Do You Polish Your Uke?

Lori

Uke Crazy
UU VIP
Reaction score
How many of you use some kind of polish on your ukulele? Do ukuleles need polish, or is it enough to wipe it down with a soft cloth every so often? Which polishes are safe, and which are harmful to the various types of finishes? Is it OK to use waxes, or oils? I have both glossy and matte ukes. Should they be polished differently? If I want to add a bit more shine to a matte finish, is there anything I can use?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I would really like to know.

–Lori

I use some martin guitar polish and a guitar cloth on my ukes, works fine.

i've owned guitars for the last 25 years, and ukes for last 2. Have never used polish on any of em - dry soft cloth. It anything stubborn gets on there (from a gig, ie beer) - damp cloth, then dry soft cloth.

Only fluid I apply sparingly is a bit of lemon oil or fret doctor once in a while to dry looking rosewood fingerboards

I just polished my Kamaka with a cloth for the first time in like 6 months. And even then I only did the tuners so they won't go green in the island salt air, dusted under the strings, and did the fret board. I like the way my 'ukulele feels when it's not shiny clean, I find it much easier to play when your fingers will slide around the sound board instead of going "SCCRREEEEEEE!". I used to be freaked out about keeping it clean, but now I've realized that it's an instrument - they call it that for a reason, and it will be used. That said, no I haven't ever used any waxes or oils - I think a clean cloth is plenty.

I usually just wipe them down if I see a lot of fingerprints. But if I don't want to deal with really working to get rid of the fingerprints, I'll use some Ernie Ball Guitar Polish.

http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-4222-Guitar-Polish/dp/B0002GZTT4

All it does is help to get rid of the fingerprints faster.

On UV finishes (like Kanilea), I have tried Meguiars ScratchX, QuikDetailer, and Caranuba Wax, which really makes the instrument look sexy. However, I don't know how well it works on other finishes, and have not yet found an excuse to try.

I asked a luthier once which guitar polish was the best and he told me that none of them are any better than regular ol' Pledge.

I have used Howards Feed and Wax on fretboards and on the entire body of my Makapili and Boat Paddle.
It has really worked well for me. Hides scratches, gives a nice polished wax finish, smells great (orange oil, beeswax, carnauba wax).
You do not want to use this too often.

RevWill clued me into this wood care product.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?20343-Dry-fretboard!

Last edited:
I use Howard's wax & feed a combination of orange oil and bee's wax but mainly on the fretboard and sometimes on the bridge if unfinished but only occasionally on the body and neck.

Top Bottom