PDA

View Full Version : Big update to the forums coming today (12/28)

rayan
12-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Just giving everyone a heads up, the UU forums will be down for upgrade at 1pm HST. This is a big update, here's hoping everything goes smoothly but if not I will let everyone know on my twitter, twitter.com/UUrayan.

If you come by the forum and wonder why it's not working, tis why.

Hope you all had an awesome holiday season!

hoosierhiver
12-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the announcement and helping avoid a full scale panic (again). ;)

rayan
12-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Might be a little later, the database is still being backed up. It is ginormous. Many many gigs of Uke ramblings ;)

phanzo
12-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Might be a little later, the database is still being backed up. It is ginormous. Many many gigs of Uke ramblings ;)

I'm sure the PoHo threads don't help :D

sukie
12-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm sure the PoHo threads don't help :D

Hey!:D

rayan
12-28-2009, 04:19 PM
So we're back up, but because our previous theme was not compatible with the new version of vBulletin, I need to go and restyle everything. I'll continue to work, but I figured you guys may as well get your hands on it

camface
12-28-2009, 04:24 PM
AHHHH I'M SO DISORIENTED!! WHERE AM I?!

[/panic]

Looks cool.

KalaPineapple
12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
The site looks great just gimme a few days to get used to it!
:drool:KP

Hobgoblin Steve
12-28-2009, 05:11 PM
yeah I was wondering where exactly I navigated to. This is the more refined version of the forums. where the wines a little dusty, and the stage has that red carpet look

Lori
12-28-2009, 05:28 PM
I am kind of missing the friendly brown theme. And the type seems smaller and harder to read against the bright white b/g. I suppose I will get used to it, but it was a shock.
–Lori

Doctroid
12-28-2009, 05:34 PM
As I interpret Rayan's message, this isn't a permanent look. And I hope not; the colors clash with the logo. But at least post counts are back...

whetu
12-28-2009, 06:34 PM
As I interpret Rayan's message, this isn't a permanent look. And I hope not; the colors clash with the logo. But at least post counts are back...

That'll just be a default setting, it's only a matter of time before they're gone again... or maybe there'll be a poll :)

ritzer012
12-28-2009, 06:36 PM
love it ryan...thanks!

wickedwahine11
12-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Oooh, count me among those who hope this is not a permanent change. I miss the warm friendly brown, and all this white space is tougher on the eyes. Though I do vote to keep the post counts. ;)

wearymicrobe
12-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Rayan autopager is not functioning with the new software. don't know if its the vb4 or tags. Good luck with the backup.

ChamorroDT
12-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Whooaa, really different...Hmm...is this going to be the new layout, just with the original colors instead of this blue?

Big_e
12-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Oh I hate this vb4!

UkuleleHill
12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
You will get used to it, it actually much more functional than 3...

experimentjon
12-28-2009, 08:26 PM
When the old styling comes back, I hope the post count stays. Post count is so convenient.

Link
12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I am proud that UU has been alive long enough to need an upgrade!

cashew
12-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Rayan,

In the remodel, will you be toning down this very bright white? its a little harsh on my old lady eyes...

This isn't bad per se... its like moving into a new house.. its home, it just takes a little while to feel like it.

bonden
12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
I think it looks nice. Great job with the update guys!

ricdoug
12-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Please go back to the previous format in red. I'm finding the current search format useless. It always worked before. Ric

whetu
12-28-2009, 10:36 PM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23762-Big-update-to-the-forums-coming-today-%2812-28%29/

http://twitter.com/UUrayan

So be patient. We're in the middle of a big upgrade ;)

As for searching, I'd say that maybe the search indexes are regenerating, given the hefty database changes that are part and parcel of such an upgrade. As always, you can get a far better search by simply using google:

In the google search field, enter site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum <search terms>

HoldinCoffee
12-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Search observations so far:
First one I just did a basic search, typed in the keyword and hit the button: no results.
Second one: I clicked advanced search, typed in the keyword and specified "titles only": five results.
not bad.

Manalishi
12-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Way too LOUD for anyone elderly (Me!),decrepit (Me!) or with eye problems (Me!). It would be good
to have a choice in the skin chooser at the foot of the page,so people like myself could revert to the
previous one,if that is possible?

nohandles
12-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Pretty cool. I've been away visiting my folks and then rubbing out a Rickenbacker guitar I refinished so I just got on today after a week. What a surprise. I like it but I too had to turn down the contrast on my screen a little bit.

ichadwick
12-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Good luck with it. I know from updates on my own forum that these things are often fraught with issues and hiccups, and sometimes hair-pulling stress. Even after an update (especially after a MAJOR update) I spend days, sometimes weeks, tinkering with settings, and trying to re-skin everything. Then there's the mods and add-ons I have to tweak or re-install, add meta tags to HTML pages, rejig CSS files... lots of work.

I use Invision board (IPS), a comemrcial service, so there's a good online community to help, as well as staff for tech support. Hope yours gets good support, too.

SuperSecretBETA
12-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Woah... very interesting. I think a colour scheme akin to the original will make a world of difference. You'd get the best of both worlds. Right now, though, it's a little too space-age. The controls are pretty easy to get used to at least.

Uke.
12-29-2009, 01:13 AM
The new colours just make it harder to read everything now :(

Pete Beardsley
12-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks indeed Rayan. I have first hand experience of whats involved in an upgrade (and whats involved when it goes wrong!!!) so you have my utmost respect and thanks.

bluesuke
12-29-2009, 02:25 AM
I was concerned when I couldn't sing on last night . Im glad its a upgrade I was a worried you would disappear like ImHawaii

Melissa82
12-29-2009, 03:11 AM
Thanks for all of your hard work, Rayan!

I'm just going to reiterate AGAIN, that he said the original layout did not transfer over so he is working on getting back.

Patience, people, lol.

Mim
12-29-2009, 03:44 AM
Thanks guy! I did not read the warning and just went into mind panic last night! Haha! Glad to wake up in the morning to UU!

hoosierhiver
12-29-2009, 03:52 AM
I feel like my SO just came home with a radical new haircut.

CoLmes
12-29-2009, 04:08 AM
wel these are snazzy

Rzr
12-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Thank you Rayan/UU for all your hard work!

Ahnko Honu
12-29-2009, 06:05 AM
Now I know how my cats feels walking into room after the furniture has been rearranged. Just takes a little time to get used to. I too like the return of the post count, hard to believe anyone would have a problem with that. Hope the rep points never return.

Ronnie Aloha
12-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Good luck Ryan. Lots of work ahead for you!

Zaza The Rebel
12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm just trying to get used to it...overall it's just a little disorienting. Not too major of a change IMO, so...yep.

Good luck!

RevWill
12-29-2009, 09:07 AM
I have no problem with it whatsoever. I think it looks fine.

Lori
12-29-2009, 09:25 AM
It was a very smooth transition really, without any big glitches. Considering all that can go wrong with such a switch, I think it went incredibly well. I am getting used to the new interface, and I know you will fine tune things in the next few weeks. Congratulations!! You have steely nerves. Very scary!

–Lori

WhenDogsSing
12-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Where am I...???...:confused:

Ukulele JJ
12-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Dear UU Staff:

The new design is so distracting and hard to read, it forced me to ignore all the posts in this thread, including the first one, before posting this message.

Please change the colors, layout, graphics, and fonts of your freely-provided forum immediately! While you're at it, please adjust anything else I personally don't like about your website, for which you charge me nothing.

Otherwise I shall take my business elsewhere, and you will be out all of the money I don't pay.

Love,

JJ

buddhuu
12-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Dear UU Staff:

The new design is so distracting and hard to read, it forced me to ignore all the posts in this thread, including the first one, before posting this message.

Please change the colors, layout, graphics, and fonts of your freely-provided forum immediately! While you're at it, please adjust anything else I personally don't like about your website, for which you charge me nothing.

Otherwise I shall take my business elsewhere, and you will be out all of the money I don't pay.

Love,

JJ

ROTFLMAO! :rofl:

Melissa82
12-29-2009, 09:51 AM
ROTFLMAO! :rofl:I agree and I also can't agree more with Ukulele JJ.

buddhuu
12-29-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree and I also can't agree more with Ukulele JJ.

Indeed.

It's funny because it's true...

phanzo
12-29-2009, 10:01 AM
I am proud that UU has been alive long enough to need an upgrade!

:agree::agree: And I'm sick of reading about people DEMANDING a change back to the old ways. Ryan and the Gang wouldn't make a change that would make the site worse for us. It's their world, you just type in it. Get over it. If you paid to use this site, you would have something to argue about. But you don't. And we should be happy that they care enough about it to update it. Give it some time, they'll get it all worked out. Just relax, enjoy your uke(s) and it will all be better soon :cheers:

Melissa82
12-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Phanzo, I think your reply is a bit harsh... just sayin.

phanzo
12-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Phanzo, I think your reply is a bit harsh... just sayin.

Maybe so... it just gets frustrating to read the same things over and over. Things don't always happen overnight, they take time.

sukie
12-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Dear UU Staff:

Love,

JJ

Excellent post.

SFPOD

rayan
12-29-2009, 10:25 AM
This is not the final design. What happened is that when we upgraded, our theme was not compatible with the new version of the software. It's going to take me a while to redo everything so please bear with the inconvenience and tiny type. Also Mods, DO NOT move any thread i create. I put them in specific places for a reason.

buddhuu
12-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Maybe so... it just gets frustrating to read the same things over and over. [...]

The real grumbles, yeh - but that satirical take on the malcontent tendency was a hoot! LOL.

rayan
12-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Dear UU Staff:

Love,

JJ

LOL, I know this is a joke, but it seriously seems like this is the reaction I get for everything I try to do these days. oh bother.

phanzo
12-29-2009, 10:29 AM
The real grumbles, yeh - but that satirical take on the malcontent tendency was a hoot! LOL.

haha I couldn't agree more

buddhuu
12-29-2009, 10:31 AM
This is not the final design. What happened is that when we upgraded, our theme was not compatible with the new version of the software. It's going to take me a while to redo everything so please bear with the inconvenience and tiny type. Also Mods, DO NOT move any thread i create. I put them in specific places for a reason.

No probs, Ryan. Thanks for all the work. And thanks for not making us wait until the decor was finished before letting us start posting again! :D

Bummer that forum and CMS upgrades don't always offer backwards compatibility with themes. Been through it myself 'nuff times to know that headache well. :(

rayan
12-29-2009, 10:34 AM
No probs, Ryan. Thanks for all the work. And thanks for not making us wait until the decor was finished before letting us start posting again! :D

Bummer that forum and CMS upgrades don't always offer backwards compatibility with themes. Been through it myself 'nuff times to know that headache well. :(

Yeah, I figured keeping the forums down for a couple days is worse than putting them up all ugly. I knew people were going to complain but at least it's better than the hundred emails of "WHY IS THE FORUM DOWN???" :)

specialmike
12-29-2009, 10:39 AM
whoa whoa whoa... interesting new theme we have going on here... this reminds me of the Mac interface...

haolejohn
12-29-2009, 10:51 AM
LOL, I know this is a joke, but it seriously seems like this is the reaction I get for everything I try to do these days. oh bother.

Who are they Rayan? I got "friends" that take care of "issues":) BTW you keep doing your thing. I am semper gumby:)

pigwig
12-29-2009, 10:53 AM
WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

This is actually pretty interesting. I'm going to take me a better look around.

Doc_J
12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for keeping the forums up.

It's really not that different. New looks are good for change. (Nothing is permanent.)

dirk.li
12-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I love the new looks of the forum! Great job guys.

sukie
12-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Dear UU Rayan,

Don't let people bother you. If we didn't love it here we wouldn't be so "itchy". Did you ever for one minute think you'd create something that people are so passionate about? That IS a good thing!

Sukie

Kite
12-29-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll admit the colour scheme could use some tweaking, but I'm happy as long as the logo remains that cool :cool:

Rick
12-29-2009, 01:10 PM
The update looks.. weird. I like the older site.

Thumper
12-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Great job, guys - thanks for your efforts to maintain and improve this forum!

Fred Miu
12-29-2009, 01:49 PM
wow, huge, HUGE update.

i was away for a couple days and i come back to a different UU. im in some shock right now,but i think i can adjust.

thanks for the update :)

rogue_wave
12-29-2009, 04:56 PM
If all the same great people are here and this huge source of great information and sense of community are here, then I guess I will continue to send my check in every month.

Thanks for all of the hard work Rayan.

"Change is not merely necessary to life, it is life."
Alvin Toffler

P-co
12-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi guy's, not sure if I am missing something but there used to be the direct link to everyones previous posts in the statistics section of their member page. Was a handy way to keep abreast of responses to posts you may have made. Is this still available somewhere?
Ross

Melissa82
12-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi guy's, not sure if I am missing something but there used to be the direct link to everyones previous posts in the statistics section of their member page. Was a handy way to keep abreast of responses to posts you may have made. Is this still available somewhere?
RossYup, click your name at the top Right hand of the screen. Next, click on quick links which is in the bar in the middle and then click subscribed threads.

P-co
12-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for that, I went into the forum settings and clicked to subscribe threads so hopefully I can follow them now, I will check after I post this.

P-co
12-29-2009, 06:09 PM
BINGO! It's there so life will be that little bit easier now.
Thanks,
Ross:)

Melissa82
12-29-2009, 06:26 PM
BINGO! It's there so life will be that little bit easier now.
Thanks,
Ross:)No problem. I don't have much else better to do than use these forums so I probably know too much for my own good, lol.

Kanaka916
12-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Ross

Just click on SETTINGS at the top right hand side.

SuperSecretBETA
12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I hope my previous post didn't come off negatively. I just thought a different colour scheme would be awesome, which I'm sure they're working on.

haolejohn
12-29-2009, 07:36 PM
I hope my previous post didn't come off negatively. I just thought a different colour scheme would be awesome, which I'm sure they're working on.

Too late...The hit squad is on its way to your house:) they can only be diverted by giving them your ukuleles:) BTW, how do you lke your Mele? If you decide to get rid of it let me know:)

Dave Higham
12-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Don't know where to post this, so I'll put it here. There seems to be a problem now when someone posts a photo. The following post appears in the middle of the photo, or, at least, it does on my monitor. There are a couple of them in the Luthier's Lounge. For instance:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23608-Goncalo-Spruce-tenor&p=287944#post287944

Melissa82
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Don't know where to post this, so I'll put it here. There seems to be a problem now when someone posts a photo. The following post appears in the middle of the photo, or, at least, it does on my monitor. There are a couple of them in the Luthier's Lounge. For instance:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23608-Goncalo-Spruce-tenor&p=287944#post287944I don't see any problems with that. What screen resolution are you using?

HaileISela
12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Yup, click your name at the top Right hand of the screen. Next, click on quick links which is in the bar in the middle and then click subscribed threads.

there's actually also the option to see all posts a user made. You can find this now on the new vB also if you click on the name of a user.

Melissa82
12-30-2009, 12:19 PM
there's actually also the option to see all posts a user made. You can find this now on the new vB also if you click on the name of a user.But you could already do that by going to someones profile and clicking "see all posts" or something...

Um... don't ask why i know this, I do no stalk anyone. :D

HaileISela
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
But you could already do that by going to someones profile and clicking "see all posts" or something...

Um... don't ask why i know this, I do no stalk anyone. :D

I know, that's why I said you can find it more easily on the new one^^

bunnyflower
12-31-2009, 03:21 AM
Whoooooah! Go guys! Thank you for all your hard work keeping this forum updated and running. And during crazy holiday-times too? Y'all rock.

UkuLeLesReggAe
12-31-2009, 10:12 AM
i like the other layout :(

Melissa82
01-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Just noticing a little glitch. When I go into a forum and mark all the posts read with the pull down menu option, it's still showing them unread when I click "new posts."

dnewton2
01-04-2010, 05:33 AM

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23608-Goncalo-Spruce-tenor&p=287944#post287944

I have had this situation occur to my also. The link looks ok, but when there is a photo it seems that the posts below are not spaced out properly and some of the photo will be cut off buy the next post. If I see this agian I will take a screen shot to show what I mean.

ritzer012
01-05-2010, 01:10 PM
i just had the same problem...i searched for something and only got results from last month to now

Ronnie Aloha
01-08-2010, 11:51 PM
I played with a few searches and I think they only go back to 12/28, the transition date. The searches will not include dates beyond the transition date. Alternatively, if Spots did a search and it went back to November, then I could be wrong.

rayan
01-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Maybe this has been addressed earlier and I missed it...

I was using the search feature and noticed the archived posts only go back through November. I know the archives are huge.

Are old posts going to be put back for search/reference purposes (I understand this takes a long time), or are we moving forward from this point in creating new archives?

Thanks.

Yes I noticed that. It must be a bug in the update and hopefully they fix it soon. In the mean time, you can use the advanced search feature and manually select how far you want to search the forum with google by typing in this:

site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum [searchterm]

example:

site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum strings for lanikai

this will bring up search results only from the UU forum

Melissa82
01-11-2010, 02:58 AM
Yes I noticed that. It must be a bug in the update and hopefully they fix it soon. In the mean time, you can use the advanced search feature and manually select how far you want to search the forum with google by typing in this:

site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum [searchterm]

example:

site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum strings for lanikai

this will bring up search results only from the UU forumI did this in google and it has all the posts that were before the upgrade labeled with [archive]. Is there a way to put the archive in the search type list?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum+endangered&start=0&sa=N

seeso
01-11-2010, 05:04 AM
We have also lost the ability to display advanced search results as posts. Unless I'm missing something, you can only display advanced search results as threads.