Looking forward to seeing this soon. Need to bring my emergency survival pack (water, nitro pills, heat wrap, etc.) for the 2 hours 40 minutes.

I saw it in IMAX 3D and I really liked it. The visualizations were stunning. Too bad they didn't have any Ukes in the movie...would've been perfect. Lol.

I only saw it in 2D too. But I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was going to be unbearably stupid.

I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was going to be unbearably stupid.

...but it turned out that you were actually able to bear the stupidity after all? :p

From what I gather, it's similar to Cameron's last movie, Titanic. Really long. Goofy dialog. Hamfisted plot. But still kinda bad-ass and enjoyable all the same. I plan on seeing it, but not for another week or so when the crowds have thinned out a bit. And yeah, I'm definitely doing it in 3D.

JJ

...but it turned out that you were actually able to bear the stupidity after all? :p

From what I gather, it's similar to Cameron's last movie, Titanic. Really long. Goofy dialog. Hamfisted plot. But still kinda bad-ass and enjoyable all the same. I plan on seeing it, but not for another week or so when the crowds have thinned out a bit. And yeah, I'm definitely doing it in 3D.

JJ

Its not that bad, lol. There are alot of things borrowed from his movie Aliens though (the wacky marines, similar dialog, similar technology, the motion detectors, the company rep - similar to Burk, etc.). It felt more like Dances With Wolves in space to me.

LOVED it in 3D. What an awesome experience.
As far as the story goes.. definitely a futuristic take on American history and on what we are doing to the world.
It's something that movie elitists and more critical people can pick apart and hate. But normal folk will absolutely love it.

It's something that movie elitists and more critical people can pick apart and hate. But normal folk will absolutely love it.
Are you saying I'm not normal? :D
Yeah, it was OK as an action film, but I just couldn't get over the bad science fiction. I mean, how come no one is studying those floating mountains? They spent a lot of money to get to the planet and then ignore one of the most interesting aspects of it.

Are you saying I'm not normal? :D
Yeah, it was OK as an action film, but I just couldn't get over the bad science fiction. I mean, how come no one is studying those floating mountains? They spent a lot of money to get to the planet and then ignore one of the most interesting aspects of it.

I think they were just there for that 20 million dollar an ounce element. Besides they pissed off all the natives and it would have cost them too much to defend the people studying the mountains. My guess anyways.

saw it in 3d imax it was awesome story line is kinda lame but the effects are ballin. Its kinda like fern gully meets Pocahontas in space. He made the animated effects look real and the real stuff look fake it was that good

I think that is a boxoffice winner. 3d Movies generated over $1 billion at cinema box offices worldwide 2009. I was pretty hyped for it, before seeing the trailer. I still am, but from what I can tell, visually, it's not the life changing film it's been described as. The Na'vi don't look as impressive as I had hoped, but otherwise I like the atmosphere of the trailer, helped by the music/drone, and it's still near the top of my most anticipated films. I trust James Cameron to make it a good film and I can't wait to hear James Horner's score for it.

I'm going to wait to rent the dvd. I'm PO-ed at James Cameron for buying the rights to Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita) and then sitting on them for almost 10 years now. I think he did that so he wouldn't get sued for Dark Angel which seemed to have a lot of influences. Meanwhile, us Gunnm fans are just waiting.. waiting..

My bad. Yeah, wait for the DVD in that case. The movie itself is only ho-hum, IMHO.

JJ

No worries - it's not like I tell everyone I only see in 2D. :)

My worry with 3D-to-2D movies is that they usually spend too much making things jump out of the screen and effects, that when it's converted to 2D it looks awkward. And also that the plot gets sacrificed. But I heard different opinions of Avatar's plot, so I will see it eventually. Still mad at James Cameron though. lol But, I did find an article from a few years ago that said he was waiting on a 'new 3d technology' he was coming up with before doing Battle Angel. So I guess he should be doing that movie soon - I hope, I hope.

Top Bottom