Carrol county area.

The regular meetings at a set time and place sound good. It makes it less complicated to remember/schedule/attend etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom