Which two Mainlands?

iDavid

Reaction score
I figure a Concert and a Tenor are in my near future. Which wood would you guys recommend for each?

I know Mango is a few months off, so I don't mind waiting on one and getting one now.

thanks

david

Any two that are shaped like a pineapples.

Last edited:
I was at Mainland yesterday and got to check out all of the tone woods. My ears found the mahogany more palatable for the tenor. The mango I played was a soprano so hard to compare it for the tenor I was looking for. Without doubt the mango was the most delicious of all the wood options. Very amber/gold with a flamed look and ripple wave within the grain. Mike mentioned it reminded him of ocean waves rippling in against the shore.... Hope that help for a visual anyway.

Doug

Sure,

I'm going for the Tenor Mahogany. I'll pick up a Mango Concert when the come in. If I am lucky it will be just in time for my birthday!

Here are photos of my Mainlands. I have the Mango Concert in gloss finish, and for comparison, the Boat (Soprano) which is Mahogany and only comes in matte finish. The Mango Concert is my Husband's favorite uke of the herd.
–Lori

Attachments

• mango_concert.jpg
    mango_concert.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 29
  • boat_mainland.jpg
    boat_mainland.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 20
I've heard that the red cedar and mango woods have 'brighter' sounds compared to mahogany, so how do these woods affect the size of a tenor? I'm sort of trying to imagine it, but all I have so far is kind of a loud twangy sound.

Top Bottom