Just bought a Ohana ck50mg

jonnyonauke

Reaction score
hi, i'm new to the forum and new to the uke as well, although i've been playing guitar for about 20 years. i've just ordered my first uke - a ohana ck50mg - and have the basic info - concert, geared tuners, solid cedar top etc.

but there doesnt seem to be much other info available on it. the ohana website doesnt even seem to feature it. i watched ken middleton's review of the ck-50 (i'm a new ken fan:)) but this seems quite different in some respects.

so anyone know anything about it - is it an old or new model, are there any youtube vids featuring it?

thanks to anyone who can help.

Jonny

It's a great uke. I've had one for a couple years. It has a very nice sound.

I wasn't really fond of the sound with the Aquila strings that came on it. I think it sounds better with Worths.

hi, i'm new to the forum and new to the uke as well, although i've been playing guitar for about 20 years. i've just ordered my first uke - a ohana ck50mg - and have the basic info - concert, geared tuners, solid cedar top etc.

but there doesnt seem to be much other info available on it. the ohana website doesnt even seem to feature it. i watched ken middleton's review of the ck-50 (i'm a new ken fan:)) but this seems quite different in some respects.

so anyone know anything about it - is it an old or new model, are there any youtube vids featuring it?

thanks to anyone who can help.

Jonny

Hi Jonny

Thanks for the kind words. The reason it is not on the website yet is that the concert model is quite new. The spec for the soprano version is the same except for the fact that the concert comes with geared tuners. Check out the SK-50MG on the site.

It is a beautiful instrument that has a loud, vibrant sound. All the 50 series instruments have solid cedar tops. this model has beautiful high-quality flamed mahogany back and sides.

I have a feeling that I did a comparison review of the soprano version on a video that I did recently for the Bosko and Honey Oz Safari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YatHdcIy6A

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks Dannn, i'm looking forward to getting it. you got any youtube videos?

Thanks Ken, i checked out your soprano video, that gives me a good idea of what it's like.

getting itchy fingers now, wont be getting the uke until next week sometime!

Reading Ken's reply made me realize I wasn't completely paying attention when I responded. My uke is a little different than yours. Mine has rosewood for the back and sides, rather than mahogany. If there is any difference, yours should have a somewhat warmer tone. It should be fantastic.

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't have any video of mine.

Reading Ken's reply made me realize I wasn't completely paying attention when I responded. My uke is a little different than yours. Mine has rosewood for the back and sides, rather than mahogany. If there is any difference, yours should have a somewhat warmer tone. It should be fantastic.

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't have any video of mine.

Yours is a superb instrument. It will be a CK-50G. It has a solid cedar top and solid rosewood back and sides. It has a fantastic tone because of the all-solid construction. I have one which I bought before I worked for Ohana.

CK 50WG vs 50MG vs 50GS

Yours is a superb instrument. It will be a CK-50G. It has a solid cedar top and solid rosewood back and sides. It has a fantastic tone because of the all-solid construction. I have one which I bought before I worked for Ohana.

Hi Ken

Can I just get a clarification on these models? I believe the 50WG is willow-wood back and sides, and the 50MG is mahogany back and sides, but are they solid wood back and sides like the 50GS?

I like the solid wood, but the willow looks beautiful. Have you played a 50WG concert? How does it sound to you? I like the sound of the 50G that you reviewed (a beautiful uke)

I am looking for another uke for my wife, and she prefers the smaller size (tenor is too big for her).

Thanks,

Theo

Hi Ken

Can I just get a clarification on these models? I believe the 50WG is willow-wood back and sides, and the 50MG is mahogany back and sides, but are they solid wood back and sides like the 50GS?

I like the solid wood, but the willow looks beautiful. Have you played a 50WG concert? How does it sound to you? I like the sound of the 50G that you reviewed (a beautiful uke)

I am looking for another uke for my wife, and she prefers the smaller size (tenor is too big for her).

Thanks,

Theo

OK. All the 50 series instruments have solid cedar tops. Cedar is a beautiful wood that produces are powerful, rich sound. The 50G instruments (soprano, concert and tenor) have solid rosewood back and sides with mahogany binding. I have played them all. Currently, on my CK-50G, I am using D'Addario nylon strings. These work really well and give the instrument incredible punch. This concert instrument would be great for your wife. You can get it with friction tuners (CK-50G) or geared (CK-50GS).

The 50WG and the 50MG have a highly figured laminate for the back and sides. The willow and mahogany laminates used are expensive (more expensive than regular solid mahogany) and behave very much like solid woods. Unlike cheaper laminates used in lower end instruments they actually sound very different from each other. Both of these ukes have a really powerful sound.

As you may know, Yan Yalego, the jazz player from France, has been chosen as one of the two acts to accompany Bosko & Honey on the Oz Safari later this month. He chose two of these instruments to take with him. He will be playing the SK-50WG and the TK-50G. He has, in fact, already made videos with them.

What is not fully understood by everyone is that Ohana are now providing a huge range of professional ukuleles. If anyone reading this gets the chance, please come to our booth at NAMM in LA in just over a week or at Frankfurt in March. I'll be there. Please come and say hello.

I am a new convert

I think you will love your OHANA. I love mine. Here are a few comments, but first:

A Disclaimer: I have degree in music. While not a professional musician, I have been around quality instruments all my life. I own a Buffet clarinet c1960 and a 1966 Martin 000-18. I know quality when I see it. BUT, I am new to the ukulele. I learn fast, but I don't have the experience of others on this list. STILL..

I have to say I'm a believer.

I am now the owner of two Ohana's: the Sopranino (21K: All solid mahogany) and the Pineapple(25G, also solid mahogany.) I've also played the SK-50MG and the CK-35L (see my post here) and absolutely LOVED them.

(SIDE NOTE->I have only minor quibbles with the instruments I own: I don't like the peg tuners on the pineapple, but understand it's probably best for the size and shape of the instrument. The pineapple finish, although very nice, is not absolutely perfect. Still, for the $189 I paid to the door from MGM, the quality, sound, playability, and pleasure I have in playing these really makes up for these small things.)

I played three examples of the SK50MG in the shop and each of them was superb. A small sample, to be sure, but I was impressed. I was shocked to hear these were laminate side and back instruments.

If your experience is like mine, you will love your instrument

I'm sticking with Ohana for now. I plan to add a traditional shaped soprano, and a concert to the stable. I also want to sample the entry level of the line, to see what kind of starter ukes they make. I've never played a Kala except for the Dolphin, which I love, so I can't compare it to that line. Kala seems to have a lower price point. I'll probably try one of their instruments to compare, but for now, I cannot say enough good things about Ohana.

OK. All the 50 series instruments have solid cedar tops. Cedar is a beautiful wood that produces are powerful, rich sound. The 50G instruments (soprano, concert and tenor) have solid rosewood back and sides with mahogany binding. I have played them all. Currently, on my CK-50G, I am using D'Addario nylon strings. These work really well and give the instrument incredible punch. This concert instrument would be great for your wife. You can get it with friction tuners (CK-50G) or geared (CK-50GS).

The 50WG and the 50MG have a highly figured laminate for the back and sides. The willow and mahogany laminates used are expensive (more expensive than regular solid mahogany) and behave very much like solid woods. Unlike cheaper laminates used in lower end instruments they actually sound very different from each other. Both of these ukes have a really powerful sound.

As you may know, Yan Yalego, the jazz player from France, has been chosen as one of the two acts to accompany Bosko & Honey on the Oz Safari later this month. He chose two of these instruments to take with him. He will be playing the SK-50WG and the TK-50G. He has, in fact, already made videos with them.

What is not fully understood by everyone is that Ohana are now providing a huge range of professional ukuleles. If anyone reading this gets the chance, please come to our booth at NAMM in LA in just over a week or at Frankfurt in March. I'll be there. Please come and say hello.

Very thorough and insightful feedback... thank you. I just saw your Ohana SK-50WG review, and I am more and more impressed with the Ohana line. I still have a bit of time (6-8 weeks) before I need to make up my mind and purchase the uke. Because of your youtube reviews and your postings, the only choice I will be making is whether I will get the CK-WG or the CK-GS. If I find my way down to southern california, I'll try to go to NAMM. (Is this just for dealers? Or is it open to the public as well?)

I don't own one but have played the tenor TK-50WG at a local shop several times and just love the sound and feel of it. I sure wish I could buy it but am afraid if I brought home another one right now I'd be sleeping with my uke's in the garage!

Top Bottom