PDA

View Full Version : How many people have you gotten to play the uke?!

jaggtmolina
05-04-2008, 09:14 PM
i've influenced atleast 5.

KoloheBoy
05-04-2008, 09:16 PM
i've influenced atleast 5.

3. it feels good to teach people something great that you know. especially when you're better! haha:D

jaggtmolina
05-04-2008, 09:20 PM
3. it feels good to teach people something great that you know. especially when you're better! haha:D

lol. ya, i like passing on the love of ukes. :)

KoloheBoy
05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
haha. yupp... :D

Keonikapila
05-04-2008, 09:24 PM
2 that I know of...I know I got a lot of people interested and curious when I was in the Air Force, but I dunno how many of them ever picked up a uke after I left...I did however turn at least 15 people on to SPAM! haha

jaggtmolina
05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
2 that I know of...I know I got a lot of people interested and curious when I was in the Air Force, but I dunno how many of them ever picked up a uke after I left...I did however turn at least 15 people on to SPAM! haha

lol spam! ahahahaha. that's wsup. i love the stuff. :)

KoloheBoy
05-04-2008, 09:31 PM
lol spam! ahahahaha. that's wsup. i love the stuff. :)

spam in ya eggs. spam in ya rice. spam in ya saimin. spam in ya sushi. spam in ya omelet. spam in ya toast. spam is zee best. :D

davoomac
05-04-2008, 10:07 PM
I want to say 10 or more. But I wasn't keeping track.

getting someone to play ukulele is one of the most satisfying things ever!

jaggtmolina
05-04-2008, 10:08 PM
getting someone to play ukulele is one of the most satisfying things ever!

i totally agree!

Guting
05-04-2008, 10:09 PM
just from the is this love/waiting in vain, choke.

KoloheBoy
05-04-2008, 10:11 PM

thats a very good example.

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-04-2008, 11:07 PM
One that i know of ;)

HumbleSounds
05-04-2008, 11:09 PM
I got 3 people to buy there first ukulele's in the past 2 weeks. My brother, aunt and uncle all bought uke's. Turned them on to the UU too. Though I don't know if they signed up, or what there Usernames are if they did.

Plainsong
05-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I have the satsifaction of handing over a uke to my brother-in-law and watch him shred. I don't have the satisfaction of being better than him. He is to string instruments what I am to wind instruments. He was an insta-expert. Don't ya just hate that? Like this girl I used to know who only rode a horse a few times in her life, was only into it as something to do once in a while, and she was a natural-born rider. My horse was torn when it came to her. She didn't care for her personally (with Arabians you can really tell what they think of you personally), but she enjoyed the working relationship.

tad
05-05-2008, 01:30 AM
None, unfortunately... although I wish I could, it'd make having all these ukes more sensible-seeming.

Well, that's not completely true. I have one friend I kept talking about getting one with, so I influenced her, but she ended up getting one before I did, so it doesn't really count...

She lives a while away, too, unfortunately, so no jamming.

seeso
05-05-2008, 01:58 AM
I've never counted, but I suspect quite a few. I know for sure i convinced KokoKaina (http://youtube.com/watch?v=c8YA1yXPMK4) to get one. I got Adellethegreat (http://youtube.com/user/adellethegreat) to get one, too. I've influenced Jennifer Rafferty (http://youtube.com/watch?v=o7XkPJLg2zE) to get one.

I get a lot of comments that tell me they started playing ukulele because of me, and there have been a few on UU that said the same.

Ball park figure? I'd have to say at least 20, maybe even closer to 40 or 50.

Pretty cool. :D :D

deach
05-05-2008, 02:00 AM
I get a lot of comments that tell me they started playing ukulele because of me, and there have been a few on UU that said the same.

You can take 1/2 credit for me. Dominator takes the other 1/2.

bluesuke
05-05-2008, 02:01 AM
4 maybe a few more

seeso
05-05-2008, 02:03 AM
You can take 1/2 credit for me. Dominator takes the other 1/2.

No way, seriously? That's really cool!

davoomac
05-05-2008, 03:00 AM
My friend EleoCasil is the one person that got me into playing the ukulele. I had never seen it before when I went to his house and he was playing it. He was playing "drop baby" and I was like I can do that too! So i stole his uke and didn't put it down for a whole week. :P

rclifford13
05-05-2008, 03:07 AM
I have caused at least 4 people to begin playing. Most of them are just my friends that see me playing and go out the next day and buy a crappy Mahalo. Hehe.

14twelve
05-05-2008, 03:18 AM
I've caused one other person to start playing - she saw how excited I was the day I got mine, and went out and got one the next day. And I've made another think about it, but I don't think he's got one yet.

nikolo727
05-05-2008, 04:54 AM
ehh I got a few people interested but barely anyone wants to play it around here. I got one kid though who really wanted to but he decided not to...it was really random.

I'm still working on it though. I got a few peeps that I'm lookin into though.

:D

russ_buss
05-05-2008, 06:24 AM
2 people so far. but i have yet to complete my missionary work for the church of UU. spread that gospel people!

drifterx
05-05-2008, 07:31 AM
i got 2 people to start playing...im trying to get more so i have more people to jam with.. lol

FrankNoCal
05-05-2008, 08:55 AM
I have been playing only a couple months and in the past two weeks three of my nephews have all gotten ukes. I also have been teaching my two girls (5 and 11), just small kine but they are interested adn that's what counts. None of my family here on the mainland played the uke, only my mom and she passed away two years ago. So it was important to me to keep it going, you know? Now hopefully we can get together at family functions and play.

Ukeguy510
05-05-2008, 10:10 AM
+2 ppl playing. I think I got about a dozen ppl listening to uke music though ;)

UKESTAR
05-05-2008, 10:17 AM
I have a few candidates right now that I am working on. Money always seems to be the issue when they want to buy one though..

JoeyJr858
05-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm just over 20 people... =)
it's cuz I teach basics on the weekends and I'm in my 2nd year now! hehe

ALSO, a chunk of that was the family I married in to... when they first met me, they were like... who's this thug lookin dude w/ my sister/cousin... then 1 day I pulled the ukulele out, and sealed the deal! HAHAH

Now their favorite music is jawaiian n reggae! HAHAHA

Gaby
05-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Seeing I work in a music store I am like a uke preacher! My average would be about two-three people converted to uke a week...and I won't stop!

Plus I started the local uke club which also got a few playing.

:nana:

Frood
05-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Me? I think with my skills I seem to be deterring more people than I am converting.

But give me another year and i'll be shredding it!!! Yeeha!

mr_dust
05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I have two uke-padawans :cool:

JackT
05-10-2008, 10:27 PM

count me in there, still don''t have that picking down though. Gnna keep Trying every night though :D

Anyways 2, have definatly bought a uke because of me bringing it to jam sessions etc. In a week of owning a uke thats not half bad :D

Kaneohe til the end
05-11-2008, 12:26 AM

this and the famous jake weeps vids made me pick up a uke, and as a result, i got my brother to start playing again. he played when he was little but stopped after awhile and his uke just was sitting collecting dust. now he plays almost as much as i do

SMillette92
05-11-2008, 04:26 AM
Three so far... Maybe more but I'm not sure

Craig
05-11-2008, 06:19 AM
My wife, best friend and two of my students at school.

It's such a fun and intimate instrument and even more portable than a guitar.

degracia
05-11-2008, 07:38 AM
I know I've influenced at least 2. But when people at school started watching some of my YT vids, I know at least 5 more got into it. I know that because they all bring ukes to school now and they've been watching my vids :D

Plainsong
05-17-2008, 01:39 PM
My theater group had our final rehearsal and performance today. Lots of hurry up and wait going on, in a theater called The Cellar, underground, no wifi, no cell phone signal. There's a prop ukulele backstage, and what a shame that it's not tunable and has two strings and an action higher than your average skyscraper.

That gave me the idea to bring the koa Flea with me, and it was a huge hit. One guy in particular really took possession and was successfully figuring out finger solos. He couldn't get over the sweet sound of it. Maybe I just added one more to the team. :D

Poi Dog
05-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I know I've influenced one person to take up the uke so far...

my son! :D

Jimmy
05-18-2008, 06:22 AM
I've gotten two people to start: My best friend and my best friend's guitar teacher, haha.

I gave my friend my first ukulele (he's a great guitar player, but he loved his ukulele so much he's getting another) and about two week ago I brought my ukulele into school to jam with a few people. Then the guitar teacher came to listen to us and he said he really wanted to get a ukulele. Then a few days ago he came in and showed me his wonderful... Plastic Mahalo concert. But he said he'd developed a fondness for it. Two people and hopefully more!