S&J Custom Milo Pineapple has Arrived!

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
My S&J (Emil Bader) custom made 'ukulele was completed on 12/25/09. It is a super concert size pineapple. What makes this 'ukulele extra special besides my specifications was the fact that it was made of wood I collected several years ago while living on Maui. The body and neck is made from Milo wood I collected, and the bridge and headstock veneer is Pheasantwood which I also collected on Maui over 8 years ago. The Ebony fretboard Mr. Bader provided. I am very happy with the finished result. Review is in review section of UU.
While picking up, and talking story with Emil who should pull up but UU member Pueo, and his wife visiting from Huntington Beach Ca. He also purchased a fine S&J 'ukulele but I'll let him tell you what he got.
P1010038.jpg

P1010039.jpg

P1010043.jpg

P1010042.jpg

Last edited:
That's stunning. I saw a post you made about Mr. Badder's ukes a while back, and this one just makes me want one even more

Congrats

How wonderful that not only is it a pineapple (!) but has special meaning to you. May nothing but sweet sounds come forth from it!

TB

Beautiful, Ahnko! A unique uke with a great backstory - thank you for sharing that with us. I'm genuinely happy for you.

Wow! That is truly a gorgeous ukulele. I love the grain. That is so cool that you harvested the wood yourself and had it made into a beautiful work of art.

Uncle, that pheasantwood veneer is unreal! What a gorgeous uke - and I normally don't like pineapples at all! Treasure this one!

Wow! Thats is one nice pineapple Ahnko.

Jack

Pineapple ukuleles are my favorite. I think you have the nicest I've seen yet. Its so great that its made of the wood you collected.

Mr. Emil Bader dba S&J Craft (his grandfather and namesake a German who jumped ship at Kohala, Hawai'i and married a Hawaiian girl in the late 1800s) is one of the founding members of UGH "Ukulele Guild of Hawai'i. He's retired from an oil company several years now and has a little shop on the side of his garage at his home in Kalihi Valley, O'ahu island. He is strictly a one man show, and he grew up playing the 'ukulele and still does, so he prefers to make player's 'ukuleles putting emphasis on the sound produced and not so much the "bling" though he will do fancy inlays, bindings, etc. on request but preferring to showcase the natural beauty of the wood, and again the sound. He builds 'ukuleles because he loves to do it, and sells his work at reasonable prices to spread his aloha through his instruments and not in it solely for the sake of making profit. Very down to Earth gentleman whom I consider a very good friend.

One observation I want to make is that this 'ukulele came strung low g with a set of GHS strings with a wound g string, and me being no fan of GHS strings was pleasantly surprised at the sound this wound low g set produced, they really sound decent, and I will play then for a while. I'm really curious about how it will sound when I upgrade the strings.

Hi everyone!
Yes I just got back from Oahu, and I did meet both Ahnko Honu and Mr. Bader.
Ahnko's pinapple is one of the most amazing I have ever seen, and I normally am not fond of pineapple shaped ukuleles.
It's funny I also did not like GHS strings when they were on my Lanikai, but they sound GREAT on my new concert.
OK, OK, I'll start a new thread and talk about what I got when I was there...

Last edited:
Sweet ukulele you got there! I've never seen any other super concert pineapples. Do they exist in production ukulele lines?

I had never heard of a super concert pineapple when I ordered mine. I don't know of any production super concert pineapples even a regular concert being rather rare in pineapple the vast majority production pineapples being sopranos.

Great to meet you and your wife Pueo. :cool:

Top Bottom